Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
2001cavalier
CF Newbie

Shocks Shot?

Hey, Whenever I go throung like a pot-hole or over a bump I hear a really loud poping noise by the back passenger-side wheel. It is also very bumpy whenever you hit a small bump that you don't feel in most vehicals. My guess is that the shock is shot and I am just riding on the springs. Any Ideas?
2001cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cavalier
Hey, Whenever I go throung like a pot-hole or over a bump I hear a really loud poping noise by the back passenger-side wheel. It is also very bumpy whenever you hit a small bump that you don't feel in most vehicals. My guess is that the shock is shot and I am just riding on the springs. Any Ideas?
Newsflash. You're already riding on the springs. That's how the suspension is supposed to work. Shock absorbers do nothing more than dampen the action of the springs. Otherwise you may very well be correct in the rest of your assessment. How many miles does the car have on it? That in itself is a very good indication. Finally, you have struts on your car all the way around, not shocks.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
2001cavalier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Newsflash. You're already riding on the springs.
yea I know that...I said am I **JUST** riding on springs as in no shocks. Anyways, I have about 50,000 miles on it. -Appreciate the reply!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
yea I know that...I said am I **JUST** riding on springs as in no shocks. Anyways, I have about 50,000 miles on it. -Appreciate the reply!
You know that? Maybe I didn't make myself clear. YOU ARE JUST RIDING ON THE SPRINGS, THAT'S HOW YOUR SUSPENSION WORKS. Get it? Refresh my memory and tell me who said this just today.
Quote:
Hey, What's up? Just found this site, lol get ready for lots of questions bout my car, cause on a lot of stuff I'm pretty much clueless. -Thanks!
You by your own admission are clueless. I'm trying to teach you something but you're either too dumb or too hardheaded to learn.

At 50k miles your struts are in fact about due to be replaced, but... Unless the car has been heavily loaded on a regular basis or driven on extremely rough roads, the struts shouldn't be in bad enough shape to cause your problem. It looks to me like you need to get the car up in the air and see if you have a loose or damaged suspension or brake component. Or did you already know that too?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
2001cavalier
CF Newbie

Quote:
You by your own admission are clueless. I'm trying to teach you something but you're either too dumb or too hardheaded to learn.
Hmm....I appreciate the help but not the rude comments. I don't know your problem with me but, I guess my first post here I get slammed right away?

ADMIN PLEASE CLOSE AND DELETE THIS THREAD, Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Hmm....I appreciate the help but not the rude comments. I don't know your problem with me but, I guess my first post here I get slammed right away?

ADMIN PLEASE CLOSE AND DELETE THIS THREAD, Thanks!
1. It was not your first post. This was your first post. Ensuring your statements are factually correct makes you so much more credible.

2. I don't have a problem with you and you didn't get slammed right away. I attempted to educate you but you're unable or unwilling to recognise that. The problem begins when you believe that you already know something that by your own admission you don't. Why is it so hard for people to open their minds and absorb information?

3. Asking to have a thread deleted is a bitch's way out. To delete the thread would be to delete history. Except for your whining this is a useful and educational exchange. Get over your victim mentality and get with the program. If you want "nice" talk, leave here and join the I Love Barney forum. Have a nice day.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
2001cavalier
CF Newbie

Just quit acting like a whiney little kid and get your act together, end of discussion....Also, unless you have something good to say, please avoid the rest of my topics. I can see you have been here a long time, so I respect your knowledge on cars, but please cut out the "Newsflash" thing, just saying that offends me right away, it sounds like a whiney person that thinks they know everything.

Last edited by 2001cavalier : 07-19-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Just quit acting like a whiney little kid and get your act together, end of discussion....Also, unless you have something good to say, please avoid the rest of my topics. I can see you have been here a long time, so I respect your knowledge on cars, but please cut out the "Newsflash" thing, just saying that offends me right away, it sounds like a whiney person that thinks they know everything.
Newsflash #1. I don't claim to know everything, but I certainly know a lot. The only "whiney little kid" here is the one who is being given the opportunity to learn from my years of training and experience but choses not to. Just so there's no confusion, that means you.

Newsflash #2. You do not determine who takes part in what post. When you post on an open forum it's just that... Open for anyone who choses to respond or reply. You seem to be a thin skinned little Twink who can't take straight talk or accept the fact that when you enter a new community, it's YOU that has to comply with that community's norms. This is the community's norm, deal with it.

Newflash #3. I just couldn't help myself.

Newsflash, newsflash, newsflash.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #9
2001cavalier
CF Newbie

Ok, one thing I don't understand is how am I turning down a chance to learn? I mean, it's commmon sence it rides on the springs...So I said I know that...I said JUST on the springs as in no shocks as in the shocks are not working...I mean don't get me wrong, after all this feud I do still respect you knowledge, but I have a hard time respecting someone that when I say I know one thing imeidatly assumes I am a complete smartass.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:17 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ok, one thing I don't understand is how am I turning down a chance to learn? I mean, it's commmon sence it rides on the springs...So I said I know that...I said JUST on the springs as in no shocks as in the shocks are not working...I mean don't get me wrong, after all this feud I do still respect you knowledge, but I have a hard time respecting someone that when I say I know one thing imeidatly assumes I am a complete smartass.
You're right, it's all my fault. I was foolish enough to read what you wrote and assume that when you used words you meant what they said. But here you go and say it again because you refuse to get it. That's all the car will ever "ride on", JUST THE SPRINGS. The car doesn't ride on shocks, the car doesn't ride on struts, the car JUST RIDES ON THE SPRINGS. But of course you already know that because it's common sense, yet you continue to repeat your blather. Have it your way, don't learn, just think you're correct.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #11
DukenukemX
CF Newbie

Quote:
Could be they're shot but you don't know that. Just cause you feel bumps isn't the way you indicate if shocks have gone bad.

For example the springs actually absorb the bumps. It's the shocks/struts that absorb the stored kinetic energy in the springs. The idea is to prevent your car from bouncing all over the road once you hit the bump.

The reason you feel more bumps then other cars is because the springs on the Cavalier are just stiffer. Think of the bumps you feel as feedback to the driver.

I would try taking a look under the car or maybe try greasing the rubber bushings. If it continues then try taking it to a local shop. Though it probably won't do much good unless there's something actually broken on the car.

Since you have 50,000 miles it might not be such a bad idea to change them anyway. I recommend KYB struts/shocks since they're cheap and are pretty good OEM replacments. They're pretty cheap on tirerack.com .

Also if you haven't noticed nobody likes vwhobo. Took me a while to notice that he's this forums asshole. The fact he has so many posts just makes him the asshole of the year.

Like the great Maddox would say.

That's besides the point. What's important is that I'm always right about everything. If you disagree with anything I have to say, you are wrong. For example... I changed my mind, I can't think of an example. But trust me, I'm right.

Last edited by DukenukemX : 07-19-2006 at 07:38 AM.
DukenukemX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukenukemX
Could be they're shot but you don't know that. Just cause you feel bumps isn't the way you indicate if shocks have gone bad.

For example the springs actually absorb the bumps. It's the shocks/struts that absorb the stored kinetic energy in the springs. The idea is to prevent your car from bouncing all over the road once you hit the bump.

The reason you feel more bumps then other cars is because the springs on the Cavalier are just stiffer. Think of the bumps you feel as feedback to the driver.

I would try taking a look under the car or maybe try greasing the rubber bushings. If it continues then try taking it to a local shop. Though it probably won't do much good unless there's something actually broken on the car.

Since you have 50,000 miles it might not be such a bad idea to change them anyway. I recommend KYB struts/shocks since they're cheap and are pretty good OEM replacments. They're pretty cheap on tirerack.com .

Also if you haven't noticed nobody likes vwhobo. Took me a while to notice that he's this forums asshole. The fact he has so many posts just makes him the asshole of the year.

Like the great Maddox would say.

That's besides the point. What's important is that I'm always right about everything. If you disagree with anything I have to say, you are wrong. For example... I changed my mind, I can't think of an example. But trust me, I'm right.
You must be the forum's new village idiot. You do realize that you just reworded what I've already told him, don't you? You also realize that;

1. Just because you don't like me doesn't mean nobody does. Your all or nothing way of thinking diplays a tremendous inability to... think. And;

2. I don't care who likes or dislikes me. Never did, never will. That is the playground of emotionally crippled little fellas like you. By the way...

3. You are obviously a great intellect. Calling me an asshole is so very original. You probably looked at the user title under my screen name and reworded that as well. You're quite the legend in your own mind, aren't you Twinkie?

Time for you to run along and log onto your favorite forum, iamacompleteandutterwasteofoxygen.com. Have a nice day.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukenukemX
Another ignorant n00b then......

I think you'll find that it's mainly little idiots like yourself, for example, who have an ongoing problem with hobo, mainly because he has a way of showing YOU the error of your ways....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
2001cavalier
CF Newbie

Quote:
I think you'll find that it's mainly little idiots like yourself, for example, who have an ongoing problem with hobo, mainly because he has a way of showing YOU the error of your ways...

That's my definition of an asshole, a person that can only find fault of others. And, DukenukemX I do appreciate your reply!
Old 07-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
That's my definition of an asshole, a person that can only find fault of others. And, DukenukemX I do appreciate your reply!
Then you should certainly appriciate mine because every bit of information he gave you had already been covered. Oh wait. You just appreciate it more from him because he's an ignorant little twat like you. Birds of a feather and all that.