Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #1
delly
CF Newbie

Battery - To buy or not to buy?????

Hi,

My car (Renault Espace Helios 1993) had a couple of dodgy starts recently, which I foolishly ignored, but now she won't start at all.

I'm not sure if it is the battery as all lights, wipers, ect. are still functioning.

Can anyone tell me if it is likely that lights, windscreen wipers, heater ect. would still work if the battery was too low to power the engine?

I don't really want to buy a new battery if this isn't the problem.

Any help gratefully received and appreciated!
delly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
Hi,

My car (Renault Espace Helios 1993) had a couple of dodgy starts recently, which I foolishly ignored, but now she won't start at all.

I'm not sure if it is the battery as all lights, wipers, ect. are still functioning.

Can anyone tell me if it is likely that lights, windscreen wipers, heater ect. would still work if the battery was too low to power the engine?

I don't really want to buy a new battery if this isn't the problem.

Any help gratefully received and appreciated!

Yes it's quite likely that your battery would still power those components and be unable to start the vehicle. I'd suggest you get a a set of jumper cables and someone with another vehicle to give you a boost. If it starts like this then it's probably the battery. If it doesn't start your gonna have to describe "Dodgy starts" I am guessing it's not the altenator as you said you had a few "dodgy starts" prior to it not starting at all. If it was the altenator you would drain the battery even with the car running. I hope that helps. Good Luck
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
delly
CF Newbie

Hi TexTruck,

Thanks for your help and advice. It's much appreciated.

First thing tomorrow I will try the jump start - if my neighbour has any leads!

I have just passed my driving test so have nothing but the car - I guess I'm going to have to stock up with some tools and manuals!

The dodgy starts I mentioned happened when I turned the ignition key - my car tried to start but then just cut out. After a couple of attempts (and applying the accelerator pedal) she started.

I thought all was well blaming the recent cold snap, until she just wouldn't start at all.

Hopefully the jump start will do the trick!

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
delly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Although you've probably tested this by now, by using jump leads or similar, I'll ask anyway, lol. When trying to start, does the engine sound kind of lazy, as if it's turning over too slowly? This would be an easy way to find out if the battery was weak, without going straight for the jump leads. From your later description, it does sond like a weak battery. Have it tested for charge, it might need a battery, or on a slightly worse case scenario, an alternator.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
TexTruck
CF Newbie

Quote:
Although you've probably tested this by now, by using jump leads or similar, I'll ask anyway, lol. When trying to start, does the engine sound kind of lazy, as if it's turning over too slowly? This would be an easy way to find out if the battery was weak, without going straight for the jump leads. From your later description, it does sond like a weak battery. Have it tested for charge, it might need a battery, or on a slightly worse case scenario, an alternator.

It's unlikely it's an alternator Cliffy as he/she suggested that the car ran fine once it did start...............you and I both know this wouldn't happen if the alternator was shot.
TexTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTruck
It's unlikely it's an alternator Cliffy as he/she suggested that the car ran fine once it did start...............you and I both know this wouldn't happen if the alternator was shot.
Can you please point me to where this was suggested? I can see that the car started, and that it wasn't this severe in the past, but nowhere can I see that "running fine" was mentioned....(this tends to suggest to me that the alternator could have failed, meaning the battery wasn't being charged) which would mean that the alternator is still a possible cause, as the car ran, but then stalled (indicating that the battery ran out of charge because the alternator wasn't doing its job)...As I said, it might just need a new battery!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-24-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote