Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

Nonworking stereo.

I bought a 94 Saturn SC2 recently and the radio doesnt work in the car. There is an aftermarket cd changer in the back so I know the radio worked before. I problem is there is no power at all to the radio and because of this I cant tell if the cd changer also works. Can someone help me? I dont know what other information I can give, but if you ask, I can tell you what I know. I appreciate any help.

thanks,

Al
oxidizer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:10 AM   #2
hitchhiker
CF Newbie

hey al,

Perhaps i missing something. You said the radio doesn't have any power.
It has to get power from somewhere, so replacing a fuse would be the obvious answer. Is it an aftermarket radio?

Sometimes aftermarket will have an inline fuse as well as one in the fuse box.
hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 AM   #3
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

Thanks hitch for the reply. To tell you the truth, I know a lot about cars. But when it comes to the stereo.. I know nothing. It seems as if the radio gets/has no power what so ever. The clock on it does not come on at all. There is a cd changer in the back.. an older model. The cd changer is controlled by a corded remote that also has no power. I was told by a friend that the cd changer is powered by the radio. If the radio has no power, the cd changer doesnt work, so I cant tell if it works. I tried opening it up and looking through all the wires... It looked like a mess inside and I could tell it was one of those "do it your self" projects. I am pasting some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhiker
hey al,

Perhaps i missing something. You said the radio doesn't have any power.
It has to get power from somewhere, so replacing a fuse would be the obvious answer. Is it an aftermarket radio?

Sometimes aftermarket will have an inline fuse as well as one in the fuse box.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 AM   #5
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

where can i buy fuses (if it is the fuse)
Old 03-28-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Any motoring shop should sell fuses...if it's a certain type of fuse you will be best of getting it through an electrical retailer, anyway, I thought you knew alot about cars?, fuses are the easiest items to find!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Any motoring shop should sell fuses...if it's a certain type of fuse you will be best of getting it through an electrical retailer, anyway, I thought you knew alot about cars?, fuses are the easiest items to find!
I have a strong suspicion about this individual because first he says;

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxidizer2k
To tell you the truth, I know a lot about cars.
That always makes me sit up and listen. Then he comes up with a jewel like this:

Quote:
where can i buy fuses (if it is the fuse)
Let's be honest, wouldn't someone who knows alot about cars know where to buy fuses? On top of that we find out;

Quote:
It seems as if the radio gets/has no power what so ever.
Anyone who knows about cars knows it would take less time to check for power with a test light than it does to type a post. My instinct says this post is going to go nowhere, but y'all have fun anyway.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:50 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I did wonder vw, I looked long and hard at those pics to see if there was some really strange fuse pictured somewhere that nobody has ever seen before...I could not find one

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #10
lectroid
0000?

NUF SAID
Old 03-29-2004, 01:46 AM   #11
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

I know in terms of performance... quality... reliablity.. pricing.. andsome engine details... stuff like that.. but no clue about the electrical things... as for the fuses, i didnt know if id have to go to saturn or autozone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Old 03-29-2004, 01:48 AM   #12
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I have a strong suspicion about this individual because first he says;

That always makes me sit up and listen. Then he comes up with a jewel like this:

Let's be honest, wouldn't someone who knows alot about cars know where to buy fuses? On top of that we find out;

Anyone who knows about cars knows it would take less time to check for power with a test light than it does to type a post. My instinct says this post is going to go nowhere, but y'all have fun anyway.

Like i said, I know a lot.. but only to a certain extent. Besides, I just got this car three days ago (saturn). I didnt know I I would need a special fuse for the radio. And your suposed to help be, not flame...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:34 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Like i said, I know a lot.. but only to a certain extent.
Okay, that makes perfect sense to me. You know alot but only to a certain extent.

Quote:
Besides, I just got this car three days ago (saturn). I didnt know I I would need a special fuse for the radio. And your suposed to help be, not flame...
I'm SUPPOSED to help you. Funny, I don't remember reading that in the users agreement. Why am I SUPPOSED to help you,what have you ever done for me or to contribute to this forum?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-29-2004, 02:42 AM   #14
oxidizer2k
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay, that makes perfect sense to me. You know alot but only to a certain extent.

I'm SUPPOSED to help you. Funny, I don't remember reading that in the users agreement. Why am I SUPPOSED to help you,what have you ever done for me or to contribute to this forum?

Yeah, because I asked if anyone knows... if you dont know.. then dont help. Dont be rude. I just joined this forum, so havent done anything yet. And just because your man broke up with you, you dont need to be angry all the time.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:50 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yeah, because I asked if anyone knows... if you dont know.. then dont help. Dont be rude. I just joined this forum, so havent done anything yet. And just because your man broke up with you, you dont need to be angry all the time.
Your attempt to be nasty to me does not cover for the fact that you are obviously an idiot. You are the one who claims to "know alot about cars" then displays the knowledge of my grandmother. Perhaps if you weren't guilty of false advertising and were honest with the people you expect help from, you could become a productive member of this onlne community. Until such time you will simply be considered cyber trash.

By the way, I don't share your sexual inclination. Perhaps if you were more concerned with your car instead of your homosexual fantasies, you would get it repaired quicker.