Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

more powerful engine without changing the exterior appearance?

I ordered a bmw 325cic which will be ready in a few weeks and I want to make the engine more powerful.

My friend told me I could get a new exhaust system, turbo charge the engine, um...he even said aligning all the spark plugs will add an extra 3-4 horsepower.

What reversible modifications or upgrades can I make to add more engine power?

I realize I might have to change the exhaust tips whatever I do, obviously, but I just don't want any visible changes other than that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...thanks!
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I ordered a bmw 325cic which will be ready in a few weeks and I want to make the engine more powerful.

My friend told me I could get a new exhaust system, turbo charge the engine, um...he even said aligning all the spark plugs will add an extra 3-4 horsepower.

I realize I might have to change the exhaust tips whatever I do, obviously, but I just don't want any visible changes other than that.

it depends if you want a boosted I6 or a N/A I6

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:

wait, exhaust tips???? they don't add HP. aligning spark plugs?? nope, maybe GAP them correctly. other than that: header, cat back, coil overs.
your problem is there are no "real" mods you can do without doing what you dont want to do.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Draining the indicator fluid reservoir will reduce weight as will a perforated exhaust pipe.

Seriously though, if you are really contemplating improving power output you need to troll some beemer forums to see how much money you are going to need.... for isntance, whacking a turbo on is not just a Meccano activity.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Bronxie

I meant that by adding engine power I will have to change the exhaust tips for bigger ones because it will require bigger ones, right?

My dealer did mention a software upgrade on the engine which basically just changes the fuel consumption or something like that, and I don't think I want that cause then it will get like 10mpg lol. He said something about "gofast" parts...made for BMWs or something.

Isn't there just a part you put on a part of the engine that connects each cylinder that will compress the air inside the cylinders?

Also about the spark plugs he said that if they are all facing the same direction it will add a couple hp.

Well, I will research some and find what can specifically be done to my model. The 325ci has a small engine (which I dislike) but if I could get it to be more powerful it would be like my dream car.

And the money isn't a problem thank goodness but obviously I wouldn't want to spend more than 5000 total or else it wouldn't really be worth it...I might have just gotten the 330 :\
Old 07-07-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
True_Brit
Has a new job!

the spark plugs will just increase performance (not hp) and make it more efficient (only a little bit).
the software is just a bigger cpu chip, it will increase fuel use but not as much as 10mpg i wouldnt think, have you tried go-faster stripes???

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.

Last edited by True_Brit : 07-07-2006 at 12:33 AM.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #7
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
the spark plugs will just increase performance (not hp) and make it more efficient (only a little bit).
the software is just a bigger cpu chip, it will increase fuel use but not as much as 10mpg i wouldnt think, have you tried go-faster stripes???

I don't know what those are, but I haven't tried anything. The car is still in the order process. I think it's in the first stage now as according to www.bmwusa.com's owner circle.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
I meant that by adding engine power I will have to change the exhaust tips for bigger ones because it will require bigger ones, right?

My dealer did mention a software upgrade on the engine which basically just changes the fuel consumption or something like that, and I don't think I want that cause then it will get like 10mpg lol. He said something about "gofast" parts...made for BMWs or something.

Isn't there just a part you put on a part of the engine that connects each cylinder that will compress the air inside the cylinders?

Also about the spark plugs he said that if they are all facing the same direction it will add a couple hp.
Well, I will research some and find what can specifically be done to my model. The 325ci has a small engine (which I dislike) but if I could get it to be more powerful it would be like my dream car.
And the money isn't a problem thank goodness but obviously I wouldn't want to spend more than 5000 total or else it wouldn't really be worth it...I might have just gotten the 330 :\

You talking a turbocharger or blower I presume? Not a simple bolt on, but doable.

Spark plugs tend to be a fixed in their orientation because of the machining of the head. Maybe a special head is required here.

And yes if money is no object get rid of what is essentially a car for an executive's wife and buy something with more performance out of the box.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Would you care to explain how changing to a different brand of sparkplug will increase performance? There is no doubt that a new plug will operate more efficiently than a worn one, but how will one brand work better than another? Remember before you respond, I know the answer.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:09 AM   #10
True_Brit
Has a new job!

oops, sorry, im only going by what ive been told (and remembering what ive seen on a back of a bosche spark plug box)

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
oops, sorry, im only going by what ive been told (and remembering what ive seen on a back of a bosche spark plug box)
Yeah, manufacturers advertising is ALWAYS very reliable.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

Chicken , but nice reverse double twist pike there TB. When you get something like a performance turbo you will notice some brands out perform others for the req'd duty. Brand loyalty is a big thing in the car world.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #13
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Would you care to explain how changing to a different brand of sparkplug will increase performance? There is no doubt that a new plug will operate more efficiently than a worn one, but how will one brand work better than another? Remember before you respond, I know the answer.

i think he's talking about indexing the spark plugs...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #14
Bronxie

I chose this car over the z4 because I tend to be the driver amongst my friends and this is slightly more versatile for those purposes.

I want a combination of luxury and performance...(which sounds pretty much like a BMW, right?) Not that BMW gives a ton of luxury, cause it doesn't.

Maybe I should have waited for the '07 which my dealer and other reliable websites said would have a retractable hardtop and thankfully, a bigger engine.

Can changing the exhaust system boost the engine power substantially?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
True_Brit
Has a new job!

itll boost it a little (i wont get corrected on this will i?)

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote: