Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Shift4
CF Newbie

Incident w/ undercover cop - am I in the wrong here?

Hey, alright, im a tad concerned here. I was driving home on my favorite twisty road and had driven slow the whole ride home so I was opening it up a bit. I wasnt driving TOO fast, maybe 45-50 around the fairly wide turns in what I believe was a 35 (MIGHT have been a 45 but I think its 35). Well, anyway, the flow of traffic on this road after the 3 turns (it straightens out after the turns I was on) that I was on is about 45 and no-one ever gets stopped for doing 45 there. But, I was doing 45 on one of the turns and, whatdya know, an undercover cop drives by in the opposite lane (dont know what model car it was but it was NOT the normal crown vic - maybe a taurus?) and right before he passes me, he puts on his lights. I got pretty nervous (never been pulled over before - only had my license for like 2 weeks) and I slowed WAY down. Idled about 15 mph for the remaining 500 or more yards of the road. It lets off into a neighborhood after this and I pulled off into a driveway to wait becuase I didnt want to run obviously. So, I sat and waited for at least a full minute (not a hard road to turn around on and there wasnt really any traffic around him preventing him from doing so) but the undercover cop didnt seem to be coming back so I backed out of the driveway and drove home - Am I in the wrong here? Are flashing lights like a common "Slow down" type thing? or what? Maybe I left to soon? Whatdya think? My car is pretty recognizable (mazdaspeed protege) so I dont wanna get stopped again by him and have him say "evading law enforcement" when i actually DID stop and wait. . .
Shift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

If he wanted to get you, he would have gotten you IMHO. The way I see it is that if he doesn't come up behind you with his lights on you don't really have anything to worry about evasion-wise. Also, I'm pretty sure they can't just pull over a car later if they don't know who was driving it when it broke a law or something, but they may just be if a cop tags you like in a speed trap and isn't in a car (don't quote me on this--may not be correct). I've seen plenty of cops just flash their lights to get someone to slow down and then not do anything. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Also, if you are going with the flow of the traffic and aren't racing with them, you most likely won't get pulled over.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
Shift4
CF Newbie

yeah, i agree. . . just kinda wanted to see if everyone else agreed with me. . . oh, also, I didnt really clarify - 45 is the flow of trafic for the straight part of that road but on the turns, people generally do about 30-40 on them - theyre moderately sharp turns and unless you were in a hurry or a driving enthusiast you wouldnt really go over 35 on them. I fall into the category of driving enthusiast - this is why he flashed, it wasnt quite with the flow of traffic =P. . . but u think im alright as far as not waiting longer / turning around? Honestly, who would turn AROUND to follow a COP that flashed at them. . .
Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
yeah, i agree. . . just kinda wanted to see if everyone else agreed with me. . . oh, also, I didnt really clarify - 45 is the flow of trafic for the straight part of that road but on the turns, people generally do about 30-40 on them - theyre moderately sharp turns and unless you were in a hurry or a driving enthusiast you wouldnt really go over 35 on them. I fall into the category of driving enthusiast - this is why he flashed, it wasnt quite with the flow of traffic =P. . . but u think im alright as far as not waiting longer / turning around? Honestly, who would turn AROUND to follow a COP that flashed at them. . .
I think if you pulled over and waited for him you're just fine. Did he look at you when he flashed, or was there someone in front of him he may have been pulling over? He could have also just been responding to some other call.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Shift4
CF Newbie

I couldnt tell if he looked at me directly or not but I'm almost positive that it was me he was flashing at - there was like an F-250 directly in front of him and a cement truck in front of that . . . and his lights werent on until he saw me and I passed by him. I mean, yeah, 45 isnt that fast and it was only 10 over but im just worried that he would have pulled something like "on a turn like that it was reckless driving". . . but yeah, I mean, I looked back while slowly continuing down the road, didnt see him, pulled off the road on a sidestreet and waited for a solid 60 seconds + the 20 under slow drive down the remaining portion of the road and he never came back. . . I would assume I'm alright?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I agree with what's been said so far. If he intended to pull you over he would have done, I mean it's not as if you put your foot down and hid from him. From what I gather he was on the opposite side of the road, too?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
Shift4
CF Newbie

yep, opposite lane. . . passing me. . . I mean, i've seen cops spin around in the middle of busy streets before to pull someone over and this was like a backroad wide enough to BARELY require a 3 point turn (in MY car. if I didnt care about barely pulling off the road into the grass with my nice wheels ;-) then I could easily just spin around in one turn) and there was no traffic on the road. If he had really wanted to pull me over I would assume he would have turned around and got my now-moving-10-mph-in-a-35 self. . . Thanks for the reassurance guys
Old 02-22-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
yeah ive seen cops flash just so people check thier speed, nice guy and dont speed and you wont have a problem, it only takes one oops, and your hooped
Old 02-22-2007, 06:55 AM   #9
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift4
...right before he passes me...
If he was pulling you over, he wouldn't pass you. He'd get right on your ass and turn on his lights until you stop. Your cop was going somewhere else.

Undercover cops generally don't give tickets.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
If he was pulling you over, he wouldn't pass you. He'd get right on your ass and turn on his lights until you stop. Your cop was going somewhere else.

Moron. It must hurt to be that stupid. The cop was going the other direction, of course he was going to pass by. That is unless you want us to believe the police's new procedure is to hit speeders head on to get them to stop.

Reading your drivel was much more enjoyable when you concentrated on speaking only of things you're good at... Masturbating and idolizing me. Hopfully not simultaneously. Run along and play little fella.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Hey even if he was after you you got away
Shit When a cop hits his lights and Im goin the other way or far off I always try to get away, nothin crazy though.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #12
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by What

I see undercover cops pull people over very frequently. I was a victim also for using a cell phone while driving.

Stupid NY laws.

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie
I see undercover cops pull people over very frequently. I was a victim also for using a cell phone while driving.

Stupid NY laws.
Like the law against trans-fats. Just hope it doesn't come to Ontario. You already got them out of our chips...What more do you want? lol
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie

Stupid NY laws.
How about just saying "arrogant little Twinks who think they have control of a car while talking on the phone"? Yeah, that's it.

If you want to talk on the phone, go sit in your house. Driving is a full time job, and cell idiots like you are a wreck looking for a place to happen.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
What
Banned

I'm so damn hot.
What is offline   Reply With Quote