Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #1
Whitey
CF Newbie

I need Help... 60's Camaro

Hey guys, im interested in buying a 60's camaro, for restoration. I know restoration is going to cost a pretty penny, for someone who does not know much about cars such as myself. But i feel like i can do atleast some things on my own because i am pretty handy with tools because of my trade. Im 22, and finding one of these cars has been difficult to find. If anyone has any ideas of where to purchase a car good for restoring is much appreciated. Also i was wondering about how much it would prob. cost me to fix up this car. And is there some way to get like what exactly is used in the car, like get the car prints online... Im kind of stuck and i dont feel like i am ever going to start this project.

any comments is appreciated...
thanks
Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

finding a good classic car as a project is always difficult, and wanting a Camaro makes it that much more of a task....

I find that the best place to look is in the local "free classifieds" the ones that let you list for free and usually only cost a buck or two to buy...

The best projects are the ones that have never been restored and are complete. The worst are an already started project with all the pieces in the trunk...there is no way of knowing what is missing if everything is in a box...

how much will it cost...this is a very hard one to answer...it mostly boils down to what you plan to put into it...

a very bare bones only replace what is needed and do all the work yourself can be as cheap as $10k

a very simple but complete restoration done by a restoration shop usually runs in the $25k - $75k range

and finally a frame off/up restoration/custom with a high level of detail will run well over $150k...

Now for the how its put together question....there is no better resources for GM cars than a "fisher body manual" and a " shop manual". You can buy these from multiple sources and they come in either book form or on CD...because it is copyrighted material you will not find much of it online.

I hope this helps. If not let us know what I missed and I will fill in the gaps.