Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #31
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
German cars (on average) now have the second worst reliability (US cars are first, then German cars, then Japanese) on average. Now I know that ChrisV and tons of other people are gonna get pissed by that, but its fact,

No, it is a fact. VWs are the worst offenders in the reliability ratings. Porsche's aren't to bad, and the fact is, you don't have to pay for repairs in the warranty period. So cost of repairs for the first few years is pretty much a non-issue, as I said.

The thing is, I hear people sayiong don't get an old Porsche or something like that as the cost of repairs is so high. The fact is, most of them don't need major repairs, only minor things that can often be lived with. So when I hear the same thing about newer ones from non-Porsche owners, I have to take teh comment with a grain of salt, as it's merely hearsay. And new ones should need no out of pocket expenditures for repairs for quite a while (the Porsche dealers are usually better about that than the VW dealers are).

Whether they are in the shop a lot is a different story, and one I can't comment on from personal experience. But it should still not cost the owner during the warranty period.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:53 AM   #32
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjin
i'll get you a link to an ebook with all you need to know about buying a porsche

Thanks
jimeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:57 AM   #33
jimeverett
Banned

Quote:
German cars (on average) now have the second worst reliability (US cars are first, then German cars, then Japanese) on average. Now I know that ChrisV and tons of other people are gonna get pissed by that, but its fact, its in a Automobile mag from earlier this year. Its simply because they are trying to make them all so complicated now.

That's a shift. I had always heard that German cars were the top when it came to reliability. So it sounds llike they WERE, but have lost some of the reliability they had.
jimeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #34
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
No, it is a fact. VWs are the worst offenders in the reliability ratings. Porsche's aren't to bad, and the fact is, you don't have to pay for repairs in the warranty period. So cost of repairs for the first few years is pretty much a non-issue, as I said.

The thing is, I hear people sayiong don't get an old Porsche or something like that as the cost of repairs is so high. The fact is, most of them don't need major repairs, only minor things that can often be lived with. So when I hear the same thing about newer ones from non-Porsche owners, I have to take teh comment with a grain of salt, as it's merely hearsay. And new ones should need no out of pocket expenditures for repairs for quite a while (the Porsche dealers are usually better about that than the VW dealers are).

Whether they are in the shop a lot is a different story, and one I can't comment on from personal experience. But it should still not cost the owner during the warranty period.
Thats what I said just forgot the apostrophe, sorry.

jimeverett, if you are looking for a really reliable car your best bet is a Japanese car, but if you want that Porsche, theres really nothing else you can do.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:01 AM   #35
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:

jimeverett, if you are looking for a really reliable car your best bet is a Japanese car, but if you want that Porsche, theres really nothing else you can do.
Actually, his best bet would be a Porsche too.

Number 2. Followed closely by Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac etc...
Old 11-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #36
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Whoa, I have never seen that kind of results... hmm....

Old 11-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #37
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

I know it's what you said. I was agreeing with you that is IS a fact that German cars aren't so good anymore, and showing that it didn't upset me.

And like I said, newer Porsches aren't that bad.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #38
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
I know it's what you said. I was agreeing with you that is IS a fact that German cars aren't so good anymore, and showing that it didn't upset me.
Cool. Didnt wanna start another flame war over this.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #39
LORELAIIZME
CF Newbie

Question Ok

(THIS GOES FOR THE PEOPLE WHO COMMENTED A FEW PAGES AGO)Not everybody wants an ugly mini van just because they want to be able to bring more than 1 adult and 2 little people to but in the back seat of a porsche. It is one of the very few luxury suvs and it is very nice in my opinion and i find a 43,000 to 60,000 $ car in no way "cheap" as you explained it

i do have a question from somebody WHO HAS OWNED a porsche 911( which means if u dont own on i dont care) how often did you have to get maintenance on it and about how much did it cost each time?
THNX
LORELAIIZME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #40
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORELAIIZME
(THIS GOES FOR THE PEOPLE WHO COMMENTED A FEW PAGES AGO)Not everybody wants an ugly mini van just because they want to be able to bring more than 1 adult and 2 little people to but in the back seat of a porsche. It is one of the very few luxury suvs and it is very nice in my opinion and i find a 43,000 to 60,000 $ car in no way "cheap" as you explained it

i do have a question from somebody WHO HAS OWNED a porsche 911( which means if u dont own on i dont care) how often did you have to get maintenance on it and about how much did it cost each time?
THNX

Thats an extremely broad, question and do you mean maintenace like oil changes and routine stuff, no much more expensive than normally, a Ive done a few myslef, or major repairs, because those tend to be rather expensie due to packaging of the vehicle and other variables.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 AM   #41
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORELAIIZME
THNX
how often did you HAVE to get maintenance????? Bad question. Because, asking only people who've owned one how often they HAD to get it maintained is basically asking how often did it break down. I'm sure any GOOD owner has it maintained when it SHOULD be, not when it HAS to be. And you don't need to be an owner to answer that question. So you can "not care" all you want... doesn't make you any smarter.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #42
OneOfEm
CF Newbie

For all the talk about expensive Porsche repairs, there's a post just a few below this one (http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=27552) describing a repair that was less expensive that the exact same thing on my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee.