FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
adamc44
CF Freak

1994 honda accord engine dying

1994 honda accord
has about 117000
2.2 4 cylinder

long story but here it is....today i went to start my 1994 honda accord after getting off work and she fired up but died instantly. well i fired her up the second time and the same thing happened. so i turn it over the third time and she fires up. i thought well maybe shes low on fuel cause it was nearing empty on the honda gauge (usually about 4 gallons left in tank at that point) so i drove to the gas station and filler her up. she fired up instantly and i drove home. later i started to leave the house to go to a friends and she died. so i fired her up and she ran fine. when i came home i started up the hill to the house and she died when the car came on the incline. she would not start. it would crank over and hit a litttle bit. i replaced the plugs and wires a long time ago so that led me to believe that perhaps the air filter needed checked. i took the cover off the air filter and she started right up. i get in the car and arrive at the top of the hill of the driveway where i shut her down. she begins starting a little and dying, i thought perhaps i had bad gas. so i bought some iso heet water remover and put it in the gas tank. she sputtered a little when i started it up but began running pretty good although when i gave her the gas it would idle down to about 500 rpms and kick back up to 750 rpms. i took it for a drive to see if the iso heet would cure it and it seemed to be doing pretty good. i then came to a stop sign and the accord just completely died. she would fire up and istantly die, i let it sit for about a minute and tried it with holding my foot to the floor and she fired up and i headed back to the house. well im almost to the house and she dies agian as i head up a small hill. once again sputtering starting dying, after trying for a bit i put her in neutral and coast back to a flat spot where the car fires up. i hurry up and make it back to the house. when i backed her up and shut her off i went to restart it but now im getting no gas whatsoever.

so in other words. at first it seemed like shes getting gas and hitting but wouldnt fire up, then suddenly she would start. she died when i began to go up two hills and wouldnt start till once i removed the air filter, and second time i coasted back on flat ground. now she died for the last time and just turns over isnt even hitting.

id say its a fuel delivery problem, maybe fuel filter or fuel pump but need more ideas on where to look. any help is appreciated. ask me for more details if you need. thanks!!!!!!
sorry so long

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

Last edited by adamc44 : 03-22-2007 at 02:43 AM.
adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
do you have the tools and ability to locate and remove a fuel line, usually right at the fuel rail, make sure you dont lose the copper gasket if there is one, get someone to crank it over while you hold the line in a bucket, if fuel doesnt spray out that would be a fuel delivery issue, could be a couple things but most common would be a failed fuel pump, if it does come out the next thing to do would be get a pressure gauge and make sure the pressure and volume of delivery meets the specs. but the very very first would be to start even easierm and make sure you have spark, maybe its just me but spark fuel then compression in that order makes it easiest. or i could be way off in which case you just wasted alot of time. if you have all the right tools then it should be a cinch, if not well good luck
Old 03-23-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
adamc44
CF Freak

its a bad distributor

Old 03-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

for a honda, its unlikely to have it die at 114,000 miles.
Ki2AY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

yea your right, it didnt die at 114000, it died at 117000