Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
greenman456
CF Newbie

How Long Before Hybrid Cars Make A Real Impact

How long do you think it will be before hybrids make a real impact on the environment ?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Hybrid cars will not make any significant impact...They actually hurt more than they help.

The batteries need to be replaced every several years, and fuel economy/pollution is not reduced by much.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
varybarry
CF Newbie

I don't see hybrid cars making a big difference, until they increase fuel economy astronomically and change the pollution to nearly nothing.
varybarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Diesel will make a much bigger impact. As stated before, yes you get somewhat better economy (around 45 instead of 38 for example), but it isn't anything amazing, but the batteries are a big issue. Current battery technology is ALOT better than before, but it still isn't great.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
What
Banned

All of you speaking out against hybrids should stop listening to poorly funded underground studies suggesting that hybrids are worst than regular vehicles. Its so typical of this generation of KIDS to be negative and go against whats popular in the mainstream.

Hybrids will impact hard within about 10 more years. Diesels are the answer? F*ck you...we've been trying diesels for a while and they are showing a surge of promise as of late, but I doubt they have the cleanliness potential of hybrids.

What you underdog mentality kids can't grasp is that hybrid technology is in its infancy...so much undiscovered potential. There are like 3 types of hybrid systems used today. How many different types of gas and diesel engines? Give hybrids chance. Once more companies get serious and commit to the technology, billions of dollars and millions of brilliant minds will focus on and fine tune the hybrid industry. Hybrids could eventually lead to a life WITHOUT gas/diesel....diesel technology will never get u there.

But what about disposal or what about the gas burned shipping all that nickel across seas? Is that what u kids have read? DVD players used to cost $1000. New, soft-supported technology always starts off with "kinks". Time and support will work out the silly reasons anti-hybrid people say Hummers are more Earth friendly. If enough people buy hybrid, companies will relocate the battery source or relocate themselves to the battery source. Shipping what?

Battery recycling is a hot topic in Chemical Engineering. So far, the nickel battery source is looking to have a more promising after-life than dirty engine oil or exhaust fumes.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Car manufacturers are trying to stop using Nickel-Metal-Hydride batteries because they are heavy and to maximize battery life, they only allow the batteries to charge up to 75% and discharge to 55%. Also, the price of nickel is going up pretty fast. Lithium ion is more promising because it's lighter, has a longer battery life and can hold more power while taking up less space...But they cost almost twice as much as Nickel batteries.

I'm not pessimistic about it, but the way I see it is that hybrids barely reduce fuel economy or emissions, and one way or another, as much as I hate to say t, we will eventually have to get off of fossil fuels eventually--be it in 10 years or 100 years. I think that there are some other more promising, permanent alternatives such as hydrogen, pure electric and possibly ethanol.