Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2003, 12:42 AM   #16
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

My response to 57ock’s last post in this topic -
57ock, I didn’t mean an orthodox gear change as in ‘racing the gears’. Why not just put the clutch in to start with as you take your foot off the gas and move straight from one gear to the next? Just because that’s how people change gears when they’re taking it steady, it doesn’t mean that it’s inadequate for doing quickly when at full throttle.

My response to vwhobo’s last post in this topic -
1. 57ock and I are discussing two different techniques. The 'flat change' that 57ock has brought up actually includes letting off the gas during the shift change.

2. I thought that all diesels were 8-stroke engines and that's why they're low revving ? Can you clear things up for me please vwhobo wink Don't they tend to redline before 4,500rpm? I said that people can get away with 'racing the gears' with a diesel because I believe that the revs rise at a slower rate than a petrol engine. They're also supposed to have a sudden flat spot at the top of the range as the power curve stops rising.

3. N/A

4. Slavboy1 is too proud to admit that he's wrong. He's not big enough of a man to apologise after reading your post that you addressed to him vwhobo.

5. I only mentioned that there is such a technique as 'racing the gears/speed shifting'. I wasn't encouraging it and it’s not like I didn’t explain skribflex's queries about a smooth gear change to begin with.
snoopewite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:10 AM   #17
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Hey, maybe i miss understood you and for that i appologize however it is a good way to quickly change gears. The key is to change gears before you hit the rev limiter. I drive a 66 mustang and that's what i do and i don't appreciate being called clueless when i work at a speed shop and am an avid drag racer.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:26 AM   #18
slavboy1
CF Newbie

Also in respons to the bouncing off the rev limiter and hitting the fuel cut off. I was not aware of what kind of vehical it was. My mustang has no rev limiter nor a fuel cut off. I don't know why you guys are getting so bent out of shape over this it's really not that big of a deal. Either i miss understood you or you miss understood me. What i said i thought was different than what you said i got the idea from what you wrote that you recommended easing off the gas between shifts. And i also don't appreciate being called a coward, i try to read the posts on here as much as possible but i've been working too much lately to keep up with this thread. I'm really not as incompetent as you all seem to think i am. I'm working towards my degree in Mechanical engineering at RPI and i work at a speed shop in the summers, give us a call some time if you're in Minnesota it's called John Haley Motorsports. Can we just call this a moot point?
Old 07-04-2003, 03:18 PM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavboy1
Also in respons to the bouncing off the rev limiter and hitting the fuel cut off. I was not aware of what kind of vehical it was. My mustang has no rev limiter nor a fuel cut off. I don't know why you guys are getting so bent out of shape over this it's really not that big of a deal. Either i miss understood you or you miss understood me. What i said i thought was different than what you said i got the idea from what you wrote that you recommended easing off the gas between shifts. And i also don't appreciate being called a coward, i try to read the posts on here as much as possible but i've been working too much lately to keep up with this thread. I'm really not as incompetent as you all seem to think i am. I'm working towards my degree in Mechanical engineering at RPI and i work at a speed shop in the summers, give us a call some time if you're in Minnesota it's called John Haley Motorsports. Can we just call this a moot point?

Fair enough. We're friends now.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #20
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopewite
My response to 57ockís last post in this topic: -
57ock, I didnít mean an orthodox gear change as in Ďracing the gearsí. Why not just put the clutch in to start with as you take your foot off the gas and move straight from one gear to the next? Just because thatís how people change gears when theyíre taking it steady, it doesnít mean that itís inadequate for doing quickly when at full throttle.

My response to vwhoboís last post in this topic: -
1. 57ock and I are discussing two different techniques. The 'flat change' that 57ock has brought up actually includes letting off the gas during the shift change.

2. I thought that all diesels were 8-stroke engines and that's why they're low revving :? Can you clear things up for me please vwhobo Don't they tend to redline before 4,500rpm? I said that people can get away with 'racing the gears' with a diesel because I believe that the revs rise at a slower rate than a petrol engine. They're also supposed to have a sudden flat spot at the top of the range as the power curve stops rising.

3. N/A

4. Slavboy1 is too proud to admit that he's wrong. He's not big enough of a man to apologise after reading your post that you addressed to him vwhobo.

5. I only mentioned that there is such a technique as 'racing the gears/speed shifting'. I wasn't encouraging it and itís not like I didnít explain skribflex's queries about a smooth gear change to begin with.

Snoope, just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring this. I'll respond when I have some time to type.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-04-2003, 04:36 PM   #21
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

slavboy1 wrote -
"Hey, maybe i miss understood you and for that i appologize"

o Respect thumbs

slavboy1 wrote -
"I'm working towards my degree in Mechanical engineering at RPI and i work at a speed shop in the summers"

8) I'm glad for you and good luck with your degree wink

slavboy1 wrote -
"Can we just call this a moot point?"

I'm still waiting for 57ock's reply. 57ock and I have a disagreement and people start saying that we're arguing and getting bent out of shape. The discussions that 57ock and I have are an opportunity to learn from one another.

57ock wrote -
"Double clutch is necessary for cars with a dog box? Thats news to me.
Maybe I should double clutch my dog box too?

Thats the first I've heard of double clutching a dog box."

57ock, I must have somehow managed to miss that post because you'd done two posts back to back. I thought that you had to double clutch a dog box because the dogs on the gears won't line up properly if you change straight from one gear to the next while the clutch is in. Is it possible that you're getting a dog box confused with straight cut gears?
Old 07-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #22
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Ah yes, or maybe just differing terminology again.

Snoope I gotta tell you I have never heard of an 8-stroke engine. I suppose they could exist but not in anything I'm aware of.

Essentially the only difference between a gas engine and a diesel engine is the gas is spark ignition and the diesel is compression ignition. Also while a gas engine can be carbureted or fuel injected a diesel is always injected. They can both be either 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

For those of you who would like to catch me being incorrect notice I said essentially. Obviously there are other disimilarities such as compression ratio, etc. Save the PM's.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:24 AM   #23
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Well thanks vwhobo for replying to my diesel query. 8-stroke diesel engines must just be in some older vehicles. They used to only fire every two cycles -
First cycle - 1. air intake 2. compression 3. fuel injection and combustion 4. exhaust
Second cycle - 5. nothing 6. nothing 7. nothing 8. nothing.
That means that each piston goes, up, fire, down, up, nothing, down, up, fire and so on.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #24
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well thanks vwhobo for replying to my diesel query. 8-stroke diesel engines must just be in some older vehicles. They used to only fire every two cycles: -
First cycle - 1. air intake 2. compression 3. fuel injection and combustion 4. exhaust
Second cycle - 5. nothing 6. nothing 7. nothing 8. nothing.
That means that each piston goes, up, fire, down, up, nothing, down, up, fire and so on.

Thought you might find these interesting, I did.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/biofuelauto/
http://www.piecesof8cycle.com/kit.html

Old 07-06-2003, 10:57 PM   #25
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Thanks for the links vwhobo ) I'm happy to be responsible for you learning something new for once D
Old 07-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #26
57ock
CF Addict

"Is it possible that you're getting a dog box confused with straight cut gears?" I have driven 1 wrx with a Senco Dog box. No double clutching need at all. So still have nfi what your on about.

Do you drive a fully sick focus or something?
As you seem to know a great deal

We should start up our own forums. The snoopewite & 57ock hang shit on each other forums

Can't wait until we get started on the Cricket and Rugby
Old 07-08-2003, 01:02 AM   #27
snoopewite
The 1st CF Entrepreneur

Are you saying that the only transmissions that need double clutching are the ones in very old, generic cars? Can you explain roughly how a dog box differs from a conventional synchromesh system?

I don't drive a car that's image is as good as a Focus lol I put, "Ford Focus" on my vehicles list in my profile because it's something that I aspire to lol

Let me know when the new forums will be ready P

I don't give a shit about cricket or rugby and I'm not even patriotic so you'd be flogging a dead horse there |

You haven't replied to vwhobo's statement about a Powerglide transmission -
"Ock, what do you mean that's what a Powerglide is designed for? A Powerglide is a two speed automatic transmission, not a manual"
Old 07-08-2003, 02:18 AM   #28
57ock
CF Addict

[quote="snoopewite"]What car is it that you drive? A high revving, four-cylinder won't be as smooth as a six-cylinder, a low revving V8 etc.
[quote]

Einstein, that depends on what type of clutch and transmittion. Not the amount of cylinders you idoit

Brass button or ceramic button systems will not change smoothly ON ANY MOTOR.

So back to your magazine
Old 07-08-2003, 02:20 AM   #29
57ock
CF Addict

Quote:
Are you saying that the only transmissions that need double clutching are the ones in very old, generic cars? Can you explain roughly how a dog box differs from a conventional synchromesh system?

Dog Box doesn't have synchro
Old 07-08-2003, 02:23 AM   #30
57ock
CF Addict

Quote:
"Ford Focus"

Good to see you aspire to a pick up the kids from school car
Lower and put a fully sick kit on it