Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #106
6000LE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
The NSX is actually a very easy car to drive easily. It's when you push it, it's unforgiving (Mid engine RWD). I've gotten the privledge to drive around quite a few stock and (highly) modded NSXs.

Most NSX owners dont look any farther in the aftermarket than
www.scienceofspeed.com and
Comptech

Only a few go rouge and try a twin turbo setup.

well the most expensive thing i drove was a 2005 TL
mad nice
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:49 PM   #107
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000LE
well the most expensive thing i drove was a 2005 TL
mad nice

Nice eh? Just the looks of the interior and exterior was enough to convince me to buy one.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #108
aerith

Ok, I don't want to quote to many people so, i'll just assume everyone has read every reply on this thread and still remembers it.

The HP restriction in Japan was not bound to only Japan, it was a gentleman's agreement among all the Japanese manufacturers. They agreed to keep the horsepower below 300hp on all cars they manufacture. It was to prevent a horsepower war that has been going on among the domestics for decades now. But recently Honda and Subaru broke that agreement and now everyone is taking up arms for the upcoming HP war. Honda broke the agreement with the introduction of the RL/ Legend with 300hp and Subaru broke it with the 300hp WRX STi. So, now since the agreement is broken; get ready for some high hp imports. Its not that Asian imports want to have small engines, its they choose to. The G35 GTR is coming out soon with 437hp, Toyota is working on a super car, and Honda has the new NSX. So now the agreement is broken; the Asian big block powerplants will pump out more or the same amount of horsepower as all the steriod injected domestics are right now and probaly with better efficency to top it off. Better efficency you say? Give me a domestic car that can top the Insight in MPG, or top 120hp per litre (S2000) engine, or even come close to Honda's technology in the efficency department.

RX-7 compared to a NSX? Don't get me wrong, the RX-7 is a great car, but its no contender against a NSX. Maybe a RX-7 with a engine transplant may contend. But with the standard 13b rotary engine; it doesnt come close.

Another point; i think the NSX may actually be aiming for the Viper SRT-10 if they are planning to put a V10 in.

Last edited by aerith : 09-29-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 PM   #109
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Ok, I don't want to quote to many people so, i'll just assume everyone has read every reply on this thread and still remembers it.

The HP restriction in Japan was not bound to only Japan, it was a gentleman's agreement among all the Japanese manufacturers. They agreed to keep the horsepower below 300hp on all cars they manufacture. It was to prevent a horsepower war that has been going on among the domestics for decades now. But recently Honda and Subaru broke that agreement and now everyone is taking up arms for the upcoming HP war. Honda broke the agreement with the introduction of the RL/ Legend with 300hp and Subaru broke it with the 300hp WRX STi. So, now since the agreement is broken; get ready for some high hp imports. Its not that Asian imports want to have small engines, its they choose to. The G35 GTR is coming out soon with 437hp, Toyota is working on a super car, and Honda has the new NSX. So now the agreement is broken; the Asian big block powerplants will pump out more or the same amount of horsepower as all the steriod injected domestics are right now and probaly with better efficency to top it off. Better efficency you say? Give me a domestic car that can top the Insight in MPG, or top 120hp per litre (S2000) engine, or even come close to Honda's technology in the efficency department.

RX-7 compared to a NSX? Don't get me wrong, the RX-7 is a great car, but its no contender against a NSX. Maybe a RX-7 with a engine transplant may contend. But with the standard 13b rotary engine; it doesnt come close.

Another point; i think the NSX may actually be aiming for the Viper SRT-10 if they are planning to put a V10 in.

The Agreement was actually 280ps (or 276hp). It was known to already be readily broken when the 300ZXTT came out in 1990, they rated it at 280ps but still had the same specs as the USDM 300hp (about 305ps) version. Then the VR4 too broke that (still rated at 280ps, but was the same as the American version). Nissan had the R33 and R34 GTR rated at 280ps but both were known to put close to 320hp out. Then Honda came out with the C32 NSX in 1996 for the 1997 model year and it had the same 290hp as the USDM version but was rated at 280ps. Every japanese manufacturer broke the agreement well before 2000. Now they finally cant really be "sneaky" anymore since they are putting out vehicles well over in excess of 300hp.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:40 AM   #110
aerith

Well, at least the cars were officially below 300hp. But they didnt officially go beyond 298 till the last couple of years with the RL and the STi. The 1999 Skyline GTR actually dynoed to be above 276hp. But now, no more sneaking around, Honda and Subaru basically announced war on the other Japanese automakers with their recent vehicles. Inifiniti followed suit with the M45, and the Lexus IS350 has 305hp. And Honda is giving the RL a new powertrain soon to compete with the V8's in its class. Its either going to be a new V8 block or a IMA V6 putting out the same or more horsepower as its other counterparts with 8 cylinders. I think the latter is more likely.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #111
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
Well, at least the cars were officially below 300hp. But they didnt officially go beyond 298 till the last couple of years with the RL and the STi. The 1999 Skyline GTR actually dynoed to be above 276hp. But now, no more sneaking around, Honda and Subaru basically announced war on the other Japanese automakers with their recent vehicles. Inifiniti followed suit with the M45, and the Lexus IS350 has 305hp. And Honda is giving the RL a new powertrain soon to compete with the V8's in its class. Its either going to be a new V8 block or a IMA V6 putting out the same or more horsepower as its other counterparts with 8 cylinders. I think the latter is more likely.

The RL wont be getting a V8 for at least 3-4 years to see how successful the V10 NSX will be (which obviously it will be, so count a V8 around then). It's possible in the mean-time (maybe as early as 07 model year) to put an electric motor assist for the 3.5 V6 in the RL. That should bump power at least up to the 330-340hp mark. If you ask me the V6 RL competes already very well in a class of V8's (it's as quick as most of them and quicker than some), it toasts the V6 competition that the others offer.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote