Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #46
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
The bad part is that even the 3.2l quattro are slower than the Z4 si.
Not...quite...true...

The new Audi TT 3.2 Quattro is pretty fast.
Faster than your Boxster
Faster than the Cayman
Faster than the Z4si

.............Audi TT 3.2 Quattro............BMW Z4si...............Porsche Cayman
Base Price:....$40,000.......................$40,795........ .............$49,400
Power:..........250 bhp.......................255 bhp.....................245 bhp
0-60:............5.1 sec........................5.5 sec......................5.3 sec
1/4 mile:.......13.7 sec......................14.0 sec.....................13.9 sec
Skidpad:......... .93g........................... .93g......................... .90g

On the track during the Road and Track test, they said:
...the TT gets down the road quicker and easier than the Cayman. Try as it might, he Cayman can't keep up...
Advantage, Quattro.

And....someone trying to be me?
My Life, My Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #47
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Life, My Era
Not...quite...true...

Faster than your Boxster
Faster than the Cayman
Faster than the Z4si

.............Audi TT 3.2 Quattro............BMW Z4si...............Porsche Cayman
Base Price:....$40,000.......................$40,795........ .............$49,400
Power:..........250 bhp.......................255 bhp.....................245 bhp
0-60:............5.1 sec........................5.5 sec......................5.3 sec
1/4 mile:.......13.7 sec......................14.0 sec.....................13.9 sec
Skidpad:......... .93g........................... .93g......................... .90g

...the TT gets down the road quicker and easier than the Cayman. Try as it might, he Cayman can't keep up...
Advantage, Quattro.

And....someone trying to be me?
glad you pointed it out, i was trying to find somethig alike but gave up in the end!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #48
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Not...quite...true...

Faster than your Boxster
Faster than the Cayman
Faster than the Z4si

Advantage, Quattro.

1. A lot of things are faster than my boxster. If I wanted speed I'd get a shelby gt500 (lol like I'd ever want one of those)

2. I've checked many articles that all say it's 0-60 is around 5.9, and this makes sense, considering the older TT with the SAME engine, boasted that 0-60 time.

Yep...most places say about 5.5-5.7.

Think your info is way off.

Actually I know it's way off because you are saying the cayman is 0-60 in 5.3...when it's really like 5.8, even porscheusa.com says that. 5.3 is territory for the cayman S

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.

Last edited by Bronxie : 12-07-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #49
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
1. A lot of things are faster than my boxster. If I wanted speed I'd get a shelby gt500 (lol like I'd ever want one of those)

2. I've checked many articles that all say it's 0-60 is around 5.9, and this makes sense, considering the older TT with the SAME engine, boasted that 0-60 time.

Actually I know it's way off because you are saying the cayman is 0-60 in 5.3...when it's really like 5.8, even porscheusa.com says that. 5.3 is territory for the cayman S
oh well, im not bothered with the exact 0-60 time aslong as it does near enough the same as the competitors and it moves!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:24 AM   #50
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:

Porsche commonly underestimates its vehicles. Before magazine performance tests were given, Porsche estimated the Carrera GT would do 0-60 in about 4 seconds...yeah sure.

Check the most recent issue of Road and Track. Road and Track is notorious for not powershifting or using any other abusive methods to achieve a faster time, so I have no doubt about the TT's acceleration. Check it out. Audi has adjusted the weight distribution and the AWD system...probably why the new TT was able to achieve faster times with the similar engine.

And I wasn't saying the TT was superior to your Porsche because of its acceleration advantage. I was just pointing things out...bitch.

Last edited by My Life, My Era : 12-08-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #51
Bronxie

Quote:
Porsche commonly underestimates its vehicles. Before magazine performance tests were given, Porsche estimated the Carrera GT would do 0-60 in about 4 seconds...yeah sure.

Check the most recent issue of Road and Track. Road and Track is notorious for not powershifting or using any other abusive methods to achieve a faster time, so I have no doubt about the TT's acceleration. Check it out. Audi has adjusted the weight distribution and the AWD system...probably why the new TT was able to achieve faster times with the similar engine.

And I wasn't saying the TT was superior to your Porsche because of its acceleration advantage. I was just pointing things out...bitch.

Well, if most places are usng powershifting then it eliminates the variable doesn't it? It only becomes a variable if some places do and some don't.

Even if the porsche times are off which I don't see why they would be considering porsche has nothing to hide, the cayman would not be that fast, that's just too fast. My car has the same engine as the cayman and weighs less (the 06 makes 5hp less actually) and it doesn't go that fast or nearly that fast.

Porsche weight distribution in the boxster is near perfect

Old 12-13-2006, 02:04 AM   #52
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:
Well, if most places are using powershifting then it eliminates the variable doesn't it? It only becomes a variable if some places do and some don't.
I don't know what you're getting at, but let me break it down for you since you don't know crap.

Road and Track does not powershift or use any other abusive methods to increase acceleration times. Therefore, performance numbers quoted by Road and Track are reliable and considered to be achievable.

Power-Shifting: A method of shifting used with manual transmissions to increase acceleration.
The method relies on keeping the engine at full throttle while balancing the clutch pedal to where the clutch is engaged but shifting is possible. Then at the desired shift point (redline or earlier), the gear is shifted to the next higher gear without fully disengaging the clutch. Using this method can severely damage the transmission.
<-----Road and Track doesn't do this, other magazines may...you never know with them.

Quote:
Even if the porsche times are off which I don't see why they would be considering porsche has nothing to hide...
Porsche has always been very conservative with its performance figures. Duh! Almost every dope interested in Porsche knows that. You're a Porsche owner, research the brand. If you review what Porsche predicts of their cars and what the cars actually do, you'll notice that Porsches 0-60 times are always slower than what is achieved in a road test of their vehicle.

Quote:
...the cayman would not be that fast, that's just too fast. My car has the same engine as the cayman and weighs less (the 06 makes 5hp less actually) and it doesn't go that fast or nearly that fast.
I know, you don't know crap about cars. But that's hardly an excuse for the arrogant response and the way you ignored one of the facts of life: RESULTS WILL VARY.

The Cayman and your Boxster may carry the same engine, but the Cayman is much more stiff than your Boxster. Maybe this causes the increase in acceleration over the Boxster? Either way, are you calling me a liar? Calling Road and Track a liar? Why would Road and Track post wrong performance numbers? You've changed Bronxie, you didn't used to be such a bitch.

The Cayman hasn't been tested much, but the two test so far have similar 0-60 figures.

Car and Driver: Cayman 0-60: 5.5 seconds
Road and Track: Cayman 0-60: 5.3 seconds

You may not be able to comprehend variance and you clearly cannot grasp the fact that acceleration is determined by more than just weight and engine output.

....but maybe the Cayman's engine is underrated. Porsche underrated the horsepower of the Carrera GT.

Last edited by My Life, My Era : 12-13-2006 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 AM   #53
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
The Cayman and your Boxster may carry the same engine, but the Cayman is much more stiff than your Boxster. Maybe this causes the increase in acceleration over the Boxster? Either way, are you calling me a liar?
The 1st and 2nd gears in the Cayman are shorter than that of the Boxster.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #54
Bronxie

Quote:
I don't know what you're getting at, but let me break it down for you since you don't know crap.

Road and Track does not powershift or use any other abusive methods to increase acceleration times. Therefore, performance numbers quoted by Road and Track are reliable and considered to be achievable.

Power-Shifting: A method of shifting used with manual transmissions to increase acceleration.
The method relies on keeping the engine at full throttle while balancing the clutch pedal to where the clutch is engaged but shifting is possible. Then at the desired shift point (redline or earlier), the gear is shifted to the next higher gear without fully disengaging the clutch. Using this method can severely damage the transmission.
<-----Road and Track doesn't do this, other magazines may...you never know with them.

Porsche has always been very conservative with its performance figures. Duh! Almost every dope interested in Porsche knows that. You're a Porsche owner, research the brand. If you review what Porsche predicts of their cars and what the cars actually do, you'll notice that Porsches 0-60 times are always slower than what is achieved in a road test of their vehicle.

I know, you don't know crap about cars. But that's hardly an excuse for the arrogant response and the way you ignored one of the facts of life: RESULTS WILL VARY.

The Cayman and your Boxster may carry the same engine, but the Cayman is much more stiff than your Boxster. Maybe this causes the increase in acceleration over the Boxster? Either way, are you calling me a liar? Calling Road and Track a liar? Why would Road and Track post wrong performance numbers? You've changed Bronxie, you didn't used to be such a bitch.

The Cayman hasn't been tested much, but the two test so far have similar 0-60 figures.

Car and Driver: Cayman 0-60: 5.5 seconds
Road and Track: Cayman 0-60: 5.3 seconds

You may not be able to comprehend variance and you clearly cannot grasp the fact that acceleration is determined by more than just weight and engine output.

....but maybe the Cayman's engine is underrated. Porsche underrated the horsepower of the Carrera GT.

Why so snappy? I know what powershifting is, I was saying that if everyone else does it, then you can take their times for what they are, because that variable is thereby eliminated. Right or wrong?

I admitted Porsche is conservative, but that time you gave for the cayman was too fast even for conservatives. I don't just check porsche site for info. I use edmunds.com a lot and their numbers for it, which they made a video of, weren't even that fast.

I am not saying you're a liar. Chill a lil'.

I had reasonable doubts as to your info. being accurate, I mean shit, it's not like I LOSE anything if you are right, if anything it just means my car is faster than it is claimed to be, which is a good thing.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #55
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:
Chill a lil'.
Chill? I am the definition of chill. I use colors to clarify my speech, not to define my tone. I am, and will always be.......relaxed

Quote:
If you are right, if anything it just means my car is faster than it is claimed to be, which is a good thing.
You don't drive a Cayman. You drive a Boxster. Maybe you missed these:

Quote:
...acceleration is determined by more than weight and engine output...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
The 1st and 2nd gears in the Cayman are shorter than that of the Boxster.
Your Boxster is as quick as its performance tests proved it to be, but not as quick as the performance test proved for the Cayman.

Cayman does not equal Boxster.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #56
Bronxie

Now you're just being a dumb ass.

You said that, "PORSCHE IS KNOWN FOR UNDER-RATING THEIR VEHICLES",

hence, I responded, "if you are right, then that only means it is better for me."

I wasn't referring to what you were saying specifically about the cayman.

CONTRADICTION: So the performance tests of my car are accurate, YET the ones the cayman are NOT accurate because porsche supposedly is conservative with their tests. Nice.

Thanks for making it obvious that you're the real bitch in this discussion. As if there was any doubt

Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #57
My Life, My Era
Banned

Quote:
You said that, "PORSCHE IS KNOWN FOR UNDER-RATING THEIR VEHICLES"
Yes, and you previously said that you agreed. Sorry I misunderstood your response. My thinking was that since you previously agreed to this....nevermind...wasting my time on this motherf*cka.

Quote:
CONTRADICTION: So the performance tests of my car are accurate, YET the ones the cayman are NOT accurate because porsche supposedly is conservative with their tests. Nice.

Thanks for making it obvious that you're the real pimp in this discussion. As if there was any doubt
Dude. No.

My opinion was that the performance test performed AWAY FROM PORSCHE are accurate.

Hence the 5.3-5.5 achieved by the magazines are accurate for the Cayman and the 5.9-6.3 achieved by the magazines are accurate for the Boxster.