Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004, 03:17 AM   #1
L337 KR3W
CF Newbie

first car...

Hey, Im new to the site. I just wanted to know what is a good muscle car that I can start off with. It'll be my first car. Keep in mind that I don't have too much money. i.e. 6K and under. i know that aint a damn thing but someone has to have an idea.

PLEASE HELP!
L337 KR3W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:37 AM   #2
L337 KR3W
CF Newbie

18 people bothered to see what i wrote, but nobody said a thing. cmon guys i need some help here.
L337 KR3W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
SuperJew
I like pie.

how old are you?

you seem too young to be driving a muscle car...young drivers should not be driving muscle cars. too powerful for them.

and all that coming from me, a 16 year old.

i suggest you look elsewhere - maybe a civic or something.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
Simo
CF Newbie

a muscle car should not be your daily driver. you have some savings and a few more years to grow up and get a good paying job

drive a saturn

American Muscle
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:16 AM   #5
joshua2verizon
CF Newbie

i would recomend this site: http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

i too am looking for my first muscle car, mopar most likely. theres quite a few that you can find under 6k. i would check the description to make sure that they actually run. some even have rebuilts at about 4-5k, so check it out
joshua2verizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 06:33 AM   #6
Holden Fanatic
CF Newbie

Yeah dude like everyone else said a muscle car isnt a very good combination for a young driver try to stay with a small car like a Honda Civic.
Holden Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
galland104
CF Newbie

cheap muscle

L337,
I can't argue with the fact that at 16 you're probably too young for a true muscle car (the insurance cost is going to kill you if the car doesn't), but I'm not your mother, so here goes:
Given your cash crunch coupled with your desire for a true muscle car, I might recommend you take a real hard look at some very underpriced muscle in the form of 1967 or 1968 Firebirds, particulary the top of the engine food chain, the 400 4 barrel with a 4-speed muncie tranny. I can't think of more bang for the buck than a Firebird of those years. The Camaros, Mustangs, and Vettes are always going to be at the top of the popularity list, so you will pay premium for one, even one that needs considerable work. Not so for the F-bodies. The stock Firebird 400 (also available in RAM Air) with a Quadrajet/4 barrel carb and a Muncie tranny could leave the same year Camaro well behind it in a one-on-one, but Camaros bring twice the price. It's all supply and demand my young friend, so you have to ask yourself whether you want the maximum oohhh and aahhhs from your friends (don't buy the bird), or you want the most muscle for your dollar (consider the 400 'bird). The 'birds look great, and the 400 with its hood scoops and ample chrome, oozes testosterone. They are still a steal. On ebay motors, I literally saw a 1967 convertible Firebird with a 326 3-speed, red on red, in good condition, not able to break a bid of $4,200. Had it been a Camaro, it would have brought a huge price. Facts of life my friend. They are not hard to find, and are cheap. Good hunting.
galland104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

Yea listen a muscle car anit an old vintage classic that runs off steam and a average speed of 2.6 mph here.

Muscle cars demand a few things!!!

* Maintence and for the money you got i dont want to see what state the cars going to be in. plus you got insurance .. yes its a Chevy Yenko SC yea thats right pushing about 475 BHP yea... HOW MUCH ????

* Respect you cant be a boy racer in one of theese monsters youll end up having a fight with the car and chances are the car will win and youll end up getting yourself seriously injured or killed.

*Driver exprience Muscle cars are old duhhh! so there for much more expreinced drivers.. take it from me get a smaller car . i have a lil honda civic im a young kid too im only 18 .

Judging by what you said and what you seem like you want a beast to rip around town your young and dont have enough money to maintain the vechile. my advice is that you get yourself a beginners car a small nice freindly car and work your way up like most of us have to do!

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year

Last edited by Lukaz : 11-06-2004 at 01:37 PM.
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
76MonteMan
CF Newbie

I don't know about everybody else here and don't know your preferances, BUT in my opinion you should go for a 1973-1977 GM A-body (chevelle, monte carlo, el camino, regal, century, cutlass). These cars are easily affordable for $6K and under depending on what condition they are in. You can find a pretty decent one for around $2000. They make good drivers and have lots of potential. There is so much you can do with these cars to make them fast, but people prefer to not consider them for the following reasons:

1) They are heavy (depends on which car you get)
2) Emissions equipment (if you go for '75 and newer)
3) Reproduction parts and NOS (new old stock) parts are very hard to find. More than likely a wrecking yard and ebay will be your best friend.

You should check out the April 2003 and June 2003 issues of Car Craft and the September 2004 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. The April 2003 issue of Car Craft features a 73 Chevelle, the June 2003 issue of Car Craft features a 75 Malibu and the September 2004 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines feature a 73 Chevelle SS-454 and a 76 Cutlass 442. Check them out. Maybe you'll feel some inspiration.

If you get a 73-77 GM A-body, I recommend a 73 or 74 because they are the years before Catalytic converters were mandated. Unless out live in a county/city that doesn't requirre DEQ. I am currently in the process of modifying my '76 Monte Carlo. Last year I dropped in a 300+ horsepower 350 V8 and had the transmission rebuilt. I removed the A/C and lighened the load 90-lbs. This winter I will be getting the rear end done with an Eaton posi and 3.73 gears and the exhaust done with a Flowmaster 2.5-inch American Thunder dual system and DynoMax headers. This car makes an awesome driver. It has been my driver for the past 4 1/2 years. Insurance isn't bad either for $91/mo with liability and comp. coverage. I will be 23 in 3 days and am listed as a full time driver.

Dustin
Owner: 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau
My Website
My Cardomain website

Dustin Denner
Owner: 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau
1/4 mile ET: 14.45 seconds @ 94.37 MPH
0-60 MPH: 5.71 seconds
76MonteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #10
DaytonaTurbo
CF Newbie

For me and muscle cars, it's mopar or no car. I bought my 440 powered Satellite when I was the ripe old age of 16. I've had it for a couple of years now and have had no problems. I respect the car and the work I have put into it, and never feel scared of crashing it. Then agian, I don't do too stupid of things on public roads. One of my closest buddys can't even be trusted with an old beat up ltd though, so it depends person to person. I've got my daytona as my winter driver, and my satellite for spring summer and fall. To me, mopar muscle looks the best and were the only ones to make a real full sized muscle car, plus so many people drive the chevys, and I like something different. But if you want the best bang for your buck, chevys are the cheapest. Everyone and his dog has a 350, and they are just about the best engines hp per $. Their transmissions aren't the best, and their motors aren't as strong stock as mopar engines though. You can only really decide when you pick which brand you want. Just keep in mind that a Hemi RoadRunner or a Yenko Camaro or something is not going to be withing your price range.
DaytonaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
Dull Jack
CF Newbie

My first car was and still is a 1970 Chevy Nova SS. Like the previous post said, it's not the car so much as the driver. My suggestion would be find a buddy with a muscle car and convince him to let you take it around for an hour or two. If after driving it you still think you can handle the power then look more into getting one, but otherwise stick with something like a Civic or a Saturn.

And just to re-iterate, as young as you are you better have a good job, between insurance, maintainence, and gas you are going to go broke real quick-like.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:13 AM   #12
The_Wheelman
CF Newbie

It is possible to get a true muscle car for under 6k. If the car is restored than obviously it can be more than 6k. But a muscle car with minor problems can be cheap. Possible choices could include (depending on if you have a preference) Chevrolet Nova SS, Ford Mustang (GT or Mach), Mercury Cougar, Plymouth Duster, Pontiac Firebird. These are of course in no particular order.

EDIT: I would also like to add that if your a responsible person than a muscle car could be for you regardless of age.

Last edited by The_Wheelman : 12-12-2004 at 07:16 AM.
The_Wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:21 PM   #13
Futtbuck
CF Newbie

i think it was the 88 camaro, drives nice and right now i have a 1991 bronco damn it, i cant belive a have a shitty pick up

Last edited by Futtbuck : 01-02-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Futtbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:23 PM   #14
Futtbuck
CF Newbie

ah here it is:

Futtbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:56 AM   #15
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futtbuck
i think it was the 88 camaro, drives nice and right now i have a 2002 bronco damn it, i cant belive a have a shitty pick up
That is not a 2002 Bronco, just no. If there is one, that sure as hell aint it.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote