Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
scarface19
CF Newbie

[Need opinion] 1994 Ford Fiesta 18D vs 1998 Skoda Felicia Petrol

I am from Malta, and I am going to buy a cheap 2nd hand car

Therefore with my budget I have a choice between 2 cars for the same price, and I would like the opinion of someone to solve my dilemma.

A 1994 Ford Fiesta 18 Diesel which is in good condition. Its neither a disaster, nor perfect, but decent enough.

vs

A 1998 Skoda Felicia petrol in immaculate condition. Its almost like new.

Now the thing is this. Personally I have more brand loyalty to Ford, and considering that here in Malta petrol is more expensive I have to consider the running costs, thus preferring Ford on the long run. However the Skoda Felicia is 4 years newer and in immaculate condition.

Which would you go for ??
scarface19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I've moved this to a better place for you. Should really be in the Europeam section, but it'll receive more feedback here, and strictly speaking Ford isn't European (even Ford Europe)......if you're being picky, lol

I suggest the Skoda myself. The best thing about this model of Skoda is that it was the first model...arguably, that was fundamentally built by VW, therefore you have more respect than if you bought an Estelle, lol. The Skoda will also be around the same price to by as the Fiesta I'm guessing (you didn't show prices). Another good thing about this is the creature comforts. The Skoda probably has more (Power Steering, Electric windows?) again, not enough info to really suggest this, but Ford Fiestas of this era weren't the most technologically adavnced, lol. By today's standard the newer Skoda's would hold their value better than the equivelent Fords, but this strangely doesn't seem the case with older models (people probably still aren't buying Skoda's due to their repuatation in the mid-late nineties I guess).

Anyway, I would like some more info if possible, but as it stands, the Felicia gets my vote!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-29-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
scarface19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I've moved this to a better place for you. Should really be in the Europeam section, but it'll receive more feedback here, and strictly speaking Ford isn't European (even Ford Europe)......if you're being picky, lol

I suggest the Skoda myself. The best thing about this model of Skoda is that it was the first model...arguably, that was fundamentally built by VW, therefore you have more respect than if you bought an Estelle, lol. The Skoda will also be around the same price to by as the Fiesta I'm guessing (you didn't show prices). Another good thing about this is the creature comforts. The Skoda probably has more (Power Steering, Electric windows?) again, not enough info to really suggest this, but Ford Fiestas of this era weren't the most technologically adavnced, lol. By today's standard the newer Skoda's would hold their value better than the equivelent Fords, but this strangely doesn't seem the case with older models (people probably still aren't buying Skoda's due to their repuatation in the mid-late nineties I guess).

Anyway, I would like some more info if possible, but as it stands, the Felicia gets my vote!

First of all sorry for the thread placement

Now, here in Malta, cars are really expensive, so I will give you the equivalent in dollars.

The Ford Fiesta costs like $3960 while the Felicia costs around $4300

The Fiesta got an airbag, but otherwise everything manual and no power steering. The Felicia got power steering for sure, not sure about other extras.

Anyway, what is kind of moving me towards choosing the fiesta is the running cost of fuel. Because since it is diesel it will cost me around $37 per month of fuel, while the felicia will cost me around $67 per month of fuel.

And I was also told that a diesel car gives less engine troubles than a petrol one. (for example cylinder head is metal not alimunium therefore does not "decay".. this is something i remember)
scarface19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
True_Brit
Has a new job!

personally, id go for the Skoda, never mind the bad jokes about skoda, but how big is the engine in the one your interested in???
the felicia is easy to drive too and very comfortable, as for the fiesta, i wouldnt like it, like cliffy said, it isnt the most technologically adavnced!
youll be better protected in case of a crash too in the czech car!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
andy1020
CF Newbie

Hi,

I have a disel Felicia, which is fantastic. The 1.6l petrol Felicia is also good. (Both are very good vw engines)

However- be warned- the 1.3L is the original Skoda engine and there have been reliability problems with them, so if it's a 1.6L then go for the Skoda. If it's a 1.3L then go for the fiesta. (The fiests diesels are great runners, but the body work doesn't last so well. However, that is probably more of an issue here in wet Scotland than for you...!)

Hope that helps,
Andy, Scotland.
andy1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface19
First of all sorry for the thread placement

Now, here in Malta, cars are really expensive, so I will give you the equivalent in dollars.

The Ford Fiesta costs like $3960 while the Felicia costs around $4300

The Fiesta got an airbag, but otherwise everything manual and no power steering. The Felicia got power steering for sure, not sure about other extras.

Anyway, what is kind of moving me towards choosing the fiesta is the running cost of fuel. Because since it is diesel it will cost me around $37 per month of fuel, while the felicia will cost me around $67 per month of fuel.

And I was also told that a diesel car gives less engine troubles than a petrol one. (for example cylinder head is metal not alimunium therefore does not "decay".. this is something i remember)
Have you ever considered the Skoda with a diesel engine? The 1.9-Diesel that's used in the Skoda is a VW engine and as such is very reliable. Fair enough it's not the most powerful engine in the world, but something tells me that doesn't bother you, given you other choice, lol. I believe they stuch the slightly more pokey turbo diesel in it, too....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote