Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
seanbascom
CF Newbie

Question Advise Please

I accidentally cut off a kid on the road the other day and it caused him to veer left and skid to a stop.* There was no collision, and he did not hit a curb or anything.* But he and his parents are stating that the abrupt stop he made caused the front end frame to bend.* Is this for real, or is he trying to get a new frame out of me?* The car did swerve a little bit*as he skidded to a halt. The car is a 1973 Mustang.*

Any* help is appreciated and multiple replies are as well since I think I may have to go to court for this. I will be happy to give more details if needed.* Thanks a bunch.

Thanks, Sean
seanbascom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbascom
I accidentally cut off a kid on the road the other day and it caused him to veer left and skid to a stop.* There was no collision, and he did not hit a curb or anything.* But he and his parents are stating that the abrupt stop he made caused the front end frame to bend.* Is this for real, or is he trying to get a new frame out of me?* The car did swerve a little bit*as he skidded to a halt. The car is a 1973 Mustang.*

Any* help is appreciated and multiple replies are as well since I think I may have to go to court for this. I will be happy to give more details if needed.* Thanks a bunch.

Thanks, Sean
The short answer to your question is, they're full of crap. If his car didn't contact anything, there is no way that he "bent the frame" during your little incident. You might want to point out to them that his car is built on a unibody paltform and has no actual frame. You might oalso want to point out to them that if the car is structurally weak enough to bend the frame from skidding to a stop, then hitting potholes, driving across railroad tracks or just going over speed bumps in Wal-Mart parking lot would be disasterous and you did them a favor by making the car unusable for their little precious.

Sounds to me like either you're not telling us something or they're looking to get something for nothing. All things being equal, I vote for B. Good luck.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
seanbascom
CF Newbie

VWHOBO,

Thanks for the quick replay. Plane and simple that is just what happened, I mean his brakes locked and he went left to avoid me and he skidded about 20 feet probably. I thought that was odd too considering the speed limit on the road is 35MPH.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
VWHOBO,

Thanks for the quick replay. Plane and simple that is just what happened, I mean his brakes locked and he went left to avoid me and he skidded about 20 feet probably. I thought that was odd too considering the speed limit on the road is 35MPH.
Then they are full if sh*t. Tell them if they want some money from you to go get a lawyer and take it to court.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Really the only thing that could happen is puting some flat spots on the tires, unless he has big gaping rust holes all over his car. The kid probably ran into a ditch or something and is trying pawn his problems on you.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Was there an accident report filled out on this? I didn't see where and if you said the police showed up. If not, I don't think they can come back and say, "ohh well now my frame is bent and it's your fault." I may be wrong.

Oh yeah, as far as the "bent frame" tell them it wasn't you that did that it was the bondo giving way.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:05 AM   #7
nattereri2000
CF Newbie

theres no collision my friend, there is NO structural damage. a frame doesnt bend on harsh braking! lol theyre full of crap, and any insurance adjuster SHOULD know this.
the most you did to him was give him some flat spots in his tires and a nice ware spot on the brakes. thats it. minor. no contact. no problem.
oh, and on another note, watch how you drive. i HATE when people cut me off
nattereri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
seanbascom
CF Newbie

Thanks again

many thanks for the feedback, looks like we are going to court. The whole thing is completley out of hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Was there an accident report filled out on this? I didn't see where and if you said the police showed up. If not, I don't think they can come back and say, "ohh well now my frame is bent and it's your fault." I may be wrong.

Oh yeah, as far as the "bent frame" tell them it wasn't you that did that it was the bondo giving way.
Um, what accident?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
many thanks for the feedback, looks like we are going to court. The whole thing is completley out of hand.

That's uncalled for...you are innocent though, so just hope the judge knows something about cars...

Good luck on your case
Old 11-29-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
Wally
I Know More Than You

I think you americans have a term for this = Grifters?

Someone should put this in the "Silliest Thing You've Ever Heard" thread.

Here the courts take being mischievious with their time very seriously.

They should be pinged for driving an unsafe car if the sub frame bends from wheel lockup. Have you had a roadworthy conducted by your insurance company? I would bet my left nut that a 1973 car would have so many things wrong with it (including metal fatigue) that you would have a case for counter suit against them putting you on danger.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:48 AM   #12
newyorker
MXman

BS. They just want some money.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #13
seanbascom
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Again the Support is appreciated.

I haven't heard anything from Geico (Insurance) since I sent this e-mail yesterday:

Attention Jeff:

Please find the feedback I received from 3 different on-line automotive forums. I just joined these communities so there was no room for anyone to be biased meaning no one knew me prior to joining, so no favoritism exists. These opinions are why I am denouncing their claim and am considering legal proceedings rather then offer restitution for the frame I allegedly caused to bend because of a hard stop.

The reason I took the liberty of seeking on-line advice is because anyone I spoke to about the situation looked at me like I had snakes coming out of my ears when I mentioned the hard brake that occurred supposedly bending the car frame. I have spoken to local mechanics and sought the advice of friends on this matter as well. I have tried and tried to find someone that will tell me that it is possible. That what occurred would cause that kind of damage and say Mrs. Hendrix's claim could be true. I have been trying to find anyone that will tell me she is right, and I am wrong and I just can't do it.

Please, ( I am pleading here), please also let Mrs. Hendrix know that regardless of what she thinks of me I share her frustration with the whole situation, but something else is going on here and I will not be the one to absorb the financial blow. That just isn't fair.

Please feel free to pass this information to my accusers as well, I have my legal team on stand-by at this point. Upon their advice I am not paying for repairs to the frame. Their opinion along with the info found in the 3 links below contain what believe to be valid factual information.

http://www.car-forums.com/s9/t17755.html
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=481082
http://forums.automotive.com/communi...ase/index.html

I would like to speak to a certified Geico adjuster that will verbally confirm or even entertain the idea that a 35 mph hard brake resulting in a locked 20' skid with no vehicular impact can cause a car frame to bend. Even a 1973 car was built and designed to hard stop and not cause structural frame damage whatsoever. Keep in mind there was no collision, there was no ditch or even a curb. Also remember there was no evidence on the grass he pulled up on to support that the car even slid on to it. The lawn was undisturbed. I would have called police during the time of the "incident" myself and also advised that medical attention would possibly be needed if this had happened or there had been a collision.

Stop using the word "accident" please, there wasn't one. Period. If we tried to increase revenue based on near misses, we would fail. These things happen everyday, all the time, everywhere so I am not sure what makes this situation so special. I am actually surprised Geico is even involved at this point. If Mrs Hendrix is a reasonable person, and if Mrs. Hendrix would just drop the guard she has locked on me for just a moment and understand that I am not trying to be the weasel here, and I am not trying to refabricate what occurred to benefit myself, I think she would see the truths that exist from my perspective and understand there is a piece of the puzzle that is missing here. Any reasonable person would.

The Geico Agent is a total moron, and I really can't believe that is has gone this far, I have my pre-paid legal department on stand-by and have decided to just stop stressing over it. If they try to call me again I am just going to tell them I will only respond to a court order at this point.

Everyone's advice played a big role in helping me understand what these people are up to. THANKS, for treating a Newbie who is fairly clueless when it comes to cars in the manner in which you did. It really speaks volumes about the integrity of your community.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I hope you not only win the case, which you will, but that after you're done you'll counter sue for emotional distress and whatever else. People like that need to be taught a lesson, and getting your hand in their back pocket is as good a way as any. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

The insurance companies have a phrase for these situations....it's called insurance fraud, and that's what they're trying to do to you. They are trying to steal money out of your pocket on a car that Jr. probably bent the chassis himself while jumping rail road tracks. It enfuriates me to hear a situation like yours.

BTW, Ford builds some strong uni-body vehicles...my t-bird was rear-ended by a woman who was doing approximately 45mph and my chassis is still straight as an arrow...I made sure to take it to a shop and everything is fine.

COUNTER-SUE, COUNTER-SUE, COUNTER-SUE!

Emotional distress, harassment, fraud, missed time at work...get whatever you can out of them, maybe they'll learn a lesson...GRIFTING DOESN'T PAY.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote