Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
The Value of CF?

For some odd reason, I have not been sheduled to go into work for almost 4 days now. So while all my buddys are out making their good money, I'm left home for hours upon hours As usual with free time, I'll spend my hours searching the internet, reading automotive articles, checking out new and soon to become cars. One of the main things I have found myself doing is aimlessly browsing arround these forums.

As I get to my point, I'm bewildered by the ammount of boring topics throughout our forum. It seems that every other newbie comes in here asking wich cars is better than this, can I do this to this car, will this car beat this car if I do this to it, I have this much to spend what should I buy, how much HP will I get if I add these items, and the list just goes on and on like that.

I commonly find that all the question these people ask have allready been answered over hundreds of times in our very own forum and even more times at other places so easy to find. I sometimes wonder if the search button no longer works; but upon further inspection it does. I also wonder if peoples brains function properly. Although I may never be able to conclude that, I can safely say some people just don't think. Beyond the repetetive questions there are meanigless questions with little or no information to even answer them.

People come in here asking should they buy this car, or what would be a "cool" car for X ammount of money. They ask these questions as if we are carsalesmen who live in thier lives. People, we don't know you; and we sure ass hell don't know what you need. Damed if half of us care what car you buy. These are questions that can only be concluded by you and research that YOU find out. Reasearch does'nt mean go ask us at a forum n expect us to maid all of your work to you. Now I don't mind butlering information to people, but it gets old after a while.

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of really good threads here. Like DodgeRida's project car or ChrisV's project car. Lots of the informative threads and interesting topics. I was under the impression that vwhobo had an entire section where he posted automotive knowledge and howto. Those are the kinda things that make forums interesting. Maybe if we had an entire section that has stickies of automotive knowledge there would'nt be so many repetetive questions from newbies. So where has all of the good stuff gone to? Will it ever be back?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
For some odd reason, I have not been sheduled to go into work for almost 4 days now. So while all my buddys are out making their good money, I'm left home for hours upon hours As usual with free time, I'll spend my hours searching the internet, reading automotive articles, checking out new and soon to become cars. One of the main things I have found myself doing is aimlessly browsing arround these forums.

As I get to my point, I'm bewildered by the ammount of boring topics throughout our forum. It seems that every other newbie comes in here asking wich cars is better than this, can I do this to this car, will this car beat this car if I do this to it, I have this much to spend what should I buy, how much HP will I get if I add these items, and the list just goes on and on like that.

I commonly find that all the question these people ask have allready been answered over hundreds of times in our very own forum and even more times at other places so easy to find. I sometimes wonder if the search button no longer works; but upon further inspection it does. I also wonder if peoples brains function properly. Although I may never be able to conclude that, I can safely say some people just don't think. Beyond the repetetive questions there are meanigless questions with little or no information to even answer them.

People come in here asking should they buy this car, or what would be a "cool" car for X ammount of money. They ask these questions as if we are carsalesmen who live in thier lives. People, we don't know you; and we sure ass hell don't know what you need. Damed if half of us care what car you buy. These are questions that can only be concluded by you and research that YOU find out. Reasearch does'nt mean go ask us at a forum n expect us to maid all of your work to you. Now I don't mind butlering information to people, but it gets old after a while.

Don't get me wrong, there are alot of really good threads here. Like DodgeRida's project car or ChrisV's project car. Lots of the informative threads and interesting topics. I was under the impression that vwhobo had an entire section where he posted automotive knowledge and howto. Those are the kinda things that make forums interesting. Maybe if we had an entire section that has stickies of automotive knowledge there would'nt be so many repetetive questions from newbies. So where has all of the good stuff gone to? Will it ever be back?


You know, I agree. It really pisses me off when someone creates a thread comparing car X with car Y. But what can you do.

About Hobo's "knowledge and how-to" section. It was called gearhead garage. It disappeared when Hobo did awhile ago. The excuse was "why have something around that was ran by someone who isnt here anymore." But the thing is no one ever said why he left, so you can't answer one question by referencing that question to another un-answered question. Everyone kept quiet about all that. I was about the only one who demanded answers and made a big deal out of it. Shortly after Hobo left... Adam disappreared off the face of these forums. Don't know if you were around...

I just checked on Gearhead Garage, because there is a link to it on the homepage of this website. Empty. Damnit.
DodgeRida67 is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 04:48 AM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Leads me to my next question. If vwhobo is here in the flesh. Why does'nt he tell us why he left. Or did he allready. I think I recall him saying something, but did'nt pay much attention to it. I've searched but can't find it. Somone have a link to that thread or hobo you wanna tell us why?
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Leads me to my next question. If vwhobo is here in the flesh. Why does'nt he tell us why he left. Or did he allready. I think I recall him saying something, but did'nt pay much attention to it. I've searched but can't find it. Somone have a link to that thread or hobo you wanna tell us why?


Don't think he has. He doesn't have to and I dont suspect he wants to either.
DodgeRida67 is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
As I've said previously, telling you the exact circumstances would serve no productive purpose. In addition to that, when Adam was still around it would have turned into a I said/he said situation and now that he's apparently gone he's not here to defend his position. As you know, above all I believe in fair play.

Suffice it to say that I took a position from which I would not back down and due to the fact that I didn't have the ultimate power I lost. When time proved that I was correct (the approximately four months I didn't post), I came back.

Alright? Alright.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 11-21-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
As I've said previously, telling you the exact circumstances would serve no productive purpose. In addition to that, when Adam was still around it would have turned into a I said/he said situation and now that he's apparently gone he's not here to defend his position. As you know, above all I believe in fair play.

Suffice it to say that I took a position from which I would not back down and due to the fact that I didn't have the ultimate power I lost. When time proved that I was correct (the approximately four months I didn't post), I came back.

Alright? Alright.
Thats enough reasoning for me!
I must agree with DSM. There are some things on this forum that are quite annoying, and I must confess that some has stemmed from my keyboard and mouse, but not a great percentage of it. There is a bull on this forum that never goes away, but there are somethings that stay and keep it to be a decent forum. I just think that everything would be easier if Adam came back and we had some "spring cleaning" of the forums. That would be nice...

__________________
John

StiMan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.