Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2005, 12:21 AM   #1
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

1983-88 Porsche 928S

Im want one. Incredibly bad. Ive told my self, and promised myself, that before the end of my Junior year of highschool, I will have one. Im going to start saving as soon as I get a job.

Im so in love with these cars. I would most like to have a 1988. I was wondering are there any differences as far as engine performance and weight from 1983-1988. If so please tell me what they are.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Here is a nice link on the 928.....928 Info

The thing you need to remember about the 928 is that they are not cheap to repair. As long as you know that going in you should be fine.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Stay away from teh pre 85 cars, as they are teh SOH engines, and a little more problematic. The 85-86 cars will all be 928S models, and all have the DOHC engine. Those years, if reasonably well maintained, will last a LOOOOONG time. I've seen daily driver/wekend track day cars with over 300k miles on them, with only routine maintenance (and contrary to popular belief, routine maintenance doesn't cost more than on a Honda for them). The 87-up are the 928 S4s, which have better suspensions, more power from the DOHC engine, smother bodywork, and a number of other small improvements. Probably your best overall bets.

Repairs can indeed be expensive. the manual trans versions use a double clutch setup that can be pricey to replace. the automatics are made by Mercedes, and decent units, well suited to the torque of the V8. But if they fail, they are HUGE money. Luckily, that's not a common situation (in fact, it's pretty rare). the main issue is if the owner didn't let it fall apart or not. if it was just abused and never checked, it WILL be a money pit. If it was regularly maintained, it'll actually be (relatively) cheap to own.

An '85-86 should not cost over $10k unless perfect, and an '87-88 should not cost over $14k for a nice one. My personal price range for them would be about $8-10k for an '85-86, and $9-12k for an S4.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Spencer
CF Enthusiast

Arrow

I helped my freind next door restore-sorta his 928 before he sold it. Pretty simple cars to take apart... To take apart Not so easy to put back together. He bought his for 1,500 It was slightly neglected, had dog bite marks. Very nice car.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Stay away from teh pre 85 cars, as they are teh SOH engines, and a little more problematic. The 85-86 cars will all be 928S models, and all have the DOHC engine. Those years, if reasonably well maintained, will last a LOOOOONG time. I've seen daily driver/wekend track day cars with over 300k miles on them, with only routine maintenance (and contrary to popular belief, routine maintenance doesn't cost more than on a Honda for them). The 87-up are the 928 S4s, which have better suspensions, more power from the DOHC engine, smother bodywork, and a number of other small improvements. Probably your best overall bets.

Repairs can indeed be expensive. the manual trans versions use a double clutch setup that can be pricey to replace. the automatics are made by Mercedes, and decent units, well suited to the torque of the V8. But if they fail, they are HUGE money. Luckily, that's not a common situation (in fact, it's pretty rare). the main issue is if the owner didn't let it fall apart or not. if it was just abused and never checked, it WILL be a money pit. If it was regularly maintained, it'll actually be (relatively) cheap to own.

An '85-86 should not cost over $10k unless perfect, and an '87-88 should not cost over $14k for a nice one. My personal price range for them would be about $8-10k for an '85-86, and $9-12k for an S4.

Well I would make sure it was well maintained. Ill probably save up to around 13-14K to get one. If I get one, I want to make SURE that Im getting a good, well taken care of one.

I always thought that the 928s came in 5 models. The 928, 928S, 926S-4 (which is 4-wheel drive...or so I was told) 928GT and the 928 GTS. No matter what the year. I know that the 928GT and GTS are signifigantly hard to find.

Thanks for all that info man, it helps alot.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

the GT and GTS go well out of your price range as newer examples (figure $25-40k).

The original 928 from 1978 was a 4.5 liter SOHC car. Then in '83 came the 4.7 liter SOHC 928S, that had better suspension and more power. In '85 we got the DOHC 5 liter 928S. In '87, the 928 S4 arrived (the S4 designated the 4th series of 928, not AWD). In '89 the GT version of the S4 arrived, and in '92, the only 928 available was the 5.4 liter GTS.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 AM   #7
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
the GT and GTS go well out of your price range as newer examples (figure $25-40k).

The original 928 from 1978 was a 4.5 liter SOHC car. Then in '83 came the 4.7 liter SOHC 928S, that had better suspension and more power. In '85 we got the DOHC 5 liter 928S. In '87, the 928 S4 arrived (the S4 designated the 4th series of 928, not AWD). In '89 the GT version of the S4 arrived, and in '92, the only 928 available was the 5.4 liter GTS.
Well I kind of figured that the GT and GTS were out of my price range.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:07 AM   #8
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Didn't the S4's have 2 seats in the back as well? My dad is a die-hard 928s fan as well, slipknot.

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
Didn't the S4's have 2 seats in the back as well? My dad is a die-hard 928s fan as well, slipknot.

All 928s had 2 seats in back.

www.midatlantic7s.com