Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #61
Fizze06
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Oh and on a side note I know two local guy very into racing their cars. One is a 02 SS it has a Lid, Catback, Welds and a Stall. It runs 7.70s and is daily driven.

The other is a 99-04 Mustang GT. It has EVERY BOLTON available for the car, plus cams, nitrous, and welds, and it also runs a 7.70.

Seems like a lot of work to run with a near stock LS1.

I ran w/them when I had just bolt ons no nitrous....w/nitrous I would have killed him.

It seems to me that your just hardcore bowtie. I agree with you on the 4v I wish I had it.

I can't wait until the new camaros come out to see what they actually have hp wise I no what they claim they are going to have but how many times will that change when they come out.....just like the day they were to come out that has changed too in the past...they look sharp no doubt about it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 AM   #62
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizze06
I ran w/them when I had just bolt ons no nitrous....w/nitrous I would have killed him.

It seems to me that your just hardcore bowtie. I agree with you on the 4v I wish I had it.

I can't wait until the new camaros come out to see what they actually have hp wise I no what they claim they are going to have but how many times will that change when they come out.....just like the day they were to come out that has changed too in the past...they look sharp no doubt about it.

Man theyll have the LS3 and it will probably be rated like 30 or 40 hp hy of the vette but we all know it will be the same dang motor.

About me being die hard bowtie, not really man. I joke about hating for but I really actually liek ford traditional V8s but not the mod motor.

I found out why the 2V are such dogs stock they flow like 160cfm on the intake side, that is PATHETIC and ported they are gettin liek 230 BLAH.

The 3valves arent all bad though as ported one are flowing a little lower than ported LT1s around 270 cfm, that could make decent power.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #63
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

I dunno, mixed feelings. They are supposedly very reliable. My main beef is that they aren't compact and thus not very good for motor swaping. I wish Ford had done another 3-4 years on the 5.0. They could have taken it up there. If they had switched over to alluminum block or 4/6 bolt mains with GT40 heads as standard, they could of had a real contender on their hands. Instead, they didn't, which was the wrong move performance wise imho, but maybe it was good as far as reliability and such.

Will be interesting to see what they pop out with in 08 when the "Boss/Hurrican" V8 comes out.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #64
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I don't think ford even wanted to consider building a 300-350hp 5.0...thin wall casting block...not the best for reliability...though I've seen stock 5.0 blocks handle 550-650rwhp...they won't do it for long. It would have been nice, but oh well.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #65
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
I don't think ford even wanted to consider building a 300-350hp 5.0...thin wall casting block...not the best for reliability...though I've seen stock 5.0 blocks handle 550-650rwhp...they won't do it for long. It would have been nice, but oh well.

Well they have 3/8" between each bore which really isn't that bad. The issue is that the block cracks at around 500hp for the late model HO blocks. The early model versions hold more, same if you have a girdle and balance the vibrations out well.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 PM   #66
Jackal1111
CF Newbie

4.6 2V potential bottom line!

LOL,to respond to the very first post.

I'm 26 Live in Los Angeles and race often on the street and build cars/engines/street bikes as a hobby.

What it comes down to is if you can play or you cant, and who crosses the finish line first. I don't really care if you yourself have to see what you can get performance wise on a low budget, thats your deal, don't rag other engine because you cannot do what is necessary, most of know to get any real performance out of any car were going to have to get into the power- train.

I have a 2000 GT 4.6 2V which I had a custom build done on, all forged internals, ARP head/rod/main bolts, bearings, etc. Went mid Comp cams to keep it smoggable, stuck with the Pi heads and had custom work done to them by a well known head guy in the PSCA world here in Northern Los Angeles, the heads were flow bench tested, and the engine was dyno tuned, I also did a few other things, injectors, rearend/axles/detroit locker, exhaust etc during the entire process. The build did not cost an insane amount (Nowhere near a new GT Mustang for a price example) and the car put down N/A 304.3 Hp to the wheels all said and done, not bad N/A on the 2V, and bullet proof. More than your stock LT1 is putting down to the wheels no doubt about it.

Now the beef of my setup and why I had the engine built brick shit house tough, is a Kenne Bell inter-cooled supercharger, I have the 14 psi pulley and and I also bought the 9psi pulley for smog reasons. I mostly run the 14 psi setup, on the dyno at 14 psi, it put down 571.5HP at the wheels, thats 5.2HP over what Kenne Belle advertises its 14psi chargers on HP positive gain, not too shabby.

Here where I live in Northern Los Angeles, I have never been beat by any Camaro I have raced on the street period! Especially all the LT1's I have raced which it has been many. My friend has an 2002 SS LS1 with AFR heads cams, Intake manifold, whisper lid, gears, Granatelli Mass air/T, exhaust, very nice car. I'm in no way a Camaro hater, I love American Muscle period, but I smoke him like a Cojimar cigar on a cool evening.

I know I'm charged and my friends SS is not, if his was it would be no joke! But the point is, when the engine and drive-train are built correctly and the correct power adders have been installed the 2V 4.6 modular it is quit devastating to the competition, at least it is here in Los Angeles area LOL.

I have smoked many a Murcielago here on sunset light to light. My built 2V 4.6L is rated at well over what I run, I could go higher in boost if decided and be quite alright, I have been driving my stang on the road now for almost 3 years 14 psi (9 psi briefly) with no problem, so structurally there is no question to its reliability and potential.

So to answer the question 2V or not? Its up to you and what you like, they can all be awesome with the right knowledge and a little money, (I spent total half what a new GT cost for everything and theres no comparison in performance). But if you still doubt the 2V 4.6L and you have something to prove, head out to California Los Angeles area and I'd be glad to re-educate that LT1 I'm running classes all the time LOL.
Jackal1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #67
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Yah true I came to realize a few months ago that in a race budget doesnt matter. Its who wins. Arguing who spent more is useless cause if you ahve a small budget its a handicap, get used to it, if you can't hang well then sorry.

I still think the LS1 and Lt1 are better engines but I am alittle biased, and with enough money you can make ANYTHING fast.

And if I had the money Id love to head out there and run you, but dont expect a little n/a lt1 to show up, id have to put the big jets in for you.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #68
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Hrm...sounds tempting...I have 2 cars (soon to be 4 if the wife lets me touch the Scoob) that might just be enough to give you a run (Atleast one would give him a decent run, the other a run that's is completely unexpected. I'd never win with the second, but I'd hang).

Jackal, you ever run your car in the 1/4? If so what was your best time?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:28 AM   #69
Jaywalkersw
CF Newbie

Just to add fuel to the fire. For a long time Shon Herron held the bolt on only LT1 record with a 11.80 in the 1/4. It was recently broken I think ~11.6X but I don't remember who broke it. You can search ls1tech in the lt1 forum and find it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1111
LOL,to respond to the very first post.
I have a 2000 GT 4.6 2V which I had a custom build done on, all forged internals, ARP head/rod/main bolts, bearings, etc. Went mid Comp cams to keep it smoggable, stuck with the Pi heads and had custom work done to them by a well known head guy in the PSCA world here in Northern Los Angeles, the heads were flow bench tested, and the engine was dyno tuned, I also did a few other things, injectors, rearend/axles/detroit locker, exhaust etc during the entire process. The build did not cost an insane amount (Nowhere near a new GT Mustang for a price example) and the car put down N/A 304.3 Hp to the wheels all said and done, not bad N/A on the 2V, and bullet proof. More than your stock LT1 is putting down to the wheels no doubt about it.

Thats a lot of work and money (built bottom end, H/C) just to get to ~300rwhp.

My 1996 WS6 put down 277rwhp / 297rwtq with only 1.6RRs, a cat-back, and K&N drop in air filter, TB airfoil, and TB bypass free mod. I have since gotten a tune but don't have new numbers but I would guess +10-15rwhp with that. Oh btw my car is an auto with 3.23s.

The only thing it takes to get a manual LT1 over the 300rwhp is CAI, long tubes and a decent cat-back. To get an auto there add a tune to the above.

^ lot cheap and easier than doing just a H/C not to mention doing a bottom end build.

FYI I think any well built performance car deserves respect regardless of the make...even if it started out a 4cyl grocery getter.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #70
03Mach1
CF Newbie

The previous generation Ford 4.6L 2v motors were kind of weak in their stock form. That's not to say they couldn't be made to perform well. The current generation 4.6L 3v is a much stronger motor, both in low-end torque, and high-end power.

Of course, the 4 valves RULE!!

03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:02 AM   #71
HoffysGT
CF Newbie

ok i can pretty much solved this i got a settlement a few years back and pretty much pissed my money away on camaros,mustangs and 1 ws6 the one camaro had a tuned port 305 so thats out of the converstation next was a 97 gt bone stock except a pro 5.0 short shifter bbk off road x-pipe slp loudmouth 1 mufflers the car had 49,000 miles on it the best time i had with that car was a 14.8 @ 96 mph @ Numedia Raceway in Numedia,PA which from what im seeing is a pretty good time for this car it never had any motor issues never smoked wasnt bad on fuel the only issue was the intake manifold cracked which was a common problem with these first gen. 4.6 2vs i paid 8k for the car sold it for 9,500 with 61,000 miles on it now next was a 02 ss camaro with a 6 speed i put a complete borla off road exhaust on it the car had 32,000 on it at 34,000 miles and i didnt even have a chance to beat on the thing a lil the head gaskets failed and it started eatin coolant next with roughly 42,000 on the clock and 1 pass down the track the oil pump took a shit and the one and only pass i got was a 14.0 once new pump main and rod bearings were replaced i put 1500 more miles on it and got to the track again this time i didnt care if it blew sky high i pounded the hell out of that thing and barely pushed it to a 13.6 on the day of me sellin the car it developed a wrist pin knock with 52,000 miles on it and 5 passes down the track next i got an 03 cobra i changed the pulley on the blower put a sct tune on it and the thing turned 12.2s easily sadly it wouldnt hook comin out of the hole as this is the story for all mustangs only problem i had with this engine was a maf sensor crapped out i pound the living hell out of this car i bought it with 20,000 it now has a very hard 65,000 miles and no noise leaks or smoke oh and it also has a complete slp exhaust headers included now next was a 01 ws6 convertible first off what a gorgeous car however i couldnt keep transmission mounts or dash panels in the car and it would always give me a puff of blue smoke at start up and knock pretty loud til i ran 15-40 w motor oil i bought the car with 40,000 miles off of my 54 yr old neighbors wife i sold it with 44,000 miles and the best time was a 13.4 @ 99.87 mph and the next car was a 00 gt with a 2v 4.6 windsor yes thats right there still is fords out there with windsors in them not to many people know it the car had 26,000 on it i paid 13,6 for it bbk headers bbk off road x-pipe borlar mufflers and a bbk cold air intake i pulled a 13.7 @ 100 mph i then put 2200 dollars in it including patriot stage 3 heads crowler cams nitroius cams i cant remember the duration and lift performance improvement intake 75 mm dragon plenum spacer plate and elbow timing advanced 2 degrees granitelli coil packs and a fuel pump from an 03 cobra and put an sct tune on it and i ran a 12.7 @ 112 mph sadly a drunk driver totaled this car ironically on the way home from the track after making that run so i only put roughly 9 thousand miles on the car before i did any top end work and roughly 4 thousand on it after the work was done but before and after the engine work i never had a problem with it the first gen 4.6 2v was sluggish but could still somewhat hold up to a beating my cobra is amazing the camaros i wasnt impressed with and the ws6 i wasnt too disappointed with performance wise just all the problems kinda sucked but sadly if the price was right id buy another one hope i helped you guys out
HoffysGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #72
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

. , : and shift key.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #73
oplease19
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
And on the 3V i think Ford should have just thrown some 4V heads on there and charged a few grand more. Id actually want a new mustang if they had like a 350hp 4V.

The 2011 Mustang GT will have 400hp, right? It should be on sale in a year or less.
oplease19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #74
stacy532
CF Newbie

Hello Im another texas boy and would love to have the ability to run a 12 second pass n/a up here on the high plains.. I live in lubbock and own 2 stangs one a 95 cobra with an old paxton blower and a 2004 gt with a p1sc supercharger... my buddies 1996 ta bone stock runs 14.4 at 96 , and his brothers 2002 ta ran a 13.9 at 101 bone stock...just as a reference I bought this car in dec of 2007 and had it modded probably within 6 months or so.. I took it to the track and bone stock with a 2.2 60' it did 14.86 at 95mph I had a set of slicks and bolted them on and it did a 14.2 at 95.45 with a 1.9 60' bone stock 70,000 miles and in 5000' air ... which is a 13.2 in good sea level air... i managed to get the boltons on the car almost all of them.. 70mm tb plenum 3.73 gears upper and lower control arms , CAI , and a tune and it dynoed 258hp and 304lb ft of torque... I took it to the track and borrowed some 16"et streets and cut a 1.76 60' and got a 13.67 at 95.63 with a 20 mph head wind and 5500' air... I think corrected thats a 12.70 at sea level .. on a bolt on car... I know of one in ennis texas that did a 12.1 with similar mods and cams , man I would kill for that air... you can make them quick with just simple things even without boost, I have yet to dyno my car with the procharger as i learned that dyno numbers dont mean jack shit at the track, and ours has been closed for a year now...Im hoping for a 12.50 or so in decent air like 4500' for us is decent...lol

Last edited by stacy532 : 10-16-2009 at 08:01 AM.
stacy532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 AM   #75
shangybear
CF Newbie

specs

i was lookin at a stang and i found superchargers vortec has some runnin up to 819 wbhp but they also have corevettes tunnin over 1000 here is the link

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/global.php?cat=5
shangybear is offline   Reply With Quote