Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2004, 04:09 PM   #46
79-Cheyenne
CF Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novaleigh
Well I know from your description that the car has been driven through a puddle and now goes click. Because of the fact that it was run through what seem to be a fairly deep puddle, as Cliffy said it could be hydraulically locked. The first thing to do is use a socket and large ratchet to try and turn the engine over. If it doesn't turn, the next step is to remove the sparkplugs and try it again. If it's hydro locked this will push the water out of the cylinders. While you have the plugs out, go ahead and spin the engine over with the starter. Then put the plugs back in and start it up.

If the engine turns freely when you first try moving it with the ratchet, come back, let us know and we'll go to chapter two.

Well, I have let everything (the plugs and the distributer cap, wires etc) dry and it still wont start. Other then that, I dont think that I am going to try to fix it myself. It is not my car and I dont like "fixing" other peoples stuff when I dont really know what I am doing. But I wanted to be informed before I went to the mechanic. They have a really bad rep for ripping people off in this city. However, if there is something really simple I could do, I could give it a shot. I just dont want to triple the price of the mechanic, cause I tried to fix it myself.
-Nova[/quote]

-I had the same click in my sister's 98 toyota, if you've removed the distributor and all the plugs i'd suggest maybe taking a look at the starter, it worked on her toyota hope i was some help
79-Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #47
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

All these misc. postings could have been erradicated by one posting:

CLICK CLICK CLICK and all of a sudden we have a hydrolock? I don't think so. Cliffy hit it on the head. You have gotten something wet, solenoid and/or starter maybe? Why don't we also look at what caused the car to shut off to begin with and OH MY, now we have a possible multi-faceted issue don't we? Maybe sometime more happened!

FACT: going 50mph through water a foot deep puddle is about the stupidest thing anyone with any vehicle could do. Well one of the stupidest things. Nevermind the mechanical side of it with regard to the car's health, Gee, let's think about the physics involved. A foot deep of water at that speed will pick the car up off of the surface of the road and hydroplane it so badly that there could easily be a possible loss of control. It sure would suck to flip or lose control all because the person behind the wheel is a complete idiot with a total disregard for his wife and their 7 year old now wouldn't it. Also if the windshield was to temporarily block visibility because of the sheet of water across it such that you run into something or someone walking, that would suck to be responsible for their serious injury/loss of life wouldn't it. I think if you want to drive through water, get a four wheel drive off-road vehicle and go do it in the woods where the variables that cannot be controlled are limited.
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #48
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Lets see here

I think vwhobo wanted to make sure since the car had been in the water the there was nothing more serious than a starter, "That's why you have to diagnose in a logical order. If it's not the starter and it's hydro locked you'll do more damage by trying to push start it. That's why I told you the first thing to do is check to see if the engine turns over by hand. I was working on the assumption your car was an automatic. I had to assume because you didn't tell us. That doesn't matter, don't push start until you know for sure the engine isn't locked.", (reply 16)

1. I think novaleigh figured out enough to know there may have been some water in the engine , "Alright, I did all that. I took the spark plugs out, only when I took the boots off, the plugs were about 8 inches down these little holes. So when I turned the engine over with the ratchet, about an eighth of an inch of water is sitting there now. So what I did was put a peice of paper towel over the holes so crap doesnt fall down in there and am letting it evaporate. I cant think of any other way to soak it up. I also took the filter out, and it is SOAKED. So that is drying too." (reply #23).

I think several of us suggested once novaleigh gets the water issue reconciled, how to approach the starter/battery issue, step 1 check the battery "So it has trouble turning over? this may sound silly but, is the battery charged?" (reply #26), and step 2 ask if she needed help diagnosing the starter (I am familiar with the Nissan 2.5 L since I own a 1999) "Since we can crank the engine by hand, its time to chase down the electrical gremlins. Begin with what Cliffy said first - check and see if the battery has a full charge. Little other trouble shooting of electrical issues can be done without the battery being charged. Once the battery is charged, there are a couple of checks you can make to determine if the solenoid needs to be replaced of if the starter is bad. In the US, a starter solenoid for a 1994 Altima is about $40, a starter is about $130 plus installation if someone else does the work" (reply 28)

Folks made a good decision to use a professional mechanic if they were not comfortable with doing the work, "Well, I have let everything (the plugs and the distributer cap, wires etc) dry and it still wont start. Other then that, I dont think that I am going to try to fix it myself. It is not my car and I dont like "fixing" other peoples stuff when I dont really know what I am doing. But I wanted to be informed before I went to the mechanic. They have a really bad rep for ripping people off in this city. However, if there is something really simple I could do, I could give it a shot. I just dont want to triple the price of the mechanic, cause I tried to fix it myself." (reply 46)

I would rather help an experienced mechanic person walk through a problem logically in a forum like this than pull a guess out of my hind parts and cause someone to really mess-up (i.e trying to compress water in an engine when the laws of physics says water does not compress)
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote