Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #31
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I know mods can void warranties. Credible companies make sure their parts do not void warranties.

Your warranty can only be voided for few reasons. Most of the time it is just your warranty claim that has been denied. The rest of your warranty still remains in effect. Just because you put an exhaust on your car does not mean they won't replace your transmission if it goes faulty. It would have to be PROVEN, that said modifications caused unnecessary abuse to the part. Anyone who tells you your transmission broke because you put an exhaust or intake on your car and they won't cover it should promptly be reported to the proper agency.

Companies who have enough money to appease the larger corporations that make vehicles produce products that do not void warranties. These companies are normally directly associated with said automobile manufacturer.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #32
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Dang DSMer beat me to it. ^

Quote:
Spend good money on filters, not in the tube itself.
This isnt always good advice DSMer sometimes it is neccesary to spend some money on the "tube" also . Nowadays alot of CAIs, especially for imports, are just as you say a "tube" but some cars where space is tight or for other reasons sometimes these "tube" intakes arent the best option but intakes that have been optimized for the bends in the intake tract and space availabe are better.
For Example LT1 F-body.
this intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-C...QQcmdZViewItem
will be outperformed by this intake. And they both have K&N filters
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...QQcmdZViewItem

I think sometimes it is neccesary to spend a lil extra money for better quality parts and peace of mind, but this is not to be confused with wastelessly and ignorantly spending money.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #33
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

I meant the credible companies will disclaim that this product does not void warranty, and if it does, then I am protected under the statute of fraud under at least 2 different accounts.

I found this performance upgrade on

http://www.imagineauto.com/boxster02.htm

That gives an ECU flash and an intake for 1400, which sounds like it's excessive for what they're actually doing. On top of that, I have to physically send them my ECU. At least I know an ECU upgrade will get me guaranteed power gains, but I don't know if it's worth it for a mere software job.

I tried to find places that make custom exhaust systems but most places that say "custom exhaust" don't actually make them, they just HAVE them in stock.

Appreciate everyones' help.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #34
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Dang DSMer beat me to it. ^

This isnt always good advice DSMer sometimes it is neccesary to spend some money on the "tube" also . Nowadays alot of CAIs, especially for imports, are just as you say a "tube" but some cars where space is tight or for other reasons sometimes these "tube" intakes arent the best option but intakes that have been optimized for the bends in the intake tract and space availabe are better.
For Example LT1 F-body.
this intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-C...QQcmdZViewItem
will be outperformed by this intake. And they both have K&N filters
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-F...QQcmdZViewItem

I think sometimes it is neccesary to spend a lil extra money for better quality parts and peace of mind, but this is not to be confused with wastelessly and ignorantly spending money.

The power gain between those two are so negligent its not really that big of a deal. Unless the intake tubing itself is that absurdly designed, then its not going to impact the performance greatly. I'm not debating extra money for quality parts and performance, but spending absurd amounts of money on an intake is a waste.

Save the money for where it counts, because from a financial standpoint it doesn't make much sense to spend $250 for an intake that will give you 5HP vs a $60 intake that will give you 3HP. If you can't have peace of mind with a tube unless you spend $200+ dollars on it then one should evaluate their stand on engines and how they work.
Quote:
I meant the credible companies will disclaim that this product does not void warranty, and if it does, then I am protected under the statute of fraud under at least 2 different accounts.

That doesn't mean anything. Just because someone sells you something that they say won't void a specific part of your warranty does not mean that holds them liable. Its up the consumer to read the contract thoroughly. For further note, messing with your ECU could definitely result in some unwillingness on Porsche's behalf. They don't want to fix your vehicle at their cost and if they can find a way out of it they will. Altering an ECU can have an impact on just about everything mechanical in your car, thus meaning anything mechanical breaking would more that likely not be covered if they discovered that your ECU was altered.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #35
Bronxie

Negatory, DSMer. Statute of fraud clearly states otherwise.

I will get out my Business-Law notes and post the specifics if you like. You can't give faulty information that A. you know is faulty or B. causes HARM. (meaning I get screwed)

Granted, it is for the state of NY but I am sure it is a universal concept.

Anyways, I'm still undecided on all this... I'm not sure what route to take to reach my objective.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #36
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
Negatory, DSMer. Statute of fraud clearly states otherwise.

I will get out my Business-Law notes and post the specifics if you like. You can't give faulty information that A. you know is faulty or B. causes HARM. (meaning I get screwed)

Granted, it is for the state of NY but I am sure it is a universal concept.

Anyways, I'm still undecided on all this... I'm not sure what route to take to reach my objective.

I can assure you that suing a 3rd party company on breach of contract for a written agreement with a non-related 2nd party would not only be a waste of your time, but a futile attempt.

Automotive performance companies sell items all the time boasting claims of its reliability and performance output. There are also many laws protecting these companies. This is why you can't sue Greddy if one of their turbos blows your engine and your current warranty won't cover it. Have you ever read the disclaimer on some of these sites?

Quote:
Disclaimer

Every effort has been made to insure the accuracy of the information contained on this website, however, Performance Company A accepts no responsibility for typographical or informational errors or omissions. Prices, applications, product specifications and/or part numbers are subject to change without notice

Some products listed are legal for sale or use in CA only on vehicles which may never be driven on a public highway. Parts with a CARB EO# are legal in all 50 states, California included, and are designed for pollution controlled vehicles. Check your state and local laws regarding the use of any performance products.

For warranty information on a specific product line, contact your local dealer or Performance Company A. Performance Company A is not responsible for any incidental or consequential damages.

Ignorance is never an excuse to the law and you should never take the word of an unrelated business about the laws and contracts of another business. This is just common sense, don't be naive. These companies don't stay in business by giving away money.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #37
Bronxie

I wouldn't bother with it anyways, my time is not worth the money I would be fighting for.

To prove all this and take it to a court is not worth anyone's time.

I believe some warranties state that if a product is dealer installed, it's fair game.

I'm gonna check my warranty later tonight.

Last edited by Bronxie : 12-19-2006 at 04:29 PM.