Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

Automatic or Manual?

I am just about to get a car. Probably a Honda Civic. I want to just, ya know add some rims, a spoiler, a body kit, mainly outside exterior things but maybe a little on the engine, and probably more on the engine as I get older. Do you think that there is a difference in having an automatic or a manual. Not as in the driving experience, because that's a pretty obvious difference. But, just as in what people will think. I'm thinking that people will be like, 'Nice car! Oh, man you've got an automatic? You should have a manual man.'. That's what I'm thinkin' the basic response will be... But I want people to like my car and think it's cool and I think that manual helps. Well, thats all so tell me what you think please. Does a manual seem cooler than an automatic? Thanks.

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
SilverCivicSi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:06 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

yeah, id get a manual, dont even bother with an auto when it comes to the "rice" scene... if you will... plus using a stick, i think, is a lot more fun
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:19 AM   #3
Smoke
CF Newbie

I agree completely with mazda6man.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:40 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

SilverCivicSi98: It is my opinion that prior to clicking submit to your post, you knew the answer and you knew what you wanted to buy and why.

Now just go and do it.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 05:59 AM   #5
jzxTT
CF Addict

if your into honda you should look for a 93 - 98 civic hatchback.5spd... drop a B16a2, get a decent Greddy turbo, exhaust, intake, and leave it like that... maybe a body kit, some neon if u like that sorta stuff... that'd give you a decent car.... you could have all that for about 5000-6000 ( 3k for the car and 3k for the mods). depends on if u wanna b in the racin scene or the show scene...... If you have no clue wat im talking about mah bad... im asuming you know about cars
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCivicSi98
I am just about to get a car. Probably a Honda Civic. I want to just, ya know add some rims, a spoiler, a body kit, mainly outside exterior things but maybe a little on the engine, and probably more on the engine as I get older. Do you think that there is a difference in having an automatic or a manual. Not as in the driving experience, because that's a pretty obvious difference. But, just as in what people will think. I'm thinking that people will be like, 'Nice car! Oh, man you've got an automatic? You should have a manual man.'. That's what I'm thinkin' the basic response will be... But I want people to like my car and think it's cool and I think that manual helps. Well, thats all so tell me what you think please. Does a manual seem cooler than an automatic? Thanks.
I think it's safe to say from the tone of your post that you're more concerned with what other people think of you and "looking dope" than anything else. Why do you give a damn what they think, unless your just a wimpy little insecure weenie? Drive what you want to drive and ignore everyone else.

Lastly, I'm willing to bet from the way you sound that you have NO idea how to drive a stick. The only thing that makes you look like more of a wuss than driving an automatic is driving a manual and screwing it up.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:26 AM   #7
DodgeRida67
Banned

Manual. Clutches forever.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:31 AM   #8
asa67_stang
CF Enthusiast

holy crap dodgerida67
that sig needs to be MUCH smaller
be considerate

stick is better than auto
and even if you don't know how to drive stick, you gotta start somewhere

i wish i knew now what i will know in thirty years, that would be nice...

the 'net has warped my fragile little mind
asa67_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:41 AM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Manual. Clutches forever.

Fix your sig.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
jzxTT
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxTT
if your into honda you should look for a 93 - 98 civic hatchback.5spd... drop a B16a2, get a decent Greddy turbo, exhaust, intake, and leave it like that... maybe a body kit, some neon if u like that sorta stuff... that'd give you a decent car.... you could have all that for about 5000-6000 ( 3k for the car and 3k for the mods). depends on if u wanna b in the racin scene or the show scene...... If you have no clue wat im talking about mah bad... im asuming you know about cars
didnt mean to sound like a smart ass but thats not a question you should ask other people..who cares how "cool" people will think u r ... stick or auto? ... chances are you dont know how to drive stick but trust me its waaay worth learning... sorta like going from a tricycle to a normal bike ... looks hard but isnt and a lot more fun
jzxTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

You cant beat manual transmission (unless your in you 70's lol), not only do you get more of a feel for the car but you shift when YOU want to and not when the transmission decides it's right! plus if you ever get RWD manual It's a lot more fun!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #12
SilverCivicSi98
CF Newbie

OK. My brother has a manual on his '94 accord and he says hed much rather have an auto, but considering that accord has 200,000 miles and a lot of crap on it doesn't work, maybe theres just something wrong with his that makes it hard for him. But, anyway, I think, based on what you guys say about manual being fun, I guess I'll go with a manual. Besides, finding a manual Civic is easier than finding an automatic one.

Ya, I had to swerve, but I got it.

When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

Member of the unofficial Vwhobo fan club.
SilverCivicSi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #13
Arthur
On Probation

siwwy people Although manuals are nice provide better fuel economy and are more fun over all. automatics provide easier driving less trouble and you'll notice that once the big dogs start bushing BIG high horsepower numbers they are running automatics. Automatics are quicker and more precise and not to mention a hell of a lot stronger.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:02 AM   #14
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

If you know how to drive manual it can be a lot of fun. I, myself, am still learning in my GTZ. I sometimes (first gear and reverse when I'm just starting to take off) wish it was an automatic (because those gears are hardest for me right now. All the rest is butter).

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
and you'll notice that once the big dogs start bushing BIG high horsepower numbers they are running automatics. Automatics are quicker and more precise and not to mention a hell of a lot stronger.
Please oh great guru of transmissions, please cite some examples.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Last edited by vwhobo : 03-01-2004 at 01:07 AM.
vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote