Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #46
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
I agree with the license retests. If it's any consolation, any driver with a license to drive semi's......1A/CDL/whatever the desigination, they have to undergo a medical test every few years to retain it.

Ummm, the total is about 18% diesel...but only about 9% are passenger. The other 9% = medium-duty/heavy-duty pickups and semi's.

As for the amount of drivers running stick.....no clue whatsoever. And that's becoming outdated, with more and more vehicles coming equipped with a CVT

And some provinces also have a handsfree only law up here....not in saskatchewan yet though.
yea..i mean people wana conserve the environment and so on and save money...buy a diesel. they last forever cause the block is cast iron, they are very clean running, and its a proven technology...im tired of this hybrid shit its BS. yea stick shifts are dying in the states unfortunately...people are getting lazier and lazier..that or they dont care for the driving experience...they just wana get somewhere, not drive there.

as far as licence stuff...we have to get licence renewed every few years..ive never had mine done so i duno how its done but why not do a basic knowledge test and visual test and such every time someone comes to renew?? or make all new drivers take a defensive driving course, no matter how old or young. i personally hate CVT...i drovea murano at work with a CVT and it sounded retarded...like you know how the newer QV (i think) motors have that nice exhaust note to them...the 350z, g35, murano, fx, etc.etc...well here it was always in high RPM and it sounded completely stupid just constant drone
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #47
newyorker
MXman

with the whole automatic and stick debate...i drove my dads 05 corolla nd moms 03 rav4 both autos while my car was in the shop and after a few days i was thinking to myself "man this is nice its effortless and comfortable" but as soon as we went to the shop today to get my car and i drove home, it was such a nice change from the slushboxes i drove over the past 3 days...it was like going from night to day in everything...the car pulls better, it sounds better, more control, better braking with downshifts, its just overall a better driving experience..of course if i was out looking for a bentley, i wouldnt let the automatic put me down i mean cars like that are built specifically for being comfortable and showing off your money...and how comfortable would it be having to drive your continental gt in city traffic constantly having to shift lol...i honestly at this point dont think i will ever go back to automatic cars unless they dont have a manual option, they just have no real benefit that i can see aside from "convinience" at the loss of about 20 other things, and il take the 20

Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 AM   #48
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Shit...driving rig with an automatic is a blessing. Hell, even a tandem gravel truck with an auto is a blessing. Otherwise you spend as much time shifting as you do driving, in city anyways. A lot of trucking companys are buying their rigs as autos, only mountain-crawlers are bought as stick for the most part.

Personally I do enjoy the ease of driving an auto, you pop it in that big ol' D and let 'er buck. But I also enjoy the control of driving stick. So I could really care less which way it goes....I enjoy the shift-tronic trannies(or whatever name you want to give them)...no clutch, but a little bit more control over what gear you're in.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM   #49
Pacman131
CF Newbie

dayum that sucks!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #50
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman131
dayum that sucks!!!

Thanks.....but it's already fixed, less then two days in the body shop...dropped it off at about 9:30am tuesday, got it back just after 3:30pm wednesday
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #51
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Shit...driving rig with an automatic is a blessing. Hell, even a tandem gravel truck with an auto is a blessing. Otherwise you spend as much time shifting as you do driving, in city anyways. A lot of trucking companys are buying their rigs as autos, only mountain-crawlers are bought as stick for the most part.

Personally I do enjoy the ease of driving an auto, you pop it in that big ol' D and let 'er buck. But I also enjoy the control of driving stick. So I could really care less which way it goes....I enjoy the shift-tronic trannies(or whatever name you want to give them)...no clutch, but a little bit more control over what gear you're in.
the DSG, SMG, tiptronic, automanual, slapstick, aint bad but i find on the cheaper cars it shifts really slow