Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

4g63

we couldn't find an accord yesterday but my dad asked about getting a new motor for my car, i want something better than the regular eclipse motor, with alot more power, how hard would the 4g63 be to install, and what all parts will i need, it is a turbocharged motor, any other suggestions though?
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Bino
Written Off

What car (specifically) do you currently have?

If you have a '95-'99 Eclipse/Talon that is non-turbo... it's a VERY difficult swap to put a 4G63 in it. Granted, it can be done, and has been done many times. But, you will ultimately spend more doing the swap than you would selling your non-turbo vehicle and purchasing a factory turbo car.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 PM   #3
mx3_monster
im completely sane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
What car (specifically) do you currently have?

If you have a '95-'99 Eclipse/Talon that is non-turbo... it's a VERY difficult swap to put a 4G63 in it. Granted, it can be done, and has been done many times. But, you will ultimately spend more doing the swap than you would selling your non-turbo vehicle and purchasing a factory turbo car.
if it is a 420a motor then it will be reallyu hard to put in the 4g63 because the 420a is a USDM motor and everything is on the other side than the 4g63.

But if it is the sohc 4g67 it will not be all that hard since the 4g67 and the 4g63 are both JDM motors.
remember the 4g63's are not DSM motors DSM motors are chrysler

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"

Last edited by mx3_monster : 12-22-2005 at 10:22 PM.
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx3_monster

Um.... yeah... about that.... that's totally wrong. But good try.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
mx3_monster
im completely sane

Quote:
Um.... yeah... about that.... that's totally wrong. But good try.
ok then you tell me what DSM stands for?

Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
Bino
Written Off

Diamond Star Motors, which was a joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi formed somewhere about 1987-1988 (the precise year eludes me), the first vehicle produced under this venture was the 1989 Eagle Talon which was available with a 1.8L SOHC 4G37 motor, or a 2.0L Naturally Aspirated DOHC 4G63, or a turbocharged 2.0L DOHC 4G63. The first time a 420A made its appearance in a DSM vehicle was 1995 in the non turbo Eclipse/Talon vehicles. The 420A was also used in the Dodge/Chrysler Neon, but since it was not produced at the DSM vehicle plant in Normal Illinois the Neon is in no way a DSM vehicle.

The Galant VR-4 is generally considered a DSM vehicle because of the 4G63t/AWD drivetrain, but technically they are not a DSM as they were not produced at the DSM plant in Illinois.

Next.

Last edited by Bino : 12-23-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Bino
Written Off

Just brushed up on my DSM's. The DSM venture was dissolved in 1993, so technically the 420A could in no way be associated with a DSM. Also, technically, the 2G DSM vehicles shouldn't be considered DSM's, but given the obvious heritage in the 2G, they are considered by most to be DSM's. My '95 GSX has DSM part number stickers on all of its body panels. This is common to early '95 DSM's.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 AM   #8
Bino
Written Off

DSM was actually formed in October 1985, just FYI.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:49 AM   #9
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
if it is a 420a motor then it will be reallyu hard to put in the 4g63 because the 420a is a USDM motor and everything is on the other side than the 4g63.

But if it is the sohc 4g67 it will not be all that hard since the 4g67 and the 4g63 are both JDM motors.

This is crap. Just because the steering wheel is on the other side, doesn't mean everything on the engine is on the other side. Just because the 420a and the 4G63 motors MAY have their parts on the opposite sides does not mean all JDM and USDM counterparts have parts opposite. It doesnt freaking matter if the original motor was JDM or USDM, to each vehicle its unique. Look at the 240sx, you can easily drop a SR20 into one of them, but wait! Wasn't the original motor USDM? Doesnt that mean everything is opposite of where it should be? No.

Do you not know about joint alliances? Its not only Chrylser/Mitsubishi. Nissan/GM had a short alliance obvious in the previous generation of Quest vans and it's Mercury counterpart. Toyota/GM alliance existed before Toyota opened up their own plants in North America. Mazda/Ford before Ford bought them out.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
This is crap. Just because the steering wheel is on the other side, doesn't mean everything on the engine is on the other side. Just because the 420a and the 4G63 motors MAY have their parts on the opposite sides does not mean all JDM and USDM counterparts have parts opposite. It doesnt freaking matter if the original motor was JDM or USDM, to each vehicle its unique. Look at the 240sx, you can easily drop a SR20 into one of them, but wait! Wasn't the original motor USDM? Doesnt that mean everything is opposite of where it should be? No.
Um, actually, the engines do look mirrored.
420A

4G63

Notice the location of the cam gears as well as the direction of the intake manifold/throttle body/air intake.

As far as the 240SX goes, the KA20 engine is mounted vertical because of the RWD, and so is the SR20. It's hard to imagine it reversed.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
mx3_monster
im completely sane

Quote:
Diamond Star Motors, which was a joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi formed somewhere about 1987-1988 (the precise year eludes me), the first vehicle produced under this venture was the 1989 Eagle Talon which was available with a 1.8L SOHC 4G37 motor, or a 2.0L Naturally Aspirated DOHC 4G63, or a turbocharged 2.0L DOHC 4G63. The first time a 420A made its appearance in a DSM vehicle was 1995 in the non turbo Eclipse/Talon vehicles. The 420A was also used in the Dodge/Chrysler Neon, but since it was not produced at the DSM vehicle plant in Normal Illinois the Neon is in no way a DSM vehicle.

The Galant VR-4 is generally considered a DSM vehicle because of the 4G63t/AWD drivetrain, but technically they are not a DSM as they were not produced at the DSM plant in Illinois.

Next.
ok so the 2nd gens are totally different then the first gens. so the first gens came stock with a 2.0l turbocharged motor from the factory then. Or they came with a n/a 2.0l what about the 2.4 was that just in the spyders then

Old 12-25-2005, 02:19 AM   #12
silvia_star
Banned

Quote:
ok so the 2nd gens are totally different then the first gens. so the first gens came stock with a 2.0l turbocharged motor from the factory then. Or they came with a n/a 2.0l what about the 2.4 was that just in the spyders then

ummm....first gens dont come spyders. only 2nd gen does.
silvia_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:51 AM   #13
mx3_monster
im completely sane

o yeah i forgot about that oooops so what displacement is the 420a then 2.0l im talkin abouit the 2nd gen

Old 12-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #14
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

Doing a 420a to 4g63 swap is possible, but a very difficult task. First, it's not just going to drop right in, the engine mounts are completely different, plus getting the whole wiring harness and installing it all.
If you want a 4g63 that much, it would be much easier to sell your car and buy a 4g63 model Eclipse/Talon, because the cost of doing the swap is quite expensive.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:53 AM   #15
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
o yeah i forgot about that oooops so what displacement is the 420a then 2.0l im talkin abouit the 2nd gen

Since the 420A only came in 2G's... I think we could have pieced that together. Yes, the 420A is a 2.0L, the 2.4L 4G64 motor is a 7-bolt 2.4L version of the 4G63, and was only available in the Eclipse Spyder. The G4CS motor in the late '80's, early '90's Hyundai Sonata is a 6-Bolt 2.4L 4G63 (not kidding).