Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
BryanD
CF Newbie

'03 Pontiac GrandAm GT

Need help....when the car has been running for a while and is heated, where should the temperature gauge needle be? Although the needle has not reached the RED part of the gauge, I can still smell hot coolant once I have stopped the running the car. Has anyone had this problem?
BryanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanD
Need help....when the car has been running for a while and is heated, where should the temperature gauge needle be? Although the needle has not reached the RED part of the gauge, I can still smell hot coolant once I have stopped the running the car. Has anyone had this problem?
Read the bright red text on the board description!

I'll move this for you though, as it's a pet hate of mine when things are posted in the wrong place, especially when the instructions couldn't be much clearer!

All cars vary, the average possitioning of the needle should ideally be half way up, but it derpends on factors such as whether you're moving, or stuck in traffic etc

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 01-30-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
greg985
CF Newbie

half way

it should be around half way when you are driving normally. Have you checked to see if you need more coolaint? See if it is still bright green

greg985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg985
it should be around half way when you are driving normally. Have you checked to see if you need more coolaint? See if it is still bright green
It depends on if the engine gets cooler than normal with natural air, through the radiator grille. If the natural air flows through alot, then the engine will naturally remain at a cooler temperature when driving normally.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg985
How about we try this. Don't even attempt to "help" or give "advice" when you yourself don't have a clue. Bright green coolant in an '03 Grand Am? When did YOU flush and refill the system with the wrong anti-freeze, or is GM using e new colored Dex-Cool? Even the new "universal" Dex-Cool is yellow.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
It depends on if the engine gets cooler than normal with natural air, through the radiator grille. If the natural air flows through alot, then the engine will naturally remain at a cooler temperature when driving normally.
Really? Are you sure? Maybe it's time for Cliffy to Google up some information on thermostats and what their purpose is. Let me know when you find the answer. You'll be graded.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 01-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Really? Are you sure? Maybe it's time for Cliffy to Google up some information on thermostats and what their purpose is. Let me know when you find the answer. You'll be graded.
I was speaking from experience. I've had several cars that act differently under 'normal' driving conditions. Maybe it's not how it should be, but I found that if a substantial amount of air is flowing through the radiator grille, that alone cools the engine sufficiently. Only when you enter traffic etc, would the temperature rise. I dunno, maybe it isn't supposed to be like that, I just assumed that was the case given the size of some radiator grilles, lol. After doing some research, I can see the theory behind this being inaccurate...My mistake. So a thermostat should maintain the desired temperature, regardless of the situation and driving conditions, not mainly at idle temps?

Last edited by Cliffy : 01-30-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I was speaking from experience. I've had several cars that act differently under 'normal' driving conditions. Maybe it's not how it should be, but I found that if a substantial amount of air is flowing through the radiator grille, that alone cools the engine sufficiently. Only when you enter traffic etc, would the temperature rise. I dunno, maybe it isn't supposed to be like that, I just assumed that was the case given the size of some radiator grilles, lol. After doing some research, I can see the theory behind this being inaccurate...My mistake. So a thermostat should maintain the desired temperature, regardless of the situation and driving conditions?
"F" for being defensive and tap dancing.

"D" for not doing your homework and answering a question with another question.

Would you like one more try?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
"F" for being defensive and tap dancing.

"D" for not doing your homework and answering a question with another question.

Would you like one more try?
Ok. The thermostat regains the desired temperature of the engine, regardless of what conditions it's under. If this isn't the case, the thermostat is faulty.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ok. The thermostat regains the desired temperature of the engine, regardless of what conditions it's under. If this isn't the case, the thermostat is faulty.
I don't understand what you mean by "regains", but I still think you're only partially correct. The jury is out until I learn your modern English.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by "regains", but I still think you're only partially correct. The jury is out until I learn your modern English.
Maybe not the best use of terminology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary.com
To recover possession of; get back again: regain one's strength. See Synonyms at recover.
To manage to reach again: regained the summit.

I really couldn't think of a better word to use, lol...Ok, the Thermostat controls the temperature of the engine so that it stays the same at all times...

Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #12
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Depends on a number of things, one of which is what you mean by "hot".

Does it smell burned, or do you just get a strong coolant smell? It tends to have an acrid odor when it's burned, I discovered this firsthand today.

Do you notice any steam when you open the hood? If so, notice which side of the engine it came from?

Do you seem to be loosing a lot of coolant? Or any?

May help to know also where the engine is running at temp wise, most plant themselves right at or just below the middle of the gauge under normal operating temperatures.