Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #12
corbett_auto
CF Addict

You can get by with just a cut off wheel and drill. But an air chisel and a good spot weld cutter make things go a little smoother.

AS I mentioned what you will need to do once you have the new pieces is pay close attention to how the factory put the car together...then what you want to do is reverse the process, replace the needed parts and then re-assemble. Along the way yuou may discover that a few other pieces may not be reuseable..if so you will need to repair them or replace them...

As far as braces go it doesn't really matter. If I was doing it, I'd leave the doors off and take a lot of good measurments from multiple points on both sides and square everything up the best you can and brace it accordingly.... If you install the braces out of the way of the doors, then you can mount them after you tack it all together to be sure everything lines up....What you are after is a straight line between the door and the 1/4 and along the rocker panel. Take your time ligning up the doors. It is not an easy thing and could take you all day to get one side done, but all of the time spent will be worth it in the end...

The other thing you need to do is figure out how the water got in the car and caused the problems....A common problem in Mustangs is the cowl...Here is a picture of what they normally look like. This picture is after the upper section was removed:

If you dont stop the water leaks it will eventually rust out again.