Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #61
strewart
CF Newbie

Wow this place needs modding... We're talking about cars in neutral, its not the end of the world. Calm down.

The reasoning may be wrong, I thought it was hard to stall in neutral but I've seen someone stall an auto somehow, but the site still supports the view that it is illegal to.. In any case, it causes loss of control so I don't think it is worth it to save a few dollars on petrol.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #62
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

http://hamptonroadstrafficlawyers.com/
Happy? there is your link...3 Point violation for coasting in neutral...now where is my apollogy? I can find more links if you want

SECTION 56-5-3840. Coasting prohibited.

The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral. The driver of a commercial motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged.
http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t56c005.htm

Now do you belive me? thats 2 states right there...South Carolina and Virgina
Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #63
carls47807
CF Freak

you know what should be even more illegal? being a total dipshit.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #64
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragoner
http://hamptonroadstrafficlawyers.com/
Happy? there is your link...3 Point violation for coasting in neutral...now where is my apollogy? I can find more links if you want

SECTION 56-5-3840. Coasting prohibited.

The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral. The driver of a commercial motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged.
http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t56c005.htm

Now do you belive me? thats 2 states right there...South Carolina and Virgina
I owe you an apology for what? The fact that you have no critical thinking or logic skills? Sorry, not my fault. Let's start from the beginning. You posted;

Quote:
ummm just to let you guys know, in most places it is ILLEGAL to coast in neutral when driving. If a cop catches you then you are in bit trouble. But really, unless you are driving manual don't shift to neutral (on a manual its almost like holding the clutch in but it doesn't heat up the bearings...also rev then engine a bit before you put it in gear to reduce the strain on the tranny). Auto should never be put into neutral when driving (of course unless something very bad happens to it). Use common sense when doing stuff like this. Sure you may save a tiny bit of money doing this, but is it worth the risk? I mean how fast can you get out of the way of someone coming at you if your car is in neutral? often there is only seconds to react...and if you have to go back into gear you lose precious time
That is a cut and paste of your exact words. Notice the fact that you stated "just to let you guys know, in most places it is ILLEGAL to coast in neutral when driving". Well first off, the last time I checked Virginia and South Carolina weren't most places, they are only two. But the plot gets better. You then posted;

Quote:
Hell if I know what the link is...but a police officer told me himself that it is illegal to coast in neutral because you do not have full control of the car. It is actually illegal to lose control of the car in most places or even a little bit
No facts, just blather. At the time you didn't have anything to support your statement. That as I pointed out meant you were still talking bullsh*t, just guessing and groping for straws like you're doing now. Now let's take a real close look at the laws that you sight, claiming they prohibit coasting.

South Carolina Code, 56-5-3840 very specifically states;

"Coasting prohibited.

The driver of any motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with the gears of such vehicle in neutral. The driver of a commercial motor vehicle when traveling upon a downgrade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged."

That is not a blanket prohibition of coasting, but instead one that covers only a very specific set of circumstances. Now let's look at Virginia's law on the subject, 46.2-811;

"Coasting prohibited.

The driver of any motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade on any highway shall not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral."

Almost exactly the same thing as SC, and still not a blanket prohibition. Very specific circumstances. What you have done, as so many other people who need to find a way to support and verify incorrect statements, is to take part of the wording of a rule or regulation and use it out context. So if you can play that game, so will I.

Did you know that according to South Carolina law 56-5-3835, it's illegal to drive a vehicle? Yep, it very specifically states "No person shall drive any vehicle". Right there in black and white. Of course like you I forgot to include all of the information like the rest of the sentence that says "upon a sidewalk or sidewalk area except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway." Kind of changes the meaning, doesn't it Twinkie?

The next time you want to play games with words and/or bullsh*t somebody about something, don't do it here. You're now tagged as a tap dancer and a spewer of bullsh*t. Have a nice day.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 02-25-2006, 03:00 AM   #65
VertigoPills
CF Newbie

Quote:
Hell if I know what the link is...but a police officer told me himself that it is illegal to coast in neutral because you do not have full control of the car. It is actually illegal to lose control of the car in most places or even a little bit

Umm... you actually take police officers seriously? lol. Often they'll trick you into voiding your own rights to make their job easier.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:04 AM   #66
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoPills
Umm... you actually take police officers seriously? lol. Often they'll trick you into voiding your own rights to make their job easier.

thanks for bringing up a post over 2 weeks old...

NOT
Closed Thread