Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think about the 1969 Camaro in a crate?
Never heard of it. 10 29.41%
Worst idea ever. 2 5.88%
Wow, what a concept! 17 50.00%
Legal battle nightmare! 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2005, 04:49 AM   #16
x1/9-rally
CF Enthusiast

Well I read an article in HOTROD if I remember right, that Dynacorn has plans to make a 69 hardtop,67-68 convertible and hardtops, and are having talks with Ford for reproduction mustangs. They said they currentlly have no plans in the future to reporduce any Mopar bodys. I personlly think its a great idea to make new bodys for the cars we love and all want(well most of us).
Old 11-09-2005, 05:01 AM   #17
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

This may be an old thread but people are now posting in it again so what the hell...

If you click on the link in the first post it shows (and talks alittle about) the hardtop body. They are no out yet but should be soon, they were at the SEMA show apparently.

Personally I think this whole thing is a good idea (to a point), as it can get pretty hard (and costly) to find an original Camaro body in perfect shape. But then the problem with Clones/fakes comes up (although there already is that problem, it'll only get worse with more available parts out there). I doubt they'd ever do this with most MOPARS (as they dont make every part as a reproduction as it is) cause it'd be too costly, they'd have to start reproducing other parts that they dont already make so that it'll be easier. The one main downside (i think anyways) would be that with the availabilty of these cars/parts, the value of the real ones will also go down cause more people would rather buy a fake or build their own rather then pay alot more for a real one.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 AM   #18
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
.......The one main downside (i think anyways) would be that with the availabilty of these cars/parts, the value of the real ones will also go down cause more people would rather buy a fake or build their own rather then pay alot more for a real one.

Maybe....but there are the purists out there that will refuse to own a "re-body" and will pay top dollar for an original....It also has sparked the market and made a popular car even more popular...prices continue to climb daily....Seems everyone is looking to buy a project camaro these days...
Old 11-09-2005, 05:24 AM   #19
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
Maybe....but there are the purists out there that will refuse to own a "re-body" and will pay top dollar for an original....It also has sparked the market and made a popular car even more popular...prices continue to climb daily....Seems everyone is looking to buy a project camaro these days...
Thats true I guess. The purists may know more of what their looking for and whats real but I bet even they can/have gotten ripped off before. The prices for any old car are going up though lately, still not a bad idea by the people who had this idea. Camaro projects may be so popular BECAUSE of the ease it is to get the parts you need for them (and at a reasonable cost too), the same cant be said for alot of older MOPARS and things like that.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #20
kool352
CF Newbie

i really dont like this idea what happened to the good days of fixing the rust your self. there will soon be a bunch of rich daddys boys running around in Camaro's that they had built in a shop some where. i myself am fixing up an old 1962 Nova and i have to fix all the cancer myself and i love it you get a better bond with the car than just buying all new stuff. but just my oppinion
kool352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:58 AM   #21
ZZ572/620
CF Newbie

Wink positive impact

Although my own opinion, I think having this option avaliable to the market is a positive one. As more time goes on, I think that more and more doors will become closed in the market of musclecar era replacement parts. Purchasing this body will save alot of time. Like stated previously, I love the hands on work. I would rather balance and blueprint my own engine than buy one in a crate. However today's market offers some things that just can't be ignored. Take the 572 crate motor. Given the right tuning and suspension of the car, you change the cam and the intake on this thing and you have a very serious street engine. Now in some situations, like say the project car your starting out with is just completley gone, the labor and cost of replacing all the panels yourself, not to mention the bodywork required, vs. going down the alternative road, is probably a better option for some. The car comes sealed (Dupont if I remember right), the body is already straight, (although personally I would guide coat and block sand it anyway) not to mention the seam sealer and other materials used on these bodies is far superior than what was available to GM back then. For me, time is also a factor. I've been in Iraq for almost over a year now, and when I get home, all I can think about is putting that 572 in. Yes, half the fun in doing a project is the work itself, but in some cases can just become overwhelming. And is the total cost in the end justified? I guess it boils down to everymans opinion. But if you go down this road, it's not like you inheriting someone elses mistakes. From what I've read on this so far, Dynacorn has gone thru maticulious care to ensure this bodies are a quality product. As I'm sure they will be under high scruitney from the critics. At least the crate body is just one aspect of the overhaul project. Now of we were talking about complete turn key cars (which I think is in the motions), I think that would be taking way to much away from the automotive hobby. Has anyone heard on a release date for the hardtops?
ZZ572/620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
carfanatic21
CF Newbie

Part of the fun of owning a muscle car is finding an old body fixing it up even finding out who owned the car before every one of those car has a unique history thats something that a remake cant compare to
Old 05-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #23
Papa_Joe
CF Newbie

Nothing like the real thing

Let me say this-all responses sound extremely educated and specific. I am 41 and have NEVER owned a new Camaro. I have owned 8 old ones. Currently a 1994 with 157k+ miles on origional engine. Yes I am nostalgic-hell Im old-I cant help but be nostalgic.

All you diehard wrenches out there imagine this
There is nothing like getting into an origional old classic Camaro. The smell is different, the feel is different, looking out the window feels different. Ladies, its an old Camaro. Its almost God Like.

With that said, the idea and concept is ok. My concern has always been the loss for the days of Muscle Cars. I am sorry to say, the commercial for the new ford mustang-"Going Back To Basic" is a joke-that mustang looks nothing like the old 68 Mustang. The new 2007 concept Camaro does not look like the old Camaro. It wont smell like it, it wont feel like it, and looking out the window will not make you feel like your in a Muscle Car. You will be in a fast, new smelling car. The box cars idea will at least get people to imagine what it was like to look out an origional-but always remember-the origional is always better

Just an old mans opinion

Papa
Papa_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote