Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

The history of M: The most powerful letter in the world

It all started in 1972, when two ex-ford racing executives joined up with BMW, Jochen Neerpasch (an ex-porsche team driver) and Martin Braungart (an ex-mercedes rally team driver). They changed the sports division of BMW, which had been experiencing lots of success throughout the 60's in many racing cups with their new 6 series, into a seperate company within BMW known simply as M for motorsport.

The first M project was the 3.0 CSL (3.0 for the liters and CSL for Coupe Sport Light):

Engine: 6-cylinder in-line
Valve linkage: SOHC, 12-valve/DOHC, 24-valve
Displacement: 3191/3498 cc
Bore x stroke: 92 x 80 mm/94 x 84 mm
Compression Ratio: 11.0 : 1
Power output:430 horsepower at 8500 rpm
Transmission: Getrag 5-speed
Suspension: Front: MacPherson strut, aluminum
Rear: Semi-trailing arm, aluminum strut damper units
Wheels: Front: 16 x 13-inch BBS
Rear: 16 x 16-inch BBS
Tires: Front: 300/625-16
Rear: 350/650-16
Weight: 2341 lbs.
Years of construction: 1972-1975

Which won 5 European Touring Car Championships during its run, along with national championships in many european countries. CSLs were so successful they continued to win races into the late 1970s even though production ended in 1975 to make way for its successor, the 6 Series.

But the very first Car put into production by M, which could actually be bought by the general public was the M1:

Originally designed in 1978 by Giorgetto Giugiaro, it never saw any factory sponsored sanctioned touring races because of production and homologation requirments it failed to meet. It did however enjoy success by privately owned race teams.

The car was originally being produced in a lamborghini plant, and was designed by an italian, which explains its italianesque styling and feel. Its often described as an italian supercar with a german twist, being the twin cam straight six wailing behind your right ear.

Cylinders: 6 in-line, mid mounted
Capacity: 3453cc
Power: 277hp @ 6500rpm
Torque: 243lb @ 5000rpm
Weight: 3175lb
Max Speed: 162mph
Acceleration: 0-60mph in 5.5sec
Fuel Consuption: 14.4mpg
Front Wheels/Tires: Alloy 7x16 205/55 VR16
Rear Wheels/Tires: Alloy 8x16 225/50 VR 16
Engine Mangement System: Kugelfischer-Bosh Mechanical injection

It ended its production run in 1981 and the world had to wait 3 more years for the next M badged, road going beast, the 635csi:

Cylinders
6 in-line, mid mounted 24 valve

Capacity-3453 cc
Power-256 hp @ 6500rpm
Torque-243 hp @ 4500rpm
Weight-3570 lbs
Max Speed-149 mph
Acceleration-0-60 mph in 6.8 sec
Fuel Consumption-10 mpg city/19 mpg highway
Engine Management System-Bosch Motronic

Performance

0-60 mph 6.6 sec
0-100 mph 15.7 sec
Top Speed 149 mph

This car was a regular e24 6 series with a slightly detuned M1 engine mounted in it. Now since the chassis was never designed to hold this engine, it had to be mounted at an dd 30 degree angle, The M balanced out the e24 chassis with a close ratio gearbox, a MUCH improved suspension and servo assisted brakes on all four corners.

The car was still rather luxurious though, equipped with power leather seats, climate control, and an electric sunroof, the sport minded midll aged business man was still in comfort as he carved corners.

Although it was a heavy car, it had great performance for the time. This put it in a pretty heavy price bracket, making it compete with the likes of Porsche with thier 928, and ferrari with their 308 GTS.

Now while the 635csi was tearing the road up from 1984-1989, M also released (in the same year) the e28 M5:

The e28 M5 is a four door sedan, featuring the same engine contained in the
635csi, the M1 engine. Id like to go off on the e28, but Id rather leave that to our resident e28 owner...Bav, anything to add?

Well, the M5 ended its run in 1987, but thank god they already had something out that would fill the gap left by the e28 m5.

More on next post....
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 AM   #2
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

when is the next post???? I can't wait!!

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 AM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Ahhh, Nice sleep....So where was I?

Oh yes, the e28's M successor.

The e30 M3, hit the market in 1987, and the world was in awe:

The first ever M3.

Cylinders:16 valve inline 4
Capacity:152.2 Cu.in.
Power:195
Torque:170 ft/lbs.
Weight:2733 lbs.
Horsepower/Weight:14.02 lbs./hp
Length:171.1 in.
Width:66.1 in.
Height:53.9 in.
Wheelbase:101.0 in.
Top Speed:143mph
0-60 mph:5.7 sec

This car, simply put is a masterpiece. If Leonardo DaVinci had been born in the 20th century, he wouldn't be a painter, he would be a designer at BMW and has masterpeice would have been the e30 M3, not the mona lisa. But as fate would have it, ol' leo was born in 1452.

But anyway, This car was built with racing in mind, everything on it that loks so beautiful is there because of racing, its form followed function. The rear spolier integrated into the trunk lid is fully funtional, the famous wide body wheel wells are there because accoarding to rules in the european touring cup, the wheels and tires could be as wide as the racers wanted, they just had to fit within the stock wheel wells. Hence the bulges. Even the rear windows shape was changed from the regular 3 series for aerodynamic reasons.

Its performance for the day was spectaular. Because the car is so light and has near perfect weight distribution, its an auto crossers dream. A flick of the wrist and the car will slide, grip, change directions all depending on what you want it to do.

Sadly in 1991, the M3 left us.

But dont worry, The e34 M5 had been released in 1988 and was still there until 1995 for all those who couldn't live without M.

Wheelbase: 2761mm
Track(F/R): 1472/1495mm
Length: 4720mm
Width: 1751mm
Height: 1392mm
Engine: Cast iron (Block) Aluminium alloy (Head)
3.6 liter inline 6-cylinder DOHC
4 Valves/Cylinder
Water Cooled
Injection: Bosch Motronic engine management system
Gearbox: Five-speed with overdrive 5th gear
Top: 0.81
4th: 1.00
3rd: 1.35
2nd: 2.08
1st: 3.51
Final drive: 3.91

Front Wheels/Tires: 17x8, 235/45ZR17
Rear Wheels/Tires: 17x8, 235/45ZR17 (sedan)
17x9, 255/40ZR17 (wagon)
Brakes: Ventilated discs front, solid rear, Vacuum servo
Bosch anti-lock system
12.4in (font) 11.8in (rear)
Performance: 0-60 mph in 6 secs
Maximum speed: 155 mph (electronically limited)
Total made: 12,249

The e34 m5 Is a classic BMW...Not meaning its a classic car (not that its not), but its a classic example of BMW. Its very calm, very luxurious, very comfortable, with the ability to go to the track and whomp on many-a-miata (SCCA Boys).

It handles like a giant four door would, the only difference is, that while its straining to make that turn it still feels complacent, as if you can keep pushing it, which is what makes it so amazing.

With 315 BHP and 265 lb ft at its disposal, this car was no slouch in the straights either. It was propelled from 0-60 mph in just about 6 seconds and the 1320 in about 15.5 secs.

Not bad fror 1988.

The E34 went out of production in 1995 and with it, the M5.

Last edited by Zalight : 09-24-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Eberhard von Kunheim and Bob Luts joined BMW in 1970, when they were simply a small, Bavarian company (in fact, von Kunheim said at the time, they weren't really even a German company, as they were too small).

They decided to move upmarket, take control over their importers worldwide, and push their racing engineering. Lutz hired Neerpasch and Braungar and formed the M division. And he took back the marketing rights to the cars from the importers in Europe (BMW already ownd the rights in the US). Without doing that, BMW would not have made enough money to survive the '70s, or build the M series cars.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Then theres what I think is one of the most exotic bimmers out there, The e31 850csi:

Price: $98,000 (1994)
Miles Per Gallon: 12/20 mpg
Curb Weight: 4240 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual

Engine:
Type: V12
Displacement: 5576 cc
Horsepower: 372 bhp @ 5300 rpm
Torque: 402 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Redline: 6400 rpm

Performance:
0-60 mph: 5.9 sec
0-100 mph: 14.3 sec
Quarter Mile: 14.4 sec @ 100.5 mph
Skidpad: .89g
Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)
Braking, 60-0 mph: 135 ft
Slalom Speed: 62.0 mph

This car is not a traditional sports car. In fact its not really a sports car at all, with a weight of 4240lbs its more of a grand touring car. That doesn't mean its a slouch though, It carves corners like a BMW should, and has deep wells of power that the car uses to overtake people on the freeway in any of its six gears.

It drives like a GT car with comfort and luxury at your fingertips, and a nice quiet smooth engine with copious amounts of power.

This car is for the business man with taste, and a need to be able to pull up to a meeting and turn a few heads.

Last edited by Zalight : 09-24-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 AM   #6
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Next Up on the M timeline Is my personal favorite, The beautiful e36 M3:

Price: $40,000
Miles Per Gallon: 19.8 mpg
Curb Weight: 3150 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual

Engine :
Type: Inline-6
Displacement: 3152 cc
Horsepower: 240 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 236 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm
Redline: 6800 rpm

Performance:
0-60 mph: 5.5 sec
0-100 mph: 14.3 sec
Quarter Mile: 14.0 sec @ 97 mph
Skidpad: .91g
Top Speed: 137 mph (limited)
Braking, 60-0 mph: 114 ft
Slalom Speed: 63.6 mph

This is it. The quintissential M3. This car was awarded "The best handling car at any price" by Road and Track magazine, found here:
http://www.ziplink.net/~ctroiane/M3a...st%20Handling/

It won this title against competition like the Toyota supra turbo, The 911 Carrera S, The boxster, the Dodge Viper GTS, The C5 Corvette Z51, The NSX-T, and The Ferrari f355. This car handles like its on rails, It takes turns faster than you would think physically possible. I find no greater joy, than taking someone who hasn't been in my car before on a freeway off ramp (you know, the big sweeping circle ones) at 75 mph, The tires screaming for grip and the G's pushing you into the door, but the car NEVER bites back. In fact, even then, the car will let you keep pushing it, and you feel confident to keep pushing it to the next level.

It is so accepting of whatever you do to it, You could be at the edge of your grip and change directions on a dime and the car does it comfortably without tearing your arms off. The reason this car feels so confident is because of the amazing driver feedback, the steering is incredible, you can feel every bump or hint of any change on the ground right at your finger tips and adjust accordingly.

And although its not the fastest car in the straight, it still hits a 14 flat in the quarter and sprints from 0-60mph in an impressive 5.5 seconds. But if you by this car for quarter mile times, you are not buying it for what it was built for, the turns.

Last edited by Zalight : 09-25-2005 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Slapshot
CF Enthusiast

that e31 850, i saw one of them at my schools car pool drop-off thingy, it was pretty cool, my brother thought it was a piece of shit (brother not to smart, i posted a pic of him in that post your pic thing) so i whacked him, that was fun, and immature, owell.

Bantam "A" team: Oakland Bears (Ice)

Bantam "AA" team: NorCal Rush (In-Line)

A+ Girlfriend

Damn I got it made
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

The 8-series and the M1 have always been my favorites.

Notice that BMW didnt team up with anyone from GM. Gee, I wonder why

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
I find no greater joy, than taking someone who hasn't been in my car before on a freeway off ramp (you know, the big sweeping circle ones) at 75 mph, The tires screaming for grip and the G's pushing you into the door, but the car NEVER bites back. In fact, even then, the car will let you keep pushing it, and you feel confident to keep pushing it to the next level.

It is so accepting of whatever you do to it, You could be at the edge of your grip and change directions on a dime and the car does it comfortably without tearing your arms off. The reason this car feels so confident is because of the amazing driver feedback, the steering is incredible, you can feel every bump or hint of any change on the ground right at your finger tips and adjust accordingly.

I hate you.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #11
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
The 8-series and the M1 have always been my favorites.

Notice that BMW didnt team up with anyone from GM. Gee, I wonder why

GM always has to get someone else to do something for them if they deal with other companies...sheesh

Ford isnt guiltless either, lets not forget the Taurus SHO wouldn't of ever came to be without Yamaha

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #12
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
GM always has to get someone else to do something for them if they deal with other companies...sheesh

Ford isnt guiltless either, lets not forget the Taurus SHO wouldn't of ever came to be without Yamaha
Yeah, but later on Ford started putting in their own V8s instead of a Yamaha V6.
But then again, Ford has also done things for British car companies in the past as well as German car companies.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Yeah, but later on Ford started putting in their own V8s instead of a Yamaha V6.
But then again, Ford has also done things for British car companies in the past as well as German car companies.

I thought the 220hp 3.4L V6 in the SHO was purely Yamaha based. And always was.

According to this it was always a Yamaha engine...

http://www.shoclub.com/SHO%20History/SHObasics.html

I think Ford has had some good and bad with other companies (the SHO being good).

I honestly think and this is hard to argue against. Ford ruined the quality completely of Land Rover (in the reliability sense). Land Rover hasnt jumped much higher than 5th from bottom among autop manufacturers ever since ford aquired them. Jaguar hasn't been great either. Maybe Ford just has bad luck with the Brits?

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-28-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I thought the 220hp 3.4L V6 in the SHO was purely Yamaha based. And always was.

According to this it was always a Yamaha engine...

http://www.shoclub.com/SHO%20History/SHObasics.html

I think Ford has had some good and bad with other companies (the SHO being good).

I honestly think and this is hard to argue against. Ford ruined the quality completely of Land Rover (in the reliability sense). Land Rover hasnt jumped much higher than 5th from bottom among autop manufacturers ever since ford aquired them. Jaguar hasn't been great either. Maybe Ford just has bad luck with the Brits?

Actually, reliability in Jags has gone way up since Ford took over. I don't know if the same can be said for Land Rover though. I don't think Ford has had bad luck with the brits. Ford is huge in Britain, and there are a lot of models that you can't get here in North America. If there are any brits browsing here, please confirm this?

Last edited by Mathew : 09-28-2005 at 03:39 AM.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #15
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Actually, reliability in Jags has gone way up since Ford took over. I don't know if the same can be said for Land Rover though. I don't think Ford has had bad luck with the brits. Ford is huge in Britain, and there are a lot of models that you can't get here in North America. If there are any brits browsing here, please confirm this?

Land Rover has yet to move from the near bottom of the brand reliability list.

Jaguar I havent checked in a while, but from what I remember they werent much higher than Land Rover.

According to this 2003 JD Power, INITIAL reliability for Land Rover was 190 problems per 100 vehicles. Which put it at 2nd to last on the entire brand name plate list. It was only beat out by Hummer which had 225 problems per 100 vehicles. Jaguar had a good report on initial in 2003, only 122 problems per 100 vehicles putting between the best and average.

Okay now I just pulled up a 2005 3-year (long term) reliability list.

Land Rover again was 2nd to last with 395 problems per 100 vehicles with only Kia behind them with 397 problems per 100 vehicles. Basically very poor.
Jaguar had 268 problems per 100 vehicles which put it dead between average and last place. Basically below average/fair.

The Average for the long term test above was 237 problems per 100 vehicles. Top brand was Lexus with only 139 problems per 100 vehicles. This means that you are more likely to have a problem with your Land Rover within 90 days of ownership than a Lexus with 3 years on the car. Kind of, pathetic.

~Blow your mind~

Last edited by thunderbird1100 : 09-28-2005 at 05:00 PM.