Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
patricka4426
CF Newbie

Question '01 Ford Taurus clicks when key turned

OK, so here's the scoop: earlier this week I, left my headlights on while in work and drained the battery. When I had a friend jump my car, he hooked up the jumper cables backwards on his battery. After about 10-15 seconds, he noticed what he did because the cables were smoking at his battery and we switched them. We jumped my car & it ran fine that day and the entire next day but when I came out to go to work the next morning, the car would click when I turned the key with the lights getting dimmer each time I turned the key. I thought I had a bad battery because I jumped it and it ran fine right away. After replacing the battery, the next day when I went to work I had gone to the auto parts store and when I came back out the car clicked when I turned the key again. The employee jumped my car off the jump box fine & said my battery was low. That night, I charged the battery completely but it still would only click without the engine turning over the next morning but I could jump it from another car just fine. Now the only way I can get it to start is by using jumper cables from another person's car. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be??? I'm stumped...
patricka4426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

easy...replace your altenator
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I feel it's the alternator is the problem too...to test it, get a voltmeter, and put the red lead to the red cable by the alternator, and the black to the alternator housing (with the car running) it should be like 12-15 volts...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:39 AM   #4
patricka4426
CF Newbie

When I had the battery jumped at the auto parts store the guy checked the alternator as well and said it was working fine....
Old 10-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #5
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

You have either bad cables or bad connections or even a combination of the two. Any and all corrosion must be eliminated(often it will start on the terminals and work it's way up the cable under the insulation and you'll never even see it) and the connections must be tight at the battery and at the starter.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

that is a good point.... Check your battery cable connections etc.. My car had a lose battery connection and it would die in the dummbest places.....this was right after I installed a new altenator... So give your cables a check.
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
patricka4426
CF Newbie

I checked the cables from starter to battery and they look fine. The starter is not what's clicking, it's one of the relays in the relay box near the battery. Does anybody have any other ideas???
Old 10-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #8
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

That relay is clicking because there is not enough voltage to keep it powered. Check everything 5 or 10 times...you'd be suprised what you might miss. It has to be in the cables/connections, if it was that particular relay causing the problem, you would hear nothing at all.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote