Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
DannyD
CF Newbie

CLK500 vs Cadillac STS vs BMW 525i vs BMW 330i

Ok which of these is the best? I'm a fan of the new BMW 335Ci coupe or whatever they will call it, (I heard 335 Ci bbecause it has an even more powerfull engine), but that won't be out untill 2007 or gasp, even 08.

Any of these I am ONLY considering the color choices, Black on Black, or Black on Tan, Interior/Exterior respectivly. No I'm not considering the CTS as my friend already has one and I get to drive it whenever I want anyway (a white one), or the C class because it is not that impressive.

I want more than adequate preformance, but am looking for overall quality.

The STS and 525i are all base models with no features. 330i can get a few grand worth of goodies, sun roof etc, and the CLK doesn't have any features, so it's all good. I only drive Automatic cars as well, though I am a big fan of Manumatic Transmisions.

What do you guys think... which one fits the bill best?
DannyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD
Ok which of these is the best? I'm a fan of the new BMW 335Ci coupe or whatever they will call it, (I heard 335 Ci bbecause it has an even more powerfull engine), but that won't be out untill 2007 or gasp, even 08.

Any of these I am ONLY considering the color choices, Black on Black, or Black on Tan, Interior/Exterior respectivly. No I'm not considering the CTS as my friend already has one and I get to drive it whenever I want anyway (a white one), or the C class because it is not that impressive.

The STS and 525i are all base models with no features. 330i can get a few grand worth of goodies, sun roof etc, and the CLK doesn't have any features, so it's all good. I only drive Automatic cars as well, though I am a big fan of Manumatic Transmisions.

how old are you??
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
DannyD
CF Newbie

Yeah I thought that might help, 25, and I own my own business. Nothing too fancy.
DannyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

As far as what you're looking for, I have no freakin clue. But I'd take the 330.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Yeah I thought that might help, 25, and I own my own business. Nothing too fancy.
I think he was being sarcastic lol...but anyways, if you're not twelve (which in fairness, doesn't seem likely because you can type lol), I'd go for the Mercedes as in my opinion, luxury comes as more of a standard feature in most Mercs, whereas in the others, luxury costs a premium!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:

These cars are all so different. Only the 525i and the STS are even in the same catagory.

But I will ATTEMPT to help you. Is the CLK going to be a cab? I would probably take the CLK 500 over them all because I like the styling, you maybe getting the cab (I dunno, you didnt say), it has the largest engine of those listed, and I would never buy a Cadillac if I had the choice between a BMW, MB, or a Caddy (but thats just me).

I have another question, why are you not considering any Japanese cars? A Lexus/ Infiniti/ Acura has better reliability than any of these cars and be just as comfortable. Judging by your choices, I believe that you are going for the best known/ respected brands generally. But I could be wrong.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
born to drive
CF Newbie

trhe 330ci is the better car IMHO, not a fan of mercs as the vast majority of them are automatics (but that a personal opinion). the new 5 series car is fabulous and i love the design. the only problem is that its alot heavier than the old model and id consider a 530d version which over here in ireland are pretty similarly priced.

i cant comment on the cts as ive never seen one let alone driven one
Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
born to drive
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
These cars are all so different. Only the 525i and the STS are even in the same catagory.

But I will ATTEMPT to help you. Is the CLK going to be a cab? I would probably take the CLK 500 over them all because I like the styling, you maybe getting the cab (I dunno, you didnt say), it has the largest engine of those listed, and I would never buy a Cadillac if I had the choice between a BMW, MB, or a Caddy (but thats just me).

I have another question, why are you not considering any Japanese cars? A Lexus/ Infiniti/ Acura has better reliability than any of these cars and be just as comfortable. Judging by your choices, I believe that you are going for the best known/ respected brands generally. But I could be wrong.

whats the depreciation like over there for japanese luxury models? they dont hold there values at all here which mean you can get a cracking bargin for a car 2/3 yrs old - especially the LS430 or GS430

but then again i hate those half wooden steering wheels!! does any 25yr old want a wooden steering wheel
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think he was being sarcastic lol...but anyways, if you're not twelve (which in fairness, doesn't seem likely because you can type lol), I'd go for the Mercedes as in my opinion, luxury comes as more of a standard feature in most Mercs, whereas in the others, luxury costs a premium!
But then of course, you have to spend more for a name plate premium with a Mercedes. As well as a BMW in most cases.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by born to drive
trhe 330ci is the better car IMHO, not a fan of mercs as the vast majority of them are automatics (but that a personal opinion). the new 5 series car is fabulous and i love the design. the only problem is that its alot heavier than the old model and id consider a 530d version which over here in ireland are pretty similarly priced.

i cant comment on the cts as ive never seen one let alone driven one
And untill now, Mercedes' manual boxes were tacking and unrefined. I've driven a few older (only like 1999) model Merc C-classes and the manual gearboxes were crap, atleast now they've rectified this obvious problem. Also, one possitive point on BMW's, is that their Gearboxes are some of the best available....especially when shifting into reverse lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
But then of course, you have to spend more for a name plate premium with a Mercedes. As well as a BMW in most cases.
Yes, but atleast with the badge you get some standard luxury, and the initial prices aren't that different to each other!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Yes, but atleast with the badge you get some standard luxury, and the initial prices aren't that different to each other!
I suppose it depends on which cars you are talking about...

In particular, the C-class and on up midway through the E-Class range there are far better buys out there. Higher end Mercedes' though, are among the best in their class and price range.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:50 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
I suppose it depends on which cars you are talking about...

In particular, the C-class and on up midway through the E-Class range there are far better buys out there. Higher end Mercedes' though, are among the best in their class and price range.
In the smaller Mercs particularly, you get more for your money, for example, untill recently BMW 318i's had wind up rear windows....maybe they still do lol

Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by born to drive
whats the depreciation like over there for japanese luxury models? they dont hold there values at all here which mean you can get a cracking bargin for a car 2/3 yrs old - especially the LS430 or GS430

but then again i hate those half wooden steering wheels!! does any 25yr old want a wooden steering wheel
I'd hate to break it to you, but NONE of those cars are geared for 25 year olds, they are for older, more responsible, (generally) richer people who are buying these cars. I drive my mom's RX330 (she has cancer so she is in the hospital/ unable to drive because of pain etc often so when I can I drive her car) has a wooden steering wheel and I love it; it just feels like real luxury. A 25 year old looking at a STS or CLK 500 or 5-series I find to be very strange, but if you are doing that well...

Also, to my knowledge there is no 530d over here; however, because the E-class now has a CDI version, I'd expect BMW to follow suit.

Over here the deprication is just as screwed up, but the money that you would save in reliability should make up for it somewhat. Also, if you are 25 and buying any of these cars and worried about the deprication rate for 2-3 years (i.e. expect to sell it in that period of time for a new, nicer car) I would be skeptical once again.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
I'd hate to break it to you, but NONE of those cars are geared for 25 year olds, they are for older, more responsible, (generally) richer people who are buying these cars. I drive my mom's RX330 (she has cancer so she is in the hospital/ unable to drive because of pain etc often so when I can I drive her car) has a wooden steering wheel and I love it; it just feels like real luxury. A 25 year old looking at a STS or CLK 500 or 5-series I find to be very strange, but if you are doing that well...

Also, to my knowledge there is no 530d over here; however, because the E-class now has a CDI version, I'd expect BMW to follow suit.

Over here the deprication is just as screwed up, but the money that you would save in reliability should make up for it somewhat. Also, if you are 25 and buying any of these cars and worried about the deprication rate for 2-3 years (i.e. expect to sell it in that period of time for a new, nicer car) I would be skeptical once again.
I agree with the whole wooden steering wheel thing, it gives the car a sense of luxury. I'd choose a wooden one over a leather one too, as the stitching on leather wheels irritates my fingers lol (one of the work cars has a leather steering wheel and driving it for 200miles at a time sure takes it's toll lol)

Old 04-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
In the smaller Mercs particularly, you get more for your money, for example, untill recently BMW 318i's had wind up rear windows....maybe they still do lol
Perhaps between BMW's and Mercedes...but here's an example for you.

2006 Acura TL (no bias, it's just a good example) vs. Mercedes Benz C280
Both come with leather, wood, etc.

2006 Acura TL
Base Price: $33325.00
Engine: 3.2L V6, 270 hp (201 kw) 238 lb-ft (323 Nm)
Radio: Acura/ELS Surround(TM) AM/FM Radio With 225-Watts and 8 Speakers Total; Cassette Player With Dolby(R) Noise Reduction; In-Dash 6-Disc CD Changer; DVD Audio Player With DTS(R); XM Satellite Radio

2006 Mercedes-Benz C280
Base Price: $32,950.00
Engine: 3.0L V6, 228 hp (170 kw) 221 lb-ft (300 Nm)
Radio: AM/FM Radio With Speed Sensitive Volume and 6-Speakers Total; CD Player; MP3 Player

The radio information comes from the same site for both cars, I used the radio because it shows best that when it comes to the lower-end Benzes, there are better buys elsewhere.