Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
aphelion
CF Newbie

New Member, First Question! :D

Hey guys! I'm new to the forums - I've read quite a bit here already, and I really like the attitude on these forums I'm 21, and a college student in Orlando, FL.

I have my first question for you all. I'm a poor college student, and I really like speed. I can deal with an ugly car, but I need a 13 second or faster car, and I need to do it for 4-5k (less if possible). Does anyone have any advice for me?

I am currently mainly looking at trying to get an 89-92 mustang.

Thanks in advance for your help!
aphelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Is that a NEED or a WANT I just read?

What are you going to be doing with this car and why do you absolutely have to have one for the price you specified? I am just trying to understand Prices of used cars are going to be variable based on many things and there is no real way for anyone to say, oh yeah....a 19XX XXX will be the car of choice for you. I am curious to see what people come up with. Are you going to be racing this car or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums - I've read quite a bit here already, and I really like the attitude on these forums I'm 21, and a college student in Orlando, FL.

I have my first question for you all. I'm a poor college student, and I really like speed. I can deal with an ugly car, but I need a 13 second or faster car, and I need to do it for 4-5k (less if possible). Does anyone have any advice for me?

I am currently mainly looking at trying to get an 89-92 mustang.

Thanks in advance for your help!
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:37 AM   #3
aphelion
CF Newbie

I'm not planning on racing it, I just want to have something that will tear up friends' cars. I've been driving beaters for a while now to save money, and I have enough to spend 4-5k on a car, and still have enough money to repair it, should something happen. I also have a truck to drive temporarily, if I need it.

All I'm looking for is a little advice on which direction to head.. should I buy an old mustang or camaro, should I buy a rebuilt engine, or just try to find one with low mileage? Should I get an import that will support some kind of bigger engine and do it that way? Should I rebuild an eclipse awd and add nitrous?
I really don't know what I want, which is why I'm asking for suggestions. Or even if you have a friend who made it ~13seconds for 5k or less, let me know what they did, please!
Old 03-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
Phoenix
CF Newbie

Hey aphelion...i like your thinking with getting and eclipse!!! good choice !!! see my way of thinking is that the smaller turbo cars a deff the best choice cause with just a few decent mods you can get them going as fast as the big V8's and once you hit the twisty windy streets you'll out run a big car any day!!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Hey aphelion...i like your thinking with getting and eclipse!!! good choice !!! see my way of thinking is that the smaller turbo cars a deff the best choice cause with just a few decent mods you can get them going as fast as the big V8's and once you hit the twisty windy streets you'll out run a big car any day!!

Until you run in to someone like me who built a Fox chassis Mustang with a 600 hp 460 and Global West suspension (1+ G cornering in street form) for a grand total of $5k including price of the car...

American cars can handle just fine.

Or, alternatively, you could build a car like my V8 RX7. Starting with a $500 dead RX7 and a $1000 ex race small block V8. If you do it right, you could duplicate this car for under $5000 including all the road race suspension:

12.1 second quarter mile on stret tires and 1.2G laterally:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:53 AM   #6
aphelion
CF Newbie

NICE rx7 Chris!

Alright then, I've got it narrowed down to either

1. A fox body mustang with a suped-up engine
2. An import with a SBC - possibly an rx7 or 240z.

I guess now it just comes down to watching out for really good deals on those cars

Thanks for the feedback guys! If you think of anything else, I'd love to hear more ideas.