Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Um... okay. So in other words you can't explain why other people were already using the term in the '80's

they weren't as teh movement handn't arrived yet. No one was dong the wings, becaeu the stock cars they were copying didnt' exist yet.

You're misremembering it, as you weren't interested in it at the time. I've STUDIED it. The term then was rice rocket, as I mentioned, as well as where it came from.

Quote:
and you can't keep it short.[ What a huge surprise.

Actually, I DID keep it short. I have enough information to make a book out of it. THAT was less than one page.

Or are you trying to emulate a teenager with ADD raised on soundbites?

Besides, why I should parse my posts just for YOUR desires?

Quote:
While much of what you said is accurate, it still fits the profile of "baffling them with bullsh*t". Remember Mister History of Everything Automotive Man, in the '80's while you were living in the Seattle area reading about what was going on in SoCal, I was in LA/Orange County living it.

I was also spending time there. being there in '84. I was dealing with California street rod shops AND teh VW shops (like Johnny's and Cal Custom) on a daily basis, while at the same time racing with people from there in SCCA events. I wasn't just reading about it (and never reading ANY California publication that used that ricer or riceboy in that manner, though they did say "rice rockets" repeatedly, as well as pretty much every other bit of slang you could think of), but dealing with the people that would USE those terms, had they existed.

Canyon racers was a common phrase, and used on street cars done in road race style (mostly found in Latigo Canyon road over to Mullholland, where I was lucky enough to drive for fun in '87).

Quote:
The term "rice" was widely used during that time for cars and people who were... Rice. Just because somebody has enough brass to take credit for it, doesn't make it so. On the other hand, maybe you believe Al Gore invented the internet too.

I'm not a democrat, and I voted against Gore. But...

He never said he invented it. But, according to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country."

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://www.spectacle.org/1100/gore.html

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote