Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

I'm thinking about...

...this Tremec TKO-500 transmisson for my Coronet. Actually, I'm thinking of using the "Keisler PerfectFit™ Transmission Systems for Auto-to-Manual Conversions" for $4,795.00. Here we go.

Tremec TKO-500 Transmission

Looks like a good idea. Gear ratios work out for me. Looks to be a good transmission. Plus, it'll come with all I need to finish the driveline after I drop in the 383 and bolt up the 8 3/4 rear in one package. Basically, Im sold on the concept and loving the idea. The question is, it it worth it? I'm sort of thinking it is.

I did a run down on the costs on my options. Option one being the conversion package running just over $5,000, and option two would be getting everything I need (bellhouse, flywheel, clutch kit, hydro actuator, pedals & pads, shifter, shift handle & knob, floor hump, cost of driveshaft shortening) to do the conversion with an A-833 4-speed. It just tops over $3,000. That is assuming the transmission will be a good one and be a clean swap from junk yard to my Coronet. So the difference between the two is $2,000 give or take a some. For that $2,000 the gain is a new transmission with a warrentee, good gear ratios, overdrive, not having to sweat having the driveshaft worked on, a clean swap deal, and a lot of convenance.

So the question is, is it worth it? Why or why not? Pros and cons?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
scaramouch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
...this Tremec TKO-500 transmisson for my Coronet. Actually, I'm thinking of using the "Keisler PerfectFit™ Transmission Systems for Auto-to-Manual Conversions" for $4,795.00. Here we go.

Looks like a good idea. Gear ratios work out for me. Looks to be a good transmission. Plus, it'll come with all I need to finish the driveline after I drop in the 383 and bolt up the 8 3/4 rear in one package. Basically, Im sold on the concept and loving the idea. The question is, it it worth it? I'm sort of thinking it is.

I did a run down on the costs on my options. Option one being the conversion package running just over $5,000, and option two would be getting everything I need (bellhouse, flywheel, clutch kit, hydro actuator, pedals & pads, shifter, shift handle & knob, floor hump, cost of driveshaft shortening) to do the conversion with an A-833 4-speed. It just tops over $3,000. That is assuming the transmission will be a good one and be a clean swap from junk yard to my Coronet. So the difference between the two is $2,000 give or take a some. For that $2,000 the gain is a new transmission with a warrentee, good gear ratios, overdrive, not having to sweat having the driveshaft worked on, a clean swap deal, and a lot of convenance.

Thanks.
how many pies is $4,795
scaramouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

A lot.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
A lot.
Not neccesarily. Look at this.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:

Thanks.

sounds worth it to me. wish i had the money to afford something like that for my car. keep us up dated on how it turns out
Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #6
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Not neccesarily. Look at this.

5/8 of a pie in that case.

About 995 Mrs. Smith deep dish apple pies. Mmm.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

I did some thinking and looking around and I really think I'm going to go with this. Looks like a winner to me.

Quote:
What is a TREMEC?
The 5 speed TREMEC transmissions are high performance, high quality manual overdrive transmissions manufactured by Transmission Technologies Corporation (TTC). TREMEC transmissions are installed as original equipment in virtually all new RWD sports cars built in North America. Such as the Corvette, Viper, Camaro and Mustang, including the 6-speed in the new Cobra with 390 hp and 390 lb. ft.