Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #1
NewbiRacer

Racing a Chevelle ss396

Hello my car is a 1969 chevelle ss396. Ive had it for about a year now and it was my project car ( i just really fixed up the body and resprayed it). I was recently at the canadian national drag races( i think thats what it was) and i notcied a lot of chevelle's racing. My dad suggest that i should enter some novice races and i was wondering what i could do to the stock engine to get more horsepower and tourque. Im not sure how much it has now cuase i dont have a dyno but ive researched it and they seem to have 350hp but i would like to get the number up to 400-430hp so i could be competitive. What would be the best thing to upgrade and how much would it realativly cost. I only have about 2-3 grand american to spend so any help would be great.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:29 AM   #2
chvyscott67

Re: Racing a Chevelle ss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiRacer
Hello my car is a 1969 chevelle ss396. Ive had it for about a year now and it was my project car ( i just really fixed up the body and resprayed it). I was recently at the canadian national drag races( i think thats what it was) and i notcied a lot of chevelle's racing. My dad suggest that i should enter some novice races and i was wondering what i could do to the stock engine to get more horsepower and tourque. Im not sure how much it has now cuase i dont have a dyno but ive researched it and they seem to have 350hp but i would like to get the number up to 400-430hp so i could be competitive. What would be the best thing to upgrade and how much would it realativly cost. I only have about 2-3 grand american to spend so any help would be great.
i'd suggest an aluminum intake, holley carb., headers w/ at least 2 1/2 inch exhaust, and if your up for the challenge go with a bigger cam, one with about .525 lift
Old 08-17-2003, 04:47 PM   #3
NewbiRacer

Oh, i was gonna start with a bigger cam, should i expect a rough idel if i go for a big cam? And when people drag race there cars is it best to take off your exhuast and just straight tube it?
Old 08-17-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

This isn't what you want to hear but.... First off congratulations for being mature enough to race on a track and not on the street, good on ya.

Now to the car. I have to assume you'll be bracket racing. The beauty of brackets is it's not how fast your car is but how consistently you and the car perform. Keeping this in mind the best thing you can do is leave the car stock, stock, stock. First off it makes an easier transition from driving it on the street plus you have less to worry about between rounds, just get in it and go. Remember in brackets fast doesn't equal competitive, consistent does.

If you don't think so fathom this. In the mid 1980's in California I took a track bracket championship driving a totally stock '64 Beetle, the slowest car out there every month, but absolutely dead consistent. I hope this sheads some light.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 AM   #5
NewbiRacer

This isn't what you want to hear but.... First off congratulations for being mature enough to race on a track and not on the street, good on ya.

Now to the car. I have to assume you'll be bracket racing. The beauty of brackets is it's not how fast your car is but how consistently you and the car perform. Keeping this in mind the best thing you can do is leave the car stock, stock, stock. First off it makes an easier transition from driving it on the street plus you have less to worry about between rounds, just get in it and go. Remember in brackets fast doesn't equal competitive, consistent does.

If you don't think so fathom this. In the mid 1980's in California I took a track bracket championship driving a totally stock '64 Beetle, the slowest car out there every month, but absolutely dead consistent. I hope this sheads some light.[/quote]

oh ok bracket racing is with the set dial so if your best time is 12.90(example) then your not allowed to go faster than that right?
Old 08-19-2003, 03:35 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
oh ok bracket racing is with the set dial so if your best time is 12.90(example) then your not allowed to go faster than that right?

Yeah buddy. I could do a bunch of typing to explain it but I'll take the lazy man's way out. Have fun.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/bracket_race/bracket_race.htm

By the way, I forgot to mention this in my last post. When it's time to upgrade, don't waste your money on a cam until you have the flow capabilities (carb, intake, heads, exhaust) to support it. A lumpy cam with an otherwise stock engine will actually hurt performance and make for a crappy ride.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 08-20-2003, 05:20 AM   #7
NewbiRacer

hello again, my friend has just purchased a 1969 chevelle ss similar to mine. His is in rough shape (not body wise) but comes with no motor and trans. He is wanting to know what the best thing to do is. Should he start buy getting a new motor or find one in a salvage yard and rebuild it?
Old 08-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
hello again, my friend has just purchased a 1969 chevelle ss similar to mine. His is in rough shape (not body wise) but comes with no motor and trans. He is wanting to know what the best thing to do is. Should he start buy getting a new motor or find one in a salvage yard and rebuild it?

That's a question only he can answer. How deep are his pockets, what is his skill level, how soon does he need to drive it, etc. I have alot of answers but not all the answers.

Old 08-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
NewbiRacer

he doesnt have alot of money cuase he's just a regular 16 year old kid flipping burgers, hes saved for awhile though (a couple thousand) and he says that it doesnt need to be finished right away as long as it can be finished when the drag strip opens next june.