Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

New TT

I just stumbled upon this pic of the next-gen TT.http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/ima...40206144715147 Sure it'll be bigger and have more power blah blah, but the thing in this pic is just UGLY. Why must such a beautiful car be turned into THAT thing?!?! I know it reflects all the other new Audis, but the other new ones are somewhat good-looking, this thing is just plain ugly. What do you think?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
drifterv_2000
CF Newbie

I'm not the biggest fan of Audi, but it looks ok, not bad not good.

Last edited by drifterv_2000 : 08-19-2005 at 04:16 PM.
drifterv_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

What are you TALKING about...the old TTs (to me) just seem very.........round. I don't dig them at all, this new one looks kinda like a z4, I like it.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I think it looks pretty good, might look alittle better with a little bit smaller grille but i dont mind it.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
What are you TALKING about...the old TTs (to me) just seem very.........round. I don't dig them at all, this new one looks kinda like a z4, I like it.
agreed... the ol TT's looked like a redesigned beetle. The new one looks a lot better. It kinda borders the line between sports car and exotic (keyword: kinda).

Old 08-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The original was a certified work of art. Freeman Thomas and J Mays pulled design from both the original Auto Union race cars and the Bauhaus school of design, and created some serious artwork. You may have thought it just a "redesigned Beetle" but there's a reason it won so many design awards, and not just from automotive design experts. Art and architectural design experts also praised it.

Which means it HAS to have something going for it designwise.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
The original was a certified work of art. Freeman Thomas and J Mays pulled design from both the original Auto Union race cars and the Bauhaus school of design, and created some serious artwork. You may have thought it just a "redesigned Beetle" but there's a reason it won so many design awards, and not just from automotive design experts. Art and architectural design experts also praised it.

Really??? I had no idea. Thanks for the enlightenment. But then who designed the Beetle?? Same guys??? They resemble eachother for some odd reason.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #8
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

If it still soft and overweight for it's size and FWD with optional Quattro, I won't look twice (no matter how good or stylish it looks). Seems like it will be a big hit with the regular Audi crowd though. FWD based Roadster? No offence to the gay community, but that is just... homosexual (Thank you Mazda for setting the bar).
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #9
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:

yeah, but some people think that the mona lisa is the most beautiful painting in the world...and I dont.

For me, Even though it may have won so many designs, I just dont like it, Its just not my style.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 AM   #10
mx3_monster
im completely sane

this one does look a lot better than the older ones but i don't like audi that much. To me they are just a glorified volkswagon
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:52 AM   #11
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Are you joking? I love the look of that new TT. We have several Audi/ VW vehicles (which have been great), I expect that car should do well. I like that look, of course I do like the current one. I would love a Coupe one with the 3.2 engine and Quattro... that would be nice.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Really??? I had no idea. Thanks for the enlightenment. But then who designed the Beetle?? Same guys??? They resemble eachother for some odd reason.

Yup. The New Beetle was also designed by J Mays and Freeman Thomas, when they were working out of VW's design center in California. This was before Mays went on to Ford to be head of Ford's worldwide design team.

Mays has always had a slight Bauhaus influence (simple geometry. Think Braun appliances and electronics for a design example), and his design language tends to be very recognizeable. From the Passat and A4/A6 of the late '90s through the Ford Five Hundred and GT. Sharp transitions, not a lot of surface embellishment, and very high tech details.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-17-2005, 03:10 PM   #13
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
yeah, but some people think that the mona lisa is the most beautiful painting in the world...and I dont.

For me, Even though it may have won so many designs, I just dont like it, Its just not my style.

The point is, when a design is recognized worldwide by so many experts in the field, from modern art museums to architectural review groups to design centers, to financial magazines, it IS a good design. And if you're that out of step with the people paid to know what good design is, what then becomes your point of reference for knowing what good design is? Merely that it appeals to you or not, personally? And why does it not appeal to you when it apparently appeals to people paid to know what appeals to people? (ok, that was hard to type...)

I guess it's from years of architecture and design studies, and art appreciation classes, that I can understand and like good design even if it's not my personal style. I can't just go "well, it's not what I would do so it sucks." I do the same for the various genres of the automotive hobby...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 08-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Mays has always had a slight Bauhaus influence (simple geometry. Think Braun appliances and electronics for a design example), and his design language tends to be very recognizeable. From the Passat and A4/A6 of the late '90s through the Ford Five Hundred and GT. Sharp transitions, not a lot of surface embellishment, and very high tech details.

and that's why i love Mays's designs. i'm a big fan of simplicity with designing - i love the TT the way he designed it. its elegant, yet simple.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #15
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
..."well, it's not what I would do so it sucks."...
I don't think that at all, I mean if you like it, more power to you, I just don't. I Dont like rocky road Ice Cream, but a lot of people do, I mean its still a good recipe (obviously, since so many people like it) but I don't dig it at all.