Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #46
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
You could get a 13b REW swap which is relativley easy, I have seen MANY second gens with that done. It will have less miles then a turbo II motor and will not cost much more. Plus they are already a lot more powerful.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #47
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
You could get a 13b REW swap which is relativley easy, I have seen MANY second gens with that done. It will have less miles then a turbo II motor and will not cost much more. Plus they are already a lot more powerful.

Hmm...im not sure what you saw but i asked myself this same question when researching the FC and my conclusion is that im not interested in going that route. I don't want to do fabrication and look for a non-abused engine. The same case with the Renesis from the RX-8, its more than i want to get into. My mind is on a Turbo II engine and trans imported from japan, hence it will have low miles and it shouldn't be too expensive. The turbo II is a direct drop in. One person i spoke to got it done for $1600, not bad at all.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 PM   #48
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Yeah, I mean if thats what you want go for it, just as long as you know all your options.
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #49
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Yea well, if its done properly then boosted N/A will work, however, 350whp will be hard to attain. More than likely ill swap the turbo motor and tranny in and that will easily get me what i want.


there's a LOT to the swap from N/A to turbo. Much more than bolting on a turbo (which is pricey and unreliable on an N/A model). And you dont' just get to bolt in a 13B turbo or twin turbo wthough changing a LOT (trannies, driveshafts, and complete rear ends are differnt). There's the ECU, some slight structureal differnces in the nose, etc.

even the guys who have done the swap can't agree on what's necessary, but in all cases it's quite a bit.

http://www.teamfc3s.org/forum/showth...=&threadid=106

And even then, unless you buy a new or freshly rebuilt engine, you'll always have the issue of reliability at those levels of power. The RX7 forums are filled with peiople attempting it, but ending up with dead engines after a very short period of time.

Do what you want, but I already know which way I'd go.. again.

Oh, as to the sound of an RX7 with free flowing exhaust? think about having a chainsaw strapped to your shoulder next to your ear. After owning and racing a number of rotary powered cars over the years, I'm no longer a fan of the sound of the fast ones (even though I still like rotary engines in general).
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #50
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
there's a LOT to the swap from N/A to turbo. Much more than bolting on a turbo (which is pricey and unreliable on an N/A model). And you dont' just get to bolt in a 13B turbo or twin turbo wthough changing a LOT (trannies, driveshafts, and complete rear ends are differnt). There's the ECU, some slight structureal differnces in the nose, etc.

even the guys who have done the swap can't agree on what's necessary, but in all cases it's quite a bit.

http://www.teamfc3s.org/forum/showth...=&threadid=106

And even then, unless you buy a new or freshly rebuilt engine, you'll always have the issue of reliability at those levels of power. The RX7 forums are filled with peiople attempting it, but ending up with dead engines after a very short period of time.

Do what you want, but I already know which way I'd go.. again.

Oh, as to the sound of an RX7 with free flowing exhaust? think about having a chainsaw strapped to your shoulder next to your ear. After owning and racing a number of rotary powered cars over the years, I'm no longer a fan of the sound of the fast ones (even though I still like rotary engines in general).

You're right ofcourse, reliability is always an issue with turbo cars. There are a few people locally who have extensive experience with the n/a -> turbo swap, one of them helped me scout the car before i bought it. Ill be counting on these people to give advice. Regardless of what i eventually end up doing, i will have plenty of help and expertise readily available. As for a v8 swap, i suppose that can be an alternative if the rotary isn't satisfying.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #51
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Yea well, if its done properly then boosted N/A will work, however, 350whp will be hard to attain. More than likely ill swap the turbo motor and tranny in and that will easily get me what i want.

Way easier said than done. Asking 350rwhp out of a Turbo II motor for any length of time just means you'll become aquainted real quickly with how to swap out motors on FCs.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #52
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
You know, when I'm on the RX7 forums, I have to work hard in teh for sale sctions not to comment in the threads of people selling thier modded RX7s becaeu they are "tired of working on them." Even staunch rotary defenders are selling their cars because they've "lost interest" and are selling dead cars.

I just want to say, "if they are so easy to make power out of reliably, why are so many dead ones (or unfinished ones) being sold by high profile people here?"

I keep asking for hard data on long term daily driver status of 300+ hp RX7s, and I get none. And that's been the same for the last decade (since I first started getting flack from the rotards for putting a 350+ hp V8 into my RX7 and never having to work on it again...).

I love rotaries, and have put them in non rotary cars. But when it comes down to it, it's a lot of money and effort for not enough payoff. But, since it's a hobby, it's all just "wasted money" anyhow...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #53
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
It will be challenging, after all, this will be my first turbo car but the whole idea is to do a little experimentation. I think it (350whp) can be achieved if done properly and i will do what i feel is necessary in order to get the job done properly. As i said before i have very reliable resources at my disposal, guys who have many years of experience with the rx-7s and who own 300whp turbo IIs right now. This will also be a learning experience for me and im out to prove wrong the naysayers. If I decide its not going to happen, i have an alternative that i will go to.
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 AM   #54
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Just thought id do a little update...

Had the chance to finally spend a whole day with the car. Discovered that the sunroof does work, this car gets a lot of looks, rear wiper is out, trunk is dirty, this car gets a lot of looks, foglights are out, the car is LOUD!, this car gets a lot of looks, and i pissed off quite a few neighbors revving to 8k lol. Its great, i simply love this car. Im taking it to a car meet today, give some people rides and feel good.

Its amazing tho, for a car built before 1990 it has some advanced features. Auto adjusting suspension, sunroof, cd player + cassette + radio, air and a/c still work, power windows and mirrors, and a warm up procedure. I've just come to realize the true value of this car.

/gloating
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.