Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2004, 02:52 AM   #1
irishcop
CF Newbie

classic ford mustang

Hi, Im looking for help. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I have always had a desire to own a classic mustang. I like fastbacks, but also love convertibles. Any tips for someone like me? Im not rich, and live in an area where the winters are sort of harsh.
irishcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 03:50 AM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcop
Hi, Im looking for help. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I have always had a desire to own a classic mustang. I like fastbacks, but also love convertibles. Any tips for someone like me? Im not rich, and live in an area where the winters are sort of harsh.

Tip #1: Use the Introduce Yourself thread to...Introduce Yourself...

Conversation and help follow quickly.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
irishcop
CF Newbie

thanks for the tip!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:34 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well, you've given such a broad question it's really hard to know where to start. Could you be maybe a little more specific?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 AM   #5
irishcop
CF Newbie

sure... I love old mustangs, especially fastbacks, mach 1's you know the type. Im looking to spend about 10,000. I know that wont get me a show car, but I need to know what to look for and what I should reasonably expect for the money. I also like the 64 1\2-67 convertibles. I am definitely not a mechanic, so it has to be in good shape. I want a daily driver, and something with some power. I can do your basic fix ups, mostly cosmetic, but nothing under the hood or that type of thing. basically Im looking for someone to guide me to buying a car Im not going to regret buying.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
72Cutlass442
CF Newbie

The first thing we need is a definition of "classic" since that could mean different era's to different people. Secondly tell us where are you from a little more specifically than harsh winters since if you're living in New York you're going to have different problems than Alaska or something. You say you're not mechanically inclined but how willing are you to learn and work on your car and when you say not rich what kind of budget are we looking at to start you off and what kind of money could you put into it in the future. This will give us some stuff to start working with to be able to help.

You posted right as I did but if you're still around answer some of my ?'s
54 Chevy Custom Deluxe 5 Window
71 Super Beetle
Working on getting the 71 GTX 440

Last edited by 72Cutlass442 : 03-17-2004 at 05:33 AM.
72Cutlass442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
irishcop
CF Newbie

Well, I live in PA, so the winters are definitely not as harsh as Alaska! But we do get a decent amount of snow. Classic to me means 1960's, 1970's. I am definitely willing to learn as I go, and I dont have too much money to spend after purchase. no more than $3000 (maximum!!) to completion. (Completion meaning a nice looking and running car). Thanks!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
sure... I love old mustangs, especially fastbacks, mach 1's you know the type. Im looking to spend about 10,000. I know that wont get me a show car, but I need to know what to look for and what I should reasonably expect for the money. I also like the 64 1\2-67 convertibles. I am definitely not a mechanic, so it has to be in good shape. I want a daily driver, and something with some power. I can do your basic fix ups, mostly cosmetic, but nothing under the hood or that type of thing. basically Im looking for someone to guide me to buying a car Im not going to regret buying.
Well I don't have any good news for you but maybe I can provide some information to help you along. First off, $3k to get in the door for a Mustang is not alot. For that type of money, expect to see the words "unfinished project", "needs work", "not running", "rusty", etc. Or words that you won't see such as "undesireable model". Double the likelyhood of that being the case if you restrict your search to your general location (the rust belt) and triple it if just gotta have a convertible or Mach 1.

Second, although I understand your desire for a decent running car, the mechanics are normally cheaper and easier to take care of than body damage and rust. I think most people who have ever done up an old car(s) will agree a straight, rust free car with worn out/bad/missing powertrain is an easier and cheaper project than a car that's wrecked or rotting away.

None of this is meant to put you off, just to give you a realistic view of the situation. People do find nice cars for cheap, maybe even in a garage right next door. But in all likelyhood it'll take some time and effort on your part to find what you're looking for. One major bonus of doing a Mustang is the huge aftermarket where essentially every part is available new.

Good luck with your quest and here are two places to start your search.

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/

http://www.hmn.com/

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #9
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

I agree with VWhobo, it's much easier to fix engine parts than some damn rust, or a bent frame.

<Power to Weight>

Integra_LS - Member of the unofficial vwhobo fan
Integra_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Well, let's see, you're looking at spending no more than $13k total, right? fastback or convertible? The converts, in decent shape, are going to obliterate your budget. And to be honest, the '64 1/2-66 fastbacks will do so as well.

You might find a 64-66 Mustang convertible with 6 cyl for under $15k (ColectorcarOnline has a few) but if you want the V8 it'll cost you. there's a '64 1/2 Mustang convert with the original 260 V8 for 414 in Lake Ariel, PA, but it's $14k. he's also got a 289 powered '65 clean restoration for $18,500.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...8/67611638.htm

I'm a bodyman, so bodywork doesn't scare me, but it should scare the non mechanically inclined. Trust me, making an engine run is much easier than makeing a rusty car non-rusty. I've done it often, but I don't recommend it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

YOU'RE F*CKING WELCOME, ASSCHEESE. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say it's been a pleasure to serve you. After all that's what our existence revolves around, helping pieces of sh*t like you who don't feel the need to acknowledge our time or effort.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:50 PM   #12
SuperJew
I like pie.

asscheese...hee hee thats a good one.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
irishcop
CF Newbie

well, first of all..... to those who helped me and dont drive VW's, I apologize for not being around to answer, I was in a car accident, so I wasnt able to type too much. second of all...... VW prick, If thats the way you handle the posts on this board, I could give a "SH@T" less about your opinion, you have totally disgraced this board and I will never post here again. kiss my A$$
Old 03-28-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
well, first of all..... to those who helped me and dont drive VW's, I apologize for not being around to answer, I was in a car accident, so I wasnt able to type too much. second of all...... VW prick, If thats the way you handle the posts on this board, I could give a "SH@T" less about your opinion, you have totally disgraced this board and I will never post here again. kiss my A$$
1. Sorry to hear about your car accident. Hope you're okay.

2. Okey dokey.