Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
808state
CF Newbie

Cvt

Im new here to CF, and ive got something that I need some outside opinions on.
Im thinking of modifying a cvt into a manual some how. kill the non-believers, i will. my trade is ground support equipment and i dont know much yet, but will get into the swing of things later.
IMAGINE........ steping on the gas to 7000+ rpms and keeping it there and adding gear ratio at your lesiure. The trouble im having with this is choosing a foriegn or domestic CVT to tamper with, and what vehicle to modify and adding some type of throttle-like gear shifter. if you feel mechanically inept to preform a prototype of some sort, please post on this thread on your thoughts.
Yes I will probably break the tranny and im aware of belt slip in pulley driven CVT's
I was thinking of the Ford 500's CVT and modifying the CVT ratio control system. I would love to do a Mini S but that is a foriegn engineering monster of oil preassures and the paddle shifter.(triptronic) what i thought to rip apart was a 2005 civic SI becuase of the interesting center console, and the 160 horse P.
I need tourque specs on "light" (as in for 4-6 cylinders) CVT's and lowest to greatest ratios.
The ford 500 has 200 HP and has faster acceleration than any 250 HP in its class. Beating the accura and toyota models respectively. but how to assemble and control the ratio safely? If it looks too costly or far fechted ill stick to 5 speed T.
808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

I bet it could be done but I don't see the point.

If you Google up CVT there seems to be a lot of information to start with. I would investigate the different transmissions and determine the method of actuation for adjusting the ratios and then pick the trans based on how easy it would be to modify the control of the adjusting system.

Hmm, the more I think about it, I am starting to believe that this might not be that bad of an idea.....

Let us know how it turns out.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
D4NDO
Banned

go for it and post the end result because i want to know more about what happens.
D4NDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

I'm trying rto figure out the reason for converting a trans specifically designed for not having actual ratios to limit it to a few ratios in manual shift form? If you don't want the benefits of infinitely adjustible ratios, then aren't you really just building an automatic with a shift kit? Or are you talking about adding a clutch (which would remove the efficiency) and limiting ratios?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
808state
CF Newbie

my goal here is to use the infinute ratios to experience more control of the car. I hate automatics but the technology used in most CVT's are very efficient and most will not let you go over 1000- red line limit. i understand the reason, to safe guard the tranny. but screw that, I want a beefier cvt, lets say one a bit smaller than ford's and modify a honda to incorperate a manual method of control and not having to worry too much about slip or overall tranny breakage.
Not to mention a new wave of down shifting and racing!
Yes a clutch would be put inconjuction with the tranny. move the ratio manually from 1:4.6 to 1:2.5 or what everthe driver deems neesesary. (or fun). w/ the clutch, a person can skip through ratios and drive the car just like a 5 or 6 or 8 or 13 speed. ect. ect. OR like I mentioned above, keeping the rpms at say, 7k+ and adding ratio (as in, by a manual control stick connected to ratio conrtoller mechanically or to its hardware) to experience manual accelration in its purest form, no head jerks and alot of fun.
My goal is to keep some of the safe gaurding features and automatic modes for gas consumption (high way travel / gas saving , but having the option to take control of the ratios myself.)
The hard part would be the work itself, getting the tranny, putting it in and testing it out with, who knows how many faliures or attempts.
oh yeah and the worst part about all this cvt talk is, I thought up some type of cvt prototype when iwas 13 w/ a friend that now works for KECK Observatory. why didnt i make the effort to actually start then, i was 13 duh, and i loved dring stick shift by then. but now the cvt's are out with tons of reasearch at my grasp. not to mention if im deployed to japan, i will meet some great mechanics that will help me out.
(Chevy Sprints rock)

Last edited by 808state : 02-08-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Ahh. So you want be able to to remove the efficiency of the CVT, and remove the speed of the automatic, so you can say you chose the ratios yourself and moved a third pedal in and out.

Seems like a hell of a lot of complexity and cost to combine the worst aspects of all three forms of transmission...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
jdubya
CF Enthusiast

I am new to, so i am not totally sure wht a cvt is, can someone explain?

PRELUDE POWER!
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya
I am new to, so i am not totally sure wht a cvt is, can someone explain?

CVT stands for Constantly Variable Transmission. Basically this means that instead of a specific set of gear ratios in the transmission, the ratios are instead variable within a given range.

Example: instead of going from 2:1 to 3:1 in a regular transmission, a CVT can go from 2:1 to 2.1:1 to 2.2:1 etc.. and can even break it down finer than that. Think of a dimmer switch. You can vary the light intensity. Not just on or off.

Check out the link above for a more detailed explanation.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #9
jdubya
CF Enthusiast

Thank you, theman352001 for the info about CVT.

PRELUDE POWER!
jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
808state
CF Newbie

Ha

I liked your dimmer switch idea. A good way to xplain the varaible ratios.
The project is going to have photos by me to record the process so others can modify thier vehicles in tyhe same way. If not that, I sell the patent Im currently getting for this, to a manufacture like subaru or honda ect.
Ill see if they can some how develop a sports car that will have the Manual CVT in it. All I want is to own one and drive it around. I also want people to understand why I feel the way I do About this by driving one too.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #11
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

An all wheel drive CVT (GM calls theirs VTi):

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower.../vti/index.htm