Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

ok, parts changer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcutsh
If you read his post you will see there is a third light in the rear widow, which comes on when he presses the brake pedal (course that could be cause by chaffed wires in the glovebox). Also he has not even replaced the bulbs. Now what would you do first thing.

If you read my post, you will find, those are dual bulbs, Heard of those, have ya??

if you read my post, i said...

if the turn signals and emergency flashers work, the bulbs (and grounds) are fine. a 78 should not have a third brake light unless it's aftermarket...

mkay, i thought i saw turn signals in the original post. i was wrong there. but that was an proper inference, b/c on a dual filament bulb, the flashers (which he did say worked) use the same filament as the turn signals and the... brake lights... whereas the parking lights (which he also stated worked...) use the other filament... so, from that, we can infer that both filaments work if the op was giving proper information. so given that information, why change the bulbs if the op indirectly stated that they're ok? it would also infer that the grounds are ok. 78's did not come from the factory w/ third brake lights... so who knows how it got there, who put it in and how it's wired in... do you know exactly without tearing this guy's car apart? for all we know, this light could have come w/ a 2nd brake light switch to keep people from f*cking up their original wiring.

Quote:
So let me get this straight, If your engine is missing, you go for a piston change instead of checking the plug wires first? Is that how it works in your garage?

so... were his bulbs bad? so now that you've thrown parts at it, tell me about how you're right-- now that they still don't work... is that how it works in your garage? just throw parts at it until it works?

looking at the original post here, he also said that he cleaned the bulbs, which would normally entail removing said bulb and cleaning it, which would lead to diclosure of any significant amount of rust found in the sockets.... no such disclosure found, so wouldn't a visual inspection by op eliminate a problem in the bulb/socket connection area?

so now that i've chopped this info into small pieces so you can chew it. tell me where i'm wrong...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
are you guys ****ing retarded? if the turn signals and emergency flashers work, the bulbs (and grounds) are fine. a 78 should not have a third brake light unless it's aftermarket... the brake switch is the likely culprit, but i've seen the wires chafe in the steering column harness before. unhook your brake switch, (near the pedal) take a paper clip or small piece of wire, and connect the wires that were connected to the brake switch. walk around back to see if the brake lights are on...
Appologies if I'm wrong here, but do you guys have the brake lamp filaments integrated to the idicator ones? That's the only way I can make sense of the connection between the stop light bulbs being fine if the indicators are fine, and reading your last post also suggests this.....just an observation. Also, you would have noticed that I did actually advise he looks in the direction of the brake light switch, previously...

In future, before calling people "****ing retards", please remember that some of us use a proper, and clear setup for our car illuminations....

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-31-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Appologies if I'm wrong here, but do you guys have the brake lamp filaments integrated to the idicator ones? That's the only way I can make sense of the connection between the stop light bulbs being fine if the indicators are fine, and reading your last post also suggests this.....just an observation. Also, you would have noticed that I did actually advise he looks in the direction of the brake light switch, previously...

In future, before calling people "****ing retards", please remember that some of us use a proper, and clear setup for our car illuminations....

a 78 lincoln does not have tri color taillights, no... they do use the same filaments, tho... in the future, before assuming i am talking to you when addressing a bunch of retards screaming "throw parts at it!", maybe look at your previous postings and see whether or not you think it really applies to you and what you have said. and as far as the tri color taillights thing, maybe one would be best served by knowing what the part that they are diagnosing looks like before posting...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
a 78 lincoln does not have tri color taillights, no... they do use the same filaments, tho... in the future, before assuming i am talking to you when addressing a bunch of retards screaming "throw parts at it!", maybe look at your previous postings and see whether or not you think it really applies to you and what you have said. and as far as the tri color taillights thing, maybe one would be best served by knowing what the part that they are diagnosing looks like before posting...

That post is irrelevent. Although I was addressing you, I wasn't assuming that you were talking to me, hence my way of posting. I saw it as a response to my post as you addressed the same points as I did.....My sincere appologies as I am drunk at the moment....I am still in sane thought though......

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #20
bbaddog
CF Newbie

All rear lights are now working. I replaced the one bad socket by cutting it's wires and then resplicing the wires of it's replacement. I also had to replace that bulb.

The cruise control is also now working again just by my fixing the brake lights.

I plan on driving this car a little more now so I'll probably have some more questions in the future about keeping it running.
bbaddog is offline   Reply With Quote