Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #31
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Um... okay. So in other words you can't explain why other people were already using the term in the '80's

they weren't as teh movement handn't arrived yet. No one was dong the wings, becaeu the stock cars they were copying didnt' exist yet.

You're misremembering it, as you weren't interested in it at the time. I've STUDIED it. The term then was rice rocket, as I mentioned, as well as where it came from.

Quote:
and you can't keep it short.[ What a huge surprise.

Actually, I DID keep it short. I have enough information to make a book out of it. THAT was less than one page.

Or are you trying to emulate a teenager with ADD raised on soundbites?

Besides, why I should parse my posts just for YOUR desires?

Quote:
While much of what you said is accurate, it still fits the profile of "baffling them with bullsh*t". Remember Mister History of Everything Automotive Man, in the '80's while you were living in the Seattle area reading about what was going on in SoCal, I was in LA/Orange County living it.

I was also spending time there. being there in '84. I was dealing with California street rod shops AND teh VW shops (like Johnny's and Cal Custom) on a daily basis, while at the same time racing with people from there in SCCA events. I wasn't just reading about it (and never reading ANY California publication that used that ricer or riceboy in that manner, though they did say "rice rockets" repeatedly, as well as pretty much every other bit of slang you could think of), but dealing with the people that would USE those terms, had they existed.

Canyon racers was a common phrase, and used on street cars done in road race style (mostly found in Latigo Canyon road over to Mullholland, where I was lucky enough to drive for fun in '87).

Quote:
The term "rice" was widely used during that time for cars and people who were... Rice. Just because somebody has enough brass to take credit for it, doesn't make it so. On the other hand, maybe you believe Al Gore invented the internet too.

I'm not a democrat, and I voted against Gore. But...

He never said he invented it. But, according to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://www.spectacle.org/1100/gore.html

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #32
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
they weren't as teh movement handn't arrived yet. No one was dong the wings, becaeu the stock cars they were copying didnt' exist yet.

You're misremembering it, as you weren't interested in it at the time. I've STUDIED it. The term then was rice rocket, as I mentioned, as well as where it came from.

Actually, I DID keep it short. I have enough information to make a book out of it. THAT was less than one page.

Or are you trying to emulate a teenager with ADD raised on soundbites?

Besides, why I should parse my posts just for YOUR desires?

I was also spending time there. being there in '84. I was dealing with California street rod shops AND teh VW shops (like Johnny's and Cal Custom) on a daily basis, while at the same time racing with people from there in SCCA events. I wasn't just reading about it (and never reading ANY California publication that used that ricer or riceboy in that manner, though they did say "rice rockets" repeatedly, as well as pretty much every other bit of slang you could think of), but dealing with the people that would USE those terms, had they existed.

Canyon racers was a common phrase, and used on street cars done in road race style (mostly found in Latigo Canyon road over to Mullholland, where I was lucky enough to drive for fun in '87).

I'm not a democrat, and I voted against Gore. But...

He never said he invented it. But, according to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://www.spectacle.org/1100/gore.html
You're right Chris, why should I let facts get in the way of your opinion? Of course you were involved in everything car related in SoCal and no doubt the entire world. How silly of me to think otherwise. There is no way that anyone could have information that you're not aware of because in your mind you are the only person who knows anything or whose opinion counts. I bet if I looked in an encyclopedia next to the phrase automotive expert, there would be a picture of you.

In the fall of 1983 I wasn't the president of a local VW club in SoCal and I didn't buy my wife a new '84 Accord. At the next club meet I wasn't awarded with the club "Ricer of the Year" award. My next door neighbor didn't have a lowered Accord (I cut the springs) with stickers and a small wing off of a Monza on it. I could go on but it would be as boring as reading most of your drivel, and wouldn't change your mind anyway because you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you're right.

Ya know Chris, sometimes it's very amusing watching as you play with the 16 year old know-it-alls on this forum. But it's times like these that you display just how narrow minded and self-important you really are. You always wonder openly what happens to the stupid kids on this forum who are convinced they know everything. I've got the answer. Just go look in the mirror, they turn into adults who are convinced they know everything, just like you.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:47 AM   #33
Walt
CF Newbie

Holy SHIT
Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 AM   #34
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
I sit corrected. Where as I have no interest in nitrous... I don't claim to be an expert in any way pertaining to it or its history.

Yeah thats what I thought biiaatch LOL, sorry I just had to do that.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:39 AM   #35
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
I bet if I looked in an encyclopedia next to the phrase automotive expert, there would be a picture of you.
Nope, he isn't in there.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:57 AM   #36
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Nope, he isn't in there.

It was for me

Old 11-23-2005, 06:41 AM   #37
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Really? It was? Are you sure? Absolutely? If that's the case, then how come we (me, my friends, acquaintances, etc) were calling cars of that genre "rice" and their drivers "ricers" in the mid '80's. And no, I'm not confusing it with the term "rice rocket" which I remember using as a kid in the '60's. The floor is yours, keep it short.

Quote:
Did I miss something...no, seriously, did I?...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #38
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Did I miss something...no, seriously, did I?...
Yeah, you did. Read the thread and get a clue.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #39
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Ya know Chris, sometimes it's very amusing watching as you play with the 16 year old know-it-alls on this forum. But it's times like these that you display just how narrow minded and self-important you really are. You always wonder openly what happens to the stupid kids on this forum who are convinced they know everything. I've got the answer. Just go look in the mirror, they turn into adults who are convinced they know everything, just like you.

Funny, dude. Interesting choice of words there. Never once did I claim to know EVERYTHING. But is it such a f*cking stretch to think that someone who has studied a subject fora few decades might actually know that subject? I don't know a quarter as much as you about diagnosing and repairing broken cars. Just not my area of interest in cars, so I don't go into that section of the forum and give out advice. But this IS part of my area of interest, so yes I DO know what I'm talking about. And I ALWAYS make sure I do a bit of research and check what I'm going to say before posting it to make sure that what I think I know is true.

There's a difference between a kid with no experience that read something once and then argues about it vs someone who has studied and been immersed in a subject for decades and argues about it.

Funny thing is you want to rag on me for acting like *I* know "everything" about the subject, but you're doing it just to prove YOU know "everything" about it. (or at least, more than I) A tad hypocritical, eh? Maybe you need that mirror, too.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #40
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Funny thing is you want to rag on me for acting like *I* know "everything" about the subject, but you're doing it just to prove YOU know "everything" about it. (or at least, more than I) A tad hypocritical, eh? Maybe you need that mirror, too.
Sometimes you can't tell people to shut their mouths without opening your own. Just a thought.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #41
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Funny, dude. Interesting choice of words there. Never once did I claim to know EVERYTHING. But is it such a f*cking stretch to think that someone who has studied a subject fora few decades might actually know that subject? I don't know a quarter as much as you about diagnosing and repairing broken cars. Just not my area of interest in cars, so I don't go into that section of the forum and give out advice. But this IS part of my area of interest, so yes I DO know what I'm talking about. And I ALWAYS make sure I do a bit of research and check what I'm going to say before posting it to make sure that what I think I know is true.

There's a difference between a kid with no experience that read something once and then argues about it vs someone who has studied and been immersed in a subject for decades and argues about it.

If you want to sound as smart as you claim to be, the best thing to do would be shut up. You've been studying the subject "for a few decades"? Funny, according to you the subject has only existed for about 13 years. Contradiction? You bet. I don't give a f*ck what you've studied, I'm telling you what I've lived.

Doesn't it seem just a bit presumptuous for you to tell me what I know as a fact because it's part of my life? Did it ever occur to you that in your decades of study, you might have missed something? Has anyone ever told you that if you have enough time to study the evolution of ricers, you probably need something worthwhile to do with your time?

Show me where I said I know everything about this subject. Can't do it, never said it. I never even implied it. What I said is that the terms rice and ricer were around before some bozo started a web site and took credit for it. If you were truly interested in learning, you'd be happy to have new information. Instead, in the normal way of "ChrisV, Knower of Everything" you discount my experience because it doesn't agree with...wait for it... your opinion.

Finally Chris, let's take a look at a statement you made.
Quote:
Yep, there sure is, but there's also at least one similarity in this instance. They're both to full of themselves and thick headed to realise that there might be somebody, somewhere who has just one iota of information that they don't. Make that two similarities. The other is that no matter what anybody tells them, they are absolutely sure they're right, ALL THE TIME. So Chris, I don't really care what you think, this is America and you have the right to be wrong. And you're doing a fine job of exercising your rights. Have a sh*tty day.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #42
girliegirl95
CF Newbie

Lightbulb dumb

who cares what a ricer is? We all know one when we see one. I mean sure everyone has different opinions on what cars are respect worthy and which ones arent. let me explain that at the local track there was an old body style cavalier, with a WOODEN wing and a WOODEN hood scoop. That my friends is rice. Tacky and untasteful is rice. Rice is in the car just as much the drive. You cant take your moms minivan, put a wing on it and expect it to run 10's in a quarter mile. Its a matter of what car you choose to decorate with you tacky "aftermarket" pepboys windshield wipers. atleast everyone can agree on the fact that we all hate them, no matter what the word rice or ricer consists of.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:10 PM   #43
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by girliegirl95
who cares what a ricer is? We all know one when we see one. I mean sure everyone has different opinions on what cars are respect worthy and which ones arent. let me explain that at the local track there was an old body style cavalier, with a WOODEN wing and a WOODEN hood scoop. That my friends is rice. Tacky and untasteful is rice. Rice is in the car just as much the drive. You cant take your moms minivan, put a wing on it and expect it to run 10's in a quarter mile. Its a matter of what car you choose to decorate with you tacky "aftermarket" pepboys windshield wipers. atleast everyone can agree on the fact that we all hate them, no matter what the word rice or ricer consists of.
Is using all blue letters rice or just stupid? It is after all very tacky and untasteful.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #44
girliegirl95
CF Newbie

Okay then, who was being an asshole about anything? Last time I checked the point of a forum was for everyone to put in their 2cents. So why is that I am "rice" because I write in blue. I suppose that makes u rice for being a prick
Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #45
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by girliegirl95
Okay then, who was being an asshole about anything? Last time I checked the point of a forum was for everyone to put in their 2cents. So why is that I am "rice" because I write in blue. I suppose that makes u rice for being a prick
Ah yes, stupid and a name caller, great way to start out your short stay on this forum.