Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
jacobjoey
CF Newbie

stuck valve

on a 55 crown vic, 272, fordomatic, we have a stuck valve on # 3 cyl. Car was in a barn for years, we have spark & fuel, also had 1/2 cup of wheat seeds in # 1 cyl, darn mice! Car cranks, won't start, found stuck valve yesterday, any ideas how to unstick? I've soaked with wd-40, spring doesn't budge, thanks in advance.
jacobjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobjoey
on a 55 crown vic, 272, fordomatic, we have a stuck valve on # 3 cyl. Car was in a barn for years, we have spark & fuel, also had 1/2 cup of wheat seeds in # 1 cyl, darn mice! Car cranks, won't start, found stuck valve yesterday, any ideas how to unstick? I've soaked with wd-40, spring doesn't budge, thanks in advance.
try taking off the rocker arm or at least loosening it, then removing the valve and spring, move the rocker arm up, and reinstall...or take it to a shop and have them do it..if you dont reinstall it all correctly its gona throw ur timing off and car might misfire
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
try taking off the rocker arm or at least loosening it, then removing the valve and spring, move the rocker arm up, and reinstall...or take it to a shop and have them do it..if you dont reinstall it all correctly its gona throw ur timing off and car might misfire

you've got to be shitting me.... once again, STFU!

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobjoey

really your best bet is going to be removing the heads and checking it out. after sitting for years, it could be any number of reasons that it is stuck. i'd have to say #1 potential reason would be rust on the stem. if the car hasn't been run for a long time and that valve has been in that open position, all kinds of moisture and very small critters could have gotten in there.

edit: you say there was 1/2 cup of seeds in #1 cylinder... does that mean you have the head off already and can't get the valve out?

Last edited by dodger65 : 07-05-2007 at 11:04 PM.
dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote