Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
JoO WiTH a U
CF Newbie

Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor

Hey, I just wanted to ask you all a question. I don't know too much about the internals of a car, but here it goes.
I was on a forum the other day trying to find out how I can make my car louder or have a deeper sound to it. I ran across a post in a honda forum and it goes as read:

Quote:
Cleaning under the hood of the car yesterday and decided to tinker with the air intake system. I pulled the four clips that attach the upper part of the box off.

I then lifted the cover, and lifted the filter up to it was against the top of the box. I took the clips and pulled them up so they supported the filter (the black edge around it) and the top of the box.

The filter is now up about an inch all the way around, along with the top of the filter box, so it still gets perfect air filtration while allowing increased airflow. It makes it sound significantly deeper at around 3000RPM-4000RPM, and then fairly noticeable elsewhere, especially at WOT. Sounds just like a CAI.

It took me two minutes to do. The car sounds great now, and didn't cost me a penny. If my words are hard to understand, I'll try to get some sort of diagram up shortly.

You end up by-passing the resonator for the most part now as well, for less air is drawn from the bottom of the car. The only downside is you're pulling in hotter air (closer to the engine), but I figure the increased amount of air should somewhat offset the losses.

I drive a Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor and I wanted to know if this was an effective way of increasing airflow and giving the car a deeper sound. Will it work for all cars?
JoO WiTH a U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoO WiTH a U
Hey, I just wanted to ask you all a question. I don't know too much about the internals of a car, but here it goes.
I was on a forum the other day trying to find out how I can make my car louder or have a deeper sound to it. I ran across a post in a honda forum and it goes as read:

Quote:
Cleaning under the hood of the car yesterday and decided to tinker with the air intake system. I pulled the four clips that attach the upper part of the box off.

I then lifted the cover, and lifted the filter up to it was against the top of the box. I took the clips and pulled them up so they supported the filter (the black edge around it) and the top of the box.

The filter is now up about an inch all the way around, along with the top of the filter box, so it still gets perfect air filtration while allowing increased airflow. It makes it sound significantly deeper at around 3000RPM-4000RPM, and then fairly noticeable elsewhere, especially at WOT. Sounds just like a CAI.

It took me two minutes to do. The car sounds great now, and didn't cost me a penny. If my words are hard to understand, I'll try to get some sort of diagram up shortly.

You end up by-passing the resonator for the most part now as well, for less air is drawn from the bottom of the car. The only downside is you're pulling in hotter air (closer to the engine), but I figure the increased amount of air should somewhat offset the losses.

I drive a Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor and I wanted to know if this was an effective way of increasing airflow and giving the car a deeper sound. Will it work for all cars?

1. No
2. Yes
3. No

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:53 PM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Re: Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

Quote:

1. No
2. Yes
3. No

NEXT!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
JoO WiTH a U
CF Newbie

Thanks for that quick and to-the-point response.. will it work for my car though?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Thanks for that quick and to-the-point response.. will it work for my car though?

If your purpose is to make the car louder, yes it will although I can't see the point in doing so. I mean after all it's a Mercedes. As for increasing airflow and performance, maybe under certain conditions but not likely. Will it filter as effectively as stock? Most probably not, and along with less efficient filtering goes increased and accelerated engine wear.

There's a reason that airbox is there in the first place. If you feel backyard engineering is better than DCX engineering I say go for it. Just be prepared to pay the price.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
JoO WiTH a U
CF Newbie

Yeah I don't plan on doing anything drastic to my beautiful car (after all, like you said.. it IS a Mercedes), but I just wanted to know what it would sound like. But if I DO like the sound that I get from it, you suggest that I should get a performance intake instead of trying to do it the ghetto way?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yeah I don't plan on doing anything drastic to my beautiful car (after all, like you said.. it IS a Mercedes), but I just wanted to know what it would sound like. But if I DO like the sound that I get from it, you suggest that I should get a performance intake instead of trying to do it the ghetto way?

Yes, just don't go the cheapest route. Buy a quality product like K&N, AEM, etc. I don't know who makes one but I'm sure they're available.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I wouldn't even bother with a K&N as these just seem to mess with emissions on most cars although it maybe diffrerent with your Merc!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:08 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I wouldn't even bother with a K&N as these just seem to mess with emissions on most cars although it maybe diffrerent with your Merc!

Please expand on your statement and explain how "a K&N as these just seem to mess with emissions on most cars". Thank you.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:41 PM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Quote:

Please expand on your statement and explain how "a K&N as these just seem to mess with emissions on most cars". Thank you.

For me and my 1987 BMW 325, the smog places wouldn't even allow me to attempt a smog inspection with the K&N breather. They said it was an aftermarket add on (duh) and since the car was "altered" they could not even try the smog. I had to go and buy a stock system and install and then get the smog check done.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 05:26 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Quote:
Quote:

For me and my 1987 BMW 325, the smog places wouldn't even allow me to attempt a smog inspection with the K&N breather. They said it was an aftermarket add on (duh) and since the car was "altered" they could not even try the smog. I had to go and buy a stock system and install and then get the smog check done.
vwhobo, I think Bavarian just answered your question. In my experience, older cars at least seem to run far too rich with a K&N, And anyway why pay 60-70 (UK) for an induction kit when you will be lucky to gain an extra 7 or 8 horsies?
Old 12-12-2003, 09:09 AM   #12
asa67_stang
CF Enthusiast

Q: why pay for 7-8 HP?
A: because it's a re-usable filter, when you notice it's getting dirty, take it off, clean it, spray it with the oil and you are done
price for the oil? somewhere around $9 depending on where you buy it, maybe double the price of a filter, but the bottle will last for more times than the two filters you could have bought for the same price

and if the smog place won't test your car
A) hold onto the stock piece when test time rolls around
B) get it registered somewhere smog-exempt

and just as my opinion, i wouldn't buy a K&N for a Merc, maybe the universal filter in place of a regular one (for above reasons), but not a CAI to replace the stock one

i wish i knew now what i will know in thirty years, that would be nice...

the 'net has warped my fragile little mind
asa67_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:42 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Because you bought a system that isn't CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified. All you need is the CARB certificate and they cannot fail you for the visual.
Quote:
vwhobo, I think Bavarian just answered your question. In my experience, older cars at least seem to run far too rich with a K&N, And anyway why pay 60-70 (UK) for an induction kit when you will be lucky to gain an extra 7 or 8 horsies?
No he didn't Cliffy old boy but it was a nice try. You stated "these just seem to mess with emissions on most cars" implying emissions output not visual inspection. You then back-up that implication with the statement in your last post. So let's get technical and stop your BS spewing.

I think we can agree that a K&N will provide increased airflow, how much or little is not important. On a computer controlled, fuel injected engine the MAF, MAS or MAP monitors intake airflow so the PCM will compensate for the additional upstream airflow. There will be no change in emissions output.

On a carbureted engine the increased airflow will if anything cause the engine to run leaner, not richer as you so incorrectly guess. The only place we come close to agreeing is the cost versus benefit ratio. But as asa67_stang says, the K&N is essentially a lifetime filter.

For example my new (newest?) Jetta a replacement filter costs $12 while the K&N replacement cost $55. In 20k miles it pays for itself and after that point it's making me money. The fact that I get better filtration and somewhat higher flow is just a freebie.

Cliffy, facts not fiction.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:09 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
vwhobo, Note the 'In my experience' bit, may I just point out that although you are right in what you say I was in NO way 'BS spewing' as you so politely put it.