Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Keith's 1967 Dodge Coronet 440 Project

I had a thread about this, I know, but this is my new one.
Please, if you have any questions, PM me. Thank you.

1967 Dodge Coronets
--------------------------------------------------------
1967 Dodge Coronets came in quite a few sub models. IE; 440, 500, R/T packages. Some R/T packages even came with a hemi, and some with a hemi and a 4 speed. Some came in convertables, too. Here are a few.

Coronet 440

Coronet 500

Coronet R/T

Convertable Coronet

My Coronet
This is a 1967 Dodge Coronet 440 2 door. From the factory this particular model was equipped with a 225CID "slant 6" with a 3 speed automatic transmission, 7 1/4 rear end with 2.73:1 gears and a bench seat. Yeah, I know.

It's been in the family since new. Now it's mine. I've been working on it for about a year now. I've had it and done multiple things with it for about 3 years now, however, this is its future. Let me tell you what I'm going to do. First off, I'm building a fresh 383 BB (1965 block) for the new powerhouse, a 4 speed A-833 for the transmission, and an 8 3/4 rear with probably 3.23 gears. Headers and dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers with an h-pipe crossover. The only real non factory-optional modification being the custom under-dash "console" which will house the sound system's head unit and 3 gauges. Oil pressure, water temperature, and voltage. Also it'll be sporting some nice Cragar SS wheels, stock size. Then there's the hood scoop.

On the down and gritty, everything that this car would have had for the factory drivetrain (torsion bars, k-frame, leaf springs, ect) will be equipped.
Right now I've completely stripped down the car of everything except the front suspention. From here, the entire car will be stripped of paint and primer. The entire car, inside, outside, underside, will be primered. The underside will be coated with POR-15, the inside left primered, and of course the rest will be painted body color. The color will be the same color red as (sort of cherry, candy-apple red) that you see a lot of PT cruises painted as. I can't think of the name of the color at the moment, sorry. However, the hood and engine bay will be painted semi-gloss black. Not flat, and no, I'm not a chevy guy. From there the fresh motor will be dropped in, transmisson and hardware installed, rear end installed (all of these things rebuilt in tip top shape which I will go through as it's done for you and keep you all updated on). Once the drivetrain is in, I'll proceed with of course putting together the rest of the car except interior such as bumped, hood, trunk lid, doors, glass, bumpers, front, rear, ect. Once all of this is together it's time to tackle the interior. Mostly all new. New carpet, new upholstery on seats front and back, new package tray, new headliner, sun visors, ect, ect. There is a lot of in between and details left out, but you get the idea of the flow of things.

The Drivetrain
The 383CID V-8 big block was pulled out of a 1965 Fury III. It has been completely stripped, hot tanked, re-bored approx. .030 oversize. It has been decked for a deck height of .00. I'm using new KB hypereutectic pistons, moly rings, new piston pins. Old rods have been reconditioned, resized, with new top lined ARP rod bolts. Crank was ground .010/.010. Completely balanced rotating assembly within approx. half of a gram. Of course new bearings, new cam, lifters, cam bearings. Heads tanked and reconditioned with new guides, resurfaced, new valves, keepers, springs, rockers, rocker rail and hardware. All hardware and accessories are new such as push-rods, oil pickup, distributor, spark plugs, plug wires, intake, carb, fuel pump, oil pump, water pump, core plugs, head bolts, air cleaner, alternator, fan & clutch, valve covers, timing set, ect. Engine will have a compression ratio of 10:1 and .039 quench height.

The transmission will be an A-833 4 speed manual transmission. It will be cleaned up, inspected, and repaired as needed and installed. New billet steel flywheel, GOOD clutch kit, and a hydraulic actuating system. Rebuilt shifter and a new shift handle, knob, and boot. Also the transmission hump will be replaced to an OE reproduction for factory 4 speed look and feel.

The rear will be an 8 3/4 with open gears and I really don't care about the pinion diameter. It will be rebuilt with new axles, bearings, gears, and seals.

The Paint
Like I said earlier, the body color will be the same red as you see on a lot of PT cruisers and new Chargers. Hood will be black and engine bay will be black as well. Underside will be primered and POR-15 applied. The rest of the car will remain in primer. Every other thing such as the dash will be repainted as well.

The Interior
The interior will be all mostly new, and the obvious things that won't be replaced will be restored in tip-top shape. Entire front, dash, instrument panel, glove box, heater box, pedals, steering colum, steering wheel, everything, will be just like it was from the factory, look and feel. New carpet, pedal pads & trim, sun visors, headliner, seats upholstery, package tray, will all be new. Custom touch to the inside will include the under-dash (dash to floor) console which will house the sound system's head unit and the gauges. Door panels are in great shape and will be re-installed.

It's pretty much a given, but just as a note of course all new weatherstripping, hoses, and all of that good stuff will be new. Of course the body will be re-caulked, all of that good stuff, ect, too.

Last edited by 67Coronet383 : 12-07-2005 at 04:05 AM.
67Coronet383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:49 AM   #2
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

The Coronet as-is.

Car shot: side

Car shot: front

Engine bay

Interior: front
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 AM   #3
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Interior: rear

Underside: front

Underside: rear

Engine mocked-up

Engine as it is now

Here is the goal of the finished product. (thanks to ChrisV for the image)

So now you're up to speed on what coronets are about, what mine started life as, and where it's headed. I'll keep everyone updated on progress.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 AM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Please do Good Luck

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It'll turn out nicely...needs A LOT of work though...Keep us posted on what happens now

The thread definitely looks nicer now though
Old 12-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

why are you painting the engine bay black? just personal preference?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #7
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Saw you post today, good to see you around, now WHORE THIS THREAD WITH SOME MORE UPDATES.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Just to let you guys know the other project is top priority at the moment since I need the other car as a daily driver, but it won't take long at all to finish and be back on this Coronet. But the bad news is for both projects is my digital camera is broken. So until I get another one...no pictures.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
81-camaro
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Just to let you guys know the other project is top priority at the moment since I need the other car as a daily driver, but it won't take long at all to finish and be back on this Coronet. But the bad news is for both projects is my digital camera is broken. So until I get another one...no pictures.

wow looking good keep it up