Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
woodgrain1982
Banned

cold engine

hey yall i have a 1982 3.8 liter v6 oldsmobile cutlass recently its been cold around seatttle and today i started my car up and let it sit maybe 2 minutes to warm up, i drove it slowly for a few miles, i noticed that when i would push on the gas it would lag then it just died on me, i stopped and i started it right back up, does anyone think it died because i didnt give it enough time to warm up, how long do you have to let these old cars warm up for so they just dont die, or could it be the ignition control module going out? if anyone has any ideas that could help i would appreciate it
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain1982
hey yall i have a 1982 3.8 liter v6 oldsmobile cutlass recently its been cold around seatttle and today i started my car up and let it sit maybe 2 minutes to warm up, i drove it slowly for a few miles, i noticed that when i would push on the gas it would lag then it just died on me, i stopped and i started it right back up, does anyone think it died because i didnt give it enough time to warm up, how long do you have to let these old cars warm up for so they just dont die, or could it be the ignition control module going out? if anyone has any ideas that could help i would appreciate it
Sounds strangely like a sticking or mis-adjusted choke, but nothing like an ignition module.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 11-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
woodgrain1982
Banned

yea my battery charge light came on and then the oil/choke light came on and it died, its done this one time before, how can i adjust the choke or is it the engine block was cold, i also have problems with the carb running rich
Old 11-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Umm, pardon me for asking, but what the hell is a choke light?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #5
woodgrain1982
Banned

on some classic cars there is different light/sensors that come on one of them is a oil/choke sensor i guess asian mobiles dont got that
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Umm, pardon me for asking, but what the hell is a choke light?
Do you need a full explanation or can I just call you a dildo for giving hime the and let you ask your father in the morning? It's a light that tells you when your chock is closed, very common on GM cars in the '80's.

Quote:
yea my battery charge light came on and then the oil/choke light came on and it died, its done this one time before, how can i adjust the choke or is it the engine block was cold, i also have problems with the carb running rich
I'll tell you the same thing I've preached for years. Get a manual and read it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Do you need a full explanation or can I just call you a dildo for giving hime the and let you ask your father in the morning? It's a light that tells you when your chock is closed, very common on GM cars in the '80's.
Thanks for clarifying that and no I can do without the dildo but thanks for askin
Old 11-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
woodgrain1982
Banned

i dont appreciate the dildo comment, but i do have a chiltons work manual, but i dont think its the choke, im wondering it id died because i didnt let it warm up long enough, like i said i must have let it warm up for about 3-4 minutes, do i need to keep it goin longer before i drive, sometimes the choke plate wont move like it gets stuck in the closed position, and the car has trouble starting, but this usually doesnt cause it to lose power and die

Last edited by woodgrain1982 : 11-02-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:42 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
i dont appreciate the dildo comment, but i do have a chiltons work manual, but i dont think its the choke, im wondering it id died because i didnt let it warm up long enough, like i said i must have let it warm up for about 3-4 minutes, do i need to keep it goin longer before i drive, sometimes the choke plate wont move like it gets stuck in the closed position, and the car has trouble starting, but this usually doesnt cause it to lose power and die
I'm glad you don't appreciate the dildo comment because it was directed at someone else. Read what I said and to whom then don't work so hard at being a victim.

If you need to let the car warm up for any amount of time before driving it there is certainly a problem, and if it runs good all the rest of the time except warm up the choke is a likely place to start. On the other hand when was the last time you performed the current required and catch up maintenance on it such as a major tune-up, trans service, etc? You might find that a car running at full efficiency won't have the problem you describe.

Old 11-02-2005, 01:50 AM   #10
woodgrain1982
Banned

ok first off, when you have a classic car like i do, you need to warm the engine up , but i dont think it could be the choke plate because i dont think it would cause the car to die unless the car was cold and the chokeplate seized to open up like it sometimes does, but on the other hand i havent had a tune-up for this car since ive gotton it, and i know its nothing to do with the transmission, i guess i need to get it in or something, i just dont understand why it could be the chokeplate though, sometimes i do have to remove the plate to start the car up thyen screw it back in because it doesnt respond always, but sometimes it does, i just think that my engine block was ice cold and i didnt rev the engine enough, or i let it coast down the street then it died, so i think i know the problem, and to your dildo comment, didnt make myself into a victim im on here to talk about cars not to talk about nasty things like that
Old 11-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ok first off, when you have a classic car like i do, you need to warm the engine up , but i dont think it could be the choke plate because i dont think it would cause the car to die unless the car was cold and the chokeplate seized to open up like it sometimes does, but on the other hand i havent had a tune-up for this car since ive gotton it, and i know its nothing to do with the transmission, i guess i need to get it in or something, i just dont understand why it could be the chokeplate though, sometimes i do have to remove the plate to start the car up thyen screw it back in because it doesnt respond always, but sometimes it does, i just think that my engine block was ice cold and i didnt rev the engine enough, or i let it coast down the street then it died, so i think i know the problem, and to your dildo comment, didnt make myself into a victim im on here to talk about cars not to talk about nasty things like that
Okay, have it your way, but before I sign you off here's some pertinent info for you.

1. Your '82 Gutlass is not now and may never be a classic car. Old yes, classic no.

2. I have over 30 years professional experience working on cars... Cars just like yours. I'm not telling you that it IS the choke but the symptoms sure sound like it.

3. If you know so damn much about your car, or at least more than me, why are you on a forum looking for someone to tell you what's wrong with it? Go out there and get it fixed now then come back and tell us how your superior knowledge led you right to the problem and helped you repair it in under five minutes. Should make fun reading but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

4. I didn't make any such comment to you but you can't seem to let it go. It appears to me that you like repeating the word and are possibly getting turned on by it.

Have a nice day.

Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 AM   #12
importluva
Obsessed with imports

^ I like his style
Old 11-02-2005, 02:27 AM   #13
woodgrain1982
Banned

wow well you dont seem like you have 30 years experience, and also if my car isnt a classic then why it it everytime i open up HOTROD magazine i see my car racing or appearing at the salt flats? can you answer that, oh and i already found out whats wrong with my classic car its a dirty gas tank lines, so i dont appreciate your a$$hole attitude and you need to just stick to cars and not talk about anything else becuase your ignorant
Old 11-02-2005, 02:30 AM   #14
woodgrain1982
Banned

i think VWHOBO must be the most ignorant piece of crap human ever, you come on here trying to claim knowledge about my car when you obviously know nothing of oldsmobiles, did you even know they dont make olds anymore do you know that sonny boy, and if you ever try and talk shit to me again on here youll just look really stupid because your little numbered way of telling me off looks really juvenile so do yourself a favor and stick with VW"S and shut the hell up

Last edited by woodgrain1982 : 11-02-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:30 AM   #15
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
lol ...and these are the days of our lives...doodoodeeedooo