Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
illusion34
CF Addict

volkswagon golfs, reliability?

i have an oportunity to pick up a 92 golf for about 450$ canadian.. it is mechanicly perfect but there is some rust on the body and the paint isnt bright anymore, it is also a 5 speed manual... it also doesnt have any extra options.. im just wondering.. would it be a good first car? im 15 now and i would work on it abit so that next year id have a car. i liked the 93-99 ones better because they have a nicer shape.. but over all.. are these cars reliable and cheap to fix? also.. since it has only 100 horses.. would it be easy to give it a lil more kick
illusion34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion34
i have an oportunity to pick up a 92 golf for about 450$ canadian.. it is mechanicly perfect but there is some rust on the body and the paint isnt bright anymore, it is also a 5 speed manual... it also doesnt have any extra options.. im just wondering.. would it be a good first car? im 15 now and i would work on it abit so that next year id have a car. i liked the 93-99 ones better because they have a nicer shape.. but over all.. are these cars reliable and cheap to fix? also.. since it has only 100 horses.. would it be easy to give it a lil more kick
From the info you've suplied, I'm assuming it's a very late mk2 model Golf? depending on the engine size In my opinion this would suite you down to the ground. Golfs of this era are extreamly reliable, hence why you still see loads on the road! usually go on for many a trouble free mile, too!

I personally prefer the look of this shape to its successor, I owned one for a while (1.6 Driver) and she gave me no trouble at all!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
illusion34
CF Addict

yes, its an mk2 and i believe its 1.8 litre engine... the body has some rust like under the drivers side and some otherbody rust... around how much would it cost to get the body in perfect shape and a nice black paintjob?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
illusion34
CF Addict

anyone?
Old 02-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
yes, its an mk2 and i believe its 1.8 litre engine... the body has some rust like under the drivers side and some otherbody rust... around how much would it cost to get the body in perfect shape and a nice black paintjob?
Depends if you want if perfect....or just rust free lol. Cat see it costing more than around $200? ish lol. 1.8litre isn't the ideal engine for a first car, but as far as I'm aware insurance aint to big an issue over there!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
anyone?
Depends on where you go. Pull out the yellow pages and call.
---------
And if memory serves me right, Consumer reports rated the golf as one of the cars to avoid.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
illusion34
CF Addict

ok i went and see it today.. runs ok. the mufflers busted, theres rust on the left passenger door. would it be possible for me to just sand the rusk and putty the holes? also, whats a good exhaust for that car, not a ricer exhaust one with a nice deep sound?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
ok i went and see it today.. runs ok. the mufflers busted, theres rust on the left passenger door. would it be possible for me to just sand the rusk and putty the holes? also, whats a good exhaust for that car, not a ricer exhaust one with a nice deep sound?
Dunno about an aftermarket exhaust. Depends on the size of the hole on it as to whether or not it's repairable!

Old 02-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
illusion34
CF Addict

i dont want to repair the exhaust... just want a whole new one. as for the rust, can i just grind it off and putty it?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
i dont want to repair the exhaust... just want a whole new one. as for the rust, can i just grind it off and putty it?
LOL sorry, I misunderstood. You can putty the rust holes, but it wont have a very nice finish and depending on what tests vehicles go through over there, it probably wont past a road worthyness test!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #11
illusion34
CF Addict

lol y wouldnt it? so then... id have to bring it to a body shop and ask then to fix all the rust and give it a black glossy paintjob.. could i get that done fonr under 1 g?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
lol y wouldnt it? so then... id have to bring it to a body shop and ask then to fix all the rust and give it a black glossy paintjob.. could i get that done fonr under 1 g?
It depends whether or not the rust is classed as being a structual weakness. In the UK structual means withing 30cm of a seatbelt mounting, suspension joint etc. Or if it's just covered in rust lol. Anyway, if the rust is a structual weakness in the first place, it's gonna fail a test as soon as the tester taps it coz it's gonna make a different noise to the rest of the vehicle, it might even push the putty through. So in other words putty doesn't solve the problem, it just masks it!

You wouldn't have to take it to a body shop, a gargage with welding facilities can weld it, and just slap a bit of paint over the top lol. That's all it needs!

Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 AM   #13
illusion34
CF Addict

ya but i dont want a crappy job that shows, i want a good body with a decent whole paintjob!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:55 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
ya but i dont want a crappy job that shows, i want a good body with a decent whole paintjob!
It'll be a respectable job. Most garages only touch up the panels they weld with paint. As rust geerally forms on wheel arches or sill etc, a good paint job aint necessary, unlike if it was a whole wing that was needed!

Old 02-27-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
illusion34
CF Addict

so what do u suggest i do? bring it to a body shop and have them have a look?