Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #16
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooyoung225
ok...then allow me to start over.....

the car is a 1990 AWD talon. it has white smoke coming from the exhaust and from between the exhaust manifold and the head. the only reason it is coming from the manifold, is b/c it only has 3 studs holding it on at the moment. (i JUST found that out.) it does NOT smell like coolant, and it IS white. like stated before, it has been sitting for quite some time. is that enough info to start with?? let me know.
If the smoke is coming out that far upstream, whatever is burning is going through the combustion chamber unless you have GROSSLY leaking exhaust valve seals.

You need to pull the plugs and see what they're contaminated with and do a compression check while they're out. You also need to pay very close attention to the coolant because white smoke almost certainly has to be water. Pressure testing the cooling system would also be a good step. Another thing to check is for bubbles in the cooling system. Take off the cap, ensure the radiator is full and start the engine. If it blows water out, take off the head and start looking for your leak.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #17
Wally
I Know More Than You

Well that was like pulling teeth. So its got white smoke in the exhaust side only? Then apart from water it will probably be the turbine seal or leaking/worn exhaust valve stem seals/guides.

You can tell the difference between water vapour and oil vapour:- the water vapour will be wispy and generally dissipate within a few metres, while oil vapour will billow out in marshmellow clouds, hang around and envelop large tracts of forrest, suburbia and ecosystems.

FYI the bore binder (bore eyelet, blast ring) is the metal ferrule embedded in the head gasket core plate that seals the head chamber to the associated cylinder.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #18
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well that was like pulling teeth. So its got white smoke in the exhaust side only? Then apart from water it will probably be the turbine seal or leaking/worn exhaust valve stem seals/guides.

You can tell the difference between water vapour and oil vapour:- the water vapour will be wispy and generally dissipate within a few metres, while oil vapour will billow out in marshmellow clouds, hang around and envelop large tracts of forrest, suburbia and ecosystems.

FYI the bore binder (bore eyelet, blast ring) is the metal ferrule embedded in the head gasket core plate that seals the head chamber to the associated cylinder.
Unless they mount turbos differently down under, the turbine seal won't be causing smoke to come out between the head and the manifold.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #19
Wally
I Know More Than You

Actually it does. I know, because I removed a manifold about six months ago to isolate a similar smoking problem and when I put it back on to make sure the turbine seal was the culprit I didn't bother snugging it down. It really smoked on engine shutdown. I know where you're coming from though.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:07 AM   #20
Tooyoung225
CF Newbie

we are doing a compression check tommorrow. since the white smoke means it is water, then it still could be the fact that it sat for over 6 months...right? please, correct me if i'm wrong.
Tooyoung225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #21
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooyoung225
we are doing a compression check tommorrow. since the white smoke means it is water, then it still could be the fact that it sat for over 6 months...right? please, correct me if i'm wrong.
No no no no no NO! Did you read anything in this thread? If there is an accumulation of condensation causing it to smoke (steam actually), it'll burn off in short order.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #22
Tooyoung225
CF Newbie

ok...so as i understand it...it is most likely either the head gasket, or the turbine seals. i would probably go with the head gasket being the culprit because the turbo came from a perfectly running car.

ALSO, you mentioned cheking the radiator for bubbles...and to do this i take the radiator cap off and start the car? and it water comes out theres a leak? is that right?
Tooyoung225 is offline   Reply With Quote