Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
72firebird
Banned

muscle car prices make me sick

today i was doing my morning routine, which is checking out the sacramento bee and looking to see what cars where on the market. and its making me sick. i go through them and the only car you can get for under 5gs is a rusted up pos thats not worth $500 and theyre trying to sell it for 3 or 4gs. or things like el caminos (things that arent that big in the market) everything else is ove 10 gs and its disgusting. i cant stand seeing how much prices have gone through the roof. theres way too many crack heads out there going "hey i have a numbers matching camaro for 14,000. it needs a new interior and some body work." and you go up there and its a numbers matching car alright. the engine and tranny match up and thats about it. meaning its not the original engine and tranny but the two numbers do match cause they were pulled from the same car. i mean everyonce in a while you will find a good deal like this 1970 camaro lt i saw with a 454 and cowl hood and some nice tires and rims and a decent interior for 3500. but then you look through and see that any pre 70s camaro is over 15Gs even the rusted out no engine/tranny camaros are trying to be sold for over 7gs. i mean honestly what the **** are people thinking now days? another example was i saw a 69 super bee prject car , with a non running 318. a god damn 318! not running at that! and the dumb shithead wanted 11gs for it. and the body need some work and paint. and the interior was fixable. it makes me want to shoot all these crack heads. cause like everything else these materialistic people only car about money and ****ing people over. damn i miss the good ol days.

Last edited by 72firebird : 07-29-2005 at 06:24 PM.
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I agree 1000%, it has gotten crazy. Although I must say it has been good for business. Not that we charge more, we do a job for the same price no matter if it a model A or 'Cuda, but people are willing to put more into these cars because of the increased value they are bringing.

You can not completely blame the sellers....They wouldn't ask that much if there wasn't someone out there crazy enough to pay the price.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
72firebird
Banned

the thing is though half these cars have been listed on the sacramento bee for the past month. doesnt seem to me like there sellin well. they think that just because its a 67 camaro thats its worth something. a rusted pos is a rusted pos no matter what bag its in. they got a rusted pos and they want bufu bucks for it. its stupid. its so rare now days to find a decent deal. usualy you find them from the older people. its like the enthusiest are keeping there cars, and all these wannabe crackheads are buy cars to sell them at crack head prices
Old 07-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
adamc44
CF Freak

you should go crusing the back roads. lookin behind houses, barns and such. thats how i find most of my demo cars. i know it isnt much of a comparison, but sometimes you can get a pretty good deal on a car just sitting in the yard. after awhile they just want it out of there or something minor might be wrong with it so they just parked it. the worst they can say is no. i always leave my number with them and have got a few call backs. just my

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I love going down back roads, but at the same time i hate it lol. Kinda sad when you see something so beautiful sitting there rotting away, especially if the owner will not sell.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
72firebird
Banned

yea i know how that is. ive been badgering my uncles neighbor for the past 5 years trying to get him to sell me this 68 firebird that hes had parked in the dirt next to his driveway. the things sat there forever. it hasnt run in a decade. but theres almost no rust and the paints still decent (besides it being a shit brown color) and you can get good deals from these people. its mostly the younger people whove been ripping us off and making prices go sky high. and adam. you go looking for demo cars. i look for decent shaped resto projects, we settle for different things. but yea going in the country looking for cars is fun. especialy when theres a storage yard out in the country with this 74 donor firebird. the owner has been there to check on it in years ( i occasionaly will make a night trip out there for donor parts lol. it sucks jumping the barbed wire fence but its worth it)
Old 07-29-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
adamc44
CF Freak

well, i dont think im driving up muscle car prices, maybe, granny car prices. most people arent into restoring land yachts and i do know that most ddrivers wouldnt derby a musclecar. in fact, alot of ddrivers if they come across a driver, will keep it to drive to shows. but, the fact is, prices will keep going up as long as people keep paying.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
72firebird
Banned

yup. which makes us average joes shit out of luck in most cases
Old 07-29-2005, 11:32 PM   #9
72firebird
Banned

i mean even though we now have companies like dynacorn (im not advertising) that are starting to reproduce complete unibodies there still expensive right now. right now itll cost you 10500 for the unibody and its only the firewall back. and we have people building frames too. so hopefully in a few years the prices on those will drop more and more and we might actualy be able to build brand new cars for a decent price
Old 07-30-2005, 02:37 AM   #10
corbett_auto
CF Addict

And they are not stoping with the camaro. They have other thing in their back pocket. Also, if there is money to be made others will join in. There are some really good deals out there to be had it's all in who you know, where you look, and timing.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:49 AM   #11
adamc44
CF Freak

well hey, when i get that malibu (hopefully) ill make you guys a good deal on it!!! $20,000?? all original lol

Old 07-30-2005, 04:45 AM   #12
corbett_auto
CF Addict

sure let me know so I can be the last one in line LOL
Seriously, it does look pretty good, Let us see it when it's done.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:03 AM   #13
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamc44
well hey, when i get that malibu (hopefully) ill make you guys a good deal on it!!! $20,000?? all original lol
Sad part is in a few years someone might actually pay that lol.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
Oomba
Banned

Theyre collectors cars now, and growing rarer.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #15
72firebird
Banned

its sad thats why ive had my firebird for 6 years. it was my first car and i plan on keeping it no matter what. even if it gets totaled i can buy new frame and what not. but i think i might but i newer engine in it thats fuel injected to try and get some better gas mileage. cause with the 12mpg it gets now it doesnt get driven much. any good ideas on a good engine that isnt extreme like the new ls7. i mean i like the new camaro engines but i dont like the intake type i like tbi cause i still like the caberatuer and air cleaner look. and maybe any suggestions on a good 4 speed auto to mate it with.