Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2004, 07:03 AM   #1
jobs50
CF Newbie

Question 1991 Mustang 2.3L

I have a four cylinder 1991 mustang lx, I was driving on the freeway and boom I lost power, couldnt get above 50 miles and started smelling real bad. I had the pedal to the floor and just bogging down terrible, shaking and then I pulled over. Looked under the car and the first catalytic converter and exhaust pipes into the engine were red hot. Took it to the mechanic and it did it again, we tested the coil packs and found a cylinder was gone, we got some used but working coil packs and put them on, replaced the fuel filter, and it seemed to work for awhile, then it did the same thing to my wife about a month and a half later. Replaced the plug wires and plugs, car responds great but after it heats up it drops a cylinder again. Once it cools off I can drive it like normal. No error codes show up on the computer. Kinda stuck as to what to do next.
Ryan
jobs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobs50
I have a four cylinder 1991 mustang lx, I was driving on the freeway and boom I lost power, couldnt get above 50 miles and started smelling real bad. I had the pedal to the floor and just bogging down terrible, shaking and then I pulled over. Looked under the car and the first catalytic converter and exhaust pipes into the engine were red hot. Took it to the mechanic and it did it again, we tested the coil packs and found a cylinder was gone, we got some used but working coil packs and put them on, replaced the fuel filter, and it seemed to work for awhile, then it did the same thing to my wife about a month and a half later. Replaced the plug wires and plugs, car responds great but after it heats up it drops a cylinder again. Once it cools off I can drive it like normal. No error codes show up on the computer. Kinda stuck as to what to do next.
Ryan
At this point, before doing anything else, you need to check the cat for blockage. If it was "red hot" it has probably collapsed inside and will need replacement before you can go any farther with the diagnosis.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
jobs50
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
At this point, before doing anything else, you need to check the cat for blockage. If it was "red hot" it has probably collapsed inside and will need replacement before you can go any farther with the diagnosis.

There are two cats on this car and the first one that was hot has been drilled and cleaned, leaving one cat intact.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
There are two cats on this car and the first one that was hot has been drilled and cleaned, leaving one cat intact.
Oh, another one of those that leaks out information as he see's fit. Good luck getting help.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:01 AM   #5
jobs50
CF Newbie

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Oh, another one of those that leaks out information as he see's fit. Good luck getting help.

Just today we had a bit more info to add, I started the car when it was right cold and the cylinder was not firing, so that eliminates the the heat issue, my dad and I also figued out it was cylinder # 1 'cuz we tried to start it with #2 plug wires off and it didnt go, then we took off #1's and it went just the same as when they were on, idling really hard. So I am not sure if I should go and look for a new DIS (distributerless ignition system) or does it have to do with the computer?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:20 AM   #6
Sonreir
CF Newbie

I think you should just get rid of it. No one should own a 4 cylinder mustang.
Sonreir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:30 AM   #7
jobs50
CF Newbie

Its fixed

Well the car is fixed, I got the DIS replaced and that solved my problems, no more misfires. Thanks for all your help....
Old 03-30-2004, 01:59 AM   #8
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well the car is fixed, I got the DIS replaced and that solved my problems, no more misfires. Thanks for all your help....

You found the problem with some troubleshooting.

I would still make sure the cat that is remaining does not become blocked. Running a car as long as you did with a dead cylinder pushes a lot of raw fuel into the exhaust system.

I would also be careful about drilling out cats. Technically, drilling out the cats is tampering with and disableing the emmission control equipment on a car which is a violation of Federal Law.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote