Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Aondor
CF Addict

Beetle Conersion

My friend william owns a 72 super beetle he was wondering what is a good engine to swap up to and how much will it cost.
Thanks just some general stuff so we have some basis to research with.
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The best engine for the Beetle is, oddly enough, a built up Beetle engine. Cheap to make power from and capable of making a Bug go quite fast, even without turbos. EVERY other swap candidate costs more to go almost as fast.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Bino
Written Off

A buddy of mine built up a Type-4 2.0L for his Super Beetle (5 rib bus tranny), and he swapped Porsche 944 brakes all around.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aondor
My friend william owns a 72 super beetle he was wondering what is a good engine to swap up to and how much will it cost.
Thanks just some general stuff so we have some basis to research with.
Really, the first thing we need to determine is a "good engine" for what. Without a specific question, it's impossible to give a specific answer.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Aondor
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Really, the first thing we need to determine is a "good engine" for what. Without a specific question, it's impossible to give a specific answer.

A good engine something findable. Not like a one and only something pretty easy to get your hands on. And something that will convert with little trouble offering a fair amount of power.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
A good engine something findable. Not like a one and only something pretty easy to get your hands on. And something that will convert with little trouble offering a fair amount of power.
Okay, that tells me basiclly nothing. Let's try this. For what?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Okay, that tells me basiclly nothing. Let's try this. For what?
he said power so probably wants quick accelaration ( spelling) bassicaly for drag
Old 01-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
he said power so probably wants quick accelaration ( spelling) bassicaly for drag
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Your assumption has greatly clarified the situation. Did you see that news report on your crystal ball?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Your assumption has greatly clarified the situation. Did you see that news report on your crystal ball?
no i didn't... i read...he said power, which means he wants accelration, basically a good engine for drag.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tec
no i didn't... i read...he said power, which means he wants accelration, basically a good engine for drag.

Not necessarily. Power can mean quick acceleration, large top speed, better for dragging, or better for autocross (handling). He can also specifically want something with a lot of horsepower or/and a lot of torque, although I guess that's part of "power."

All things considered, however, until he clears it up for us, I would have to predict that he does indeed want something that accelerates quickly.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 AM   #11
Aondor
CF Addict

We want an engine for around town ofering quick acceleartion and that will give ok handling.
This isn't his everyday driver but gives drove alot.
Something he can take out on the weekends and realy enjoy but not be too rediculus.
Higher tourque is more important than horse power.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
We want an engine for around town ofering quick acceleartion and that will give ok handling.
This isn't his everyday driver but gives drove alot.
Something he can take out on the weekends and realy enjoy but not be too rediculus.
Higher tourque is more important than horse power.
And now for the important questions. How much of the work can you do for yourselves and what is the budget?

Old 01-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #13
Aondor
CF Addict

Id budget around 6500 dollars
And most work can be done by us and help from a friends dad.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Then again, I'm going to suggest building up a VW Bug engine. No conversion process, just a bolt in. But, you will have to upgrade your trans to handle the power. Whaddaya think, Hobo? Should he start out with a 2180, or you think maybe a bit bigger? I'd recommend going Type 4 for a bigger engine, but not on that budget considering he still needs to get a beefed up trans.

Funnny thing is, to me, $6500 seems like a HUGE budget for a Bug, considering I rarely spent a third of that...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Id budget around 6500 dollars
And most work can be done by us and help from a friends dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Then again, I'm going to suggest building up a VW Bug engine. No conversion process, just a bolt in. But, you will have to upgrade your trans to handle the power. Whaddaya think, Hobo? Should he start out with a 2180, or you think maybe a bit bigger? I'd recommend going Type 4 for a bigger engine, but not on that budget considering he still needs to get a beefed up trans.

Funnny thing is, to me, $6500 seems like a HUGE budget for a Bug, considering I rarely spent a third of that...
Yeah, $6500 seems like an awful lot of budget for just the engine. I can build really nice cars for half that much. My gut tells me that that number if for the entire car, and the engine allowance is going to be about 25% of that number.

IF that is correct for just the engine, we can get pretty serious. So let's clarify it one more time. Is that number JUST for the engine or what?