Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I have cable. My friend has DSL.

Cable is good. It works for me. The down side is that you "share" the connection with the other users in the community so sometimes in the early evening the service slows down and you get lag. The up side is that if you can, do all your downloading and uploading in the late night as most people are in bed (like now...it's midnight plus 9 mins for me) and your connection speed can more than double. I average about 350kb downloading and about 250kb upload.

DSL on the other hand is a single line dedicated for "you." The only problem is that dsl speed is dependant on the distance your connection is from the "hub". The farther you are away from the hub, the slower the connection speed. The closer, the better. I'm just over 4,000ft from my nearest dsl hub, or less than a mile. That is excellent distance and I'd be getting a better connection than with my cable now. Also with dsl, you can get (at a higher cost) a static IP address for those of you that wish to run servers from your home (yada, yada). I'm not certain, but I don't believe you can get a static IP address with cable...but don't quote me on that...I know my friend switched specifically to get the static IP address and he had the same cable co. as me. I don't know if other cable co.'s offer that as an added service.

Hope that helps someone out there...It's late and I (apparently) felt like doing some typing.

G-nite all.

Wowser, that's way over my head but thanks for the info anyway.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:38 PM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I figured this pic might fit into a thread called "Smart Motorist", just for a different reason.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote